Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 12,034 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I recently was offered a chance to take over a lease in North Beach around Grant and Greenwich. I am not too familiar with this area, and am hoping to get a better feel for it. Is it all about tourism? I am ok with that but not if it's everyday. I love the Beatnik history, and that City Lights is there, but am a bit concerned that the atmosphere is not what I think it is. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:08 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,654 times
I'm like you -- I really only hang out there around the City Lights area which borders Chinatown. I do know parking is a huge hassle there but it seems safe. I've wandered around late at night quite a bit (even by the myriad of strip joints) and never felt threatened. Grant and Greenwich is nicer than where I was at as well. The only thing I could see is that the tourism which runs rampant around Coit Tower could get annoying, but again, I only walk around this area and haven't lived here -- just trying to help from what I've seen.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,575 times
I'd love to live in North Beach, there is a strong community there...one of my friends lives there (used to).

Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 PM

105 posts, read 253,111 times
It could be cool. No noisy cable cars and walking distance to all kinds of restaurants, cafes, and bars.
Google it, go to map and use the street view to check it out. How many bedrooms? What's the rent?
Will you need to share with a roommate? Can you pick who they will be, or do they come with the fridge?
How far is your work? Can you live without a car? Parking is a nightmare there, can you afford to pay for
a garage? Will your name be on the lease, or will you be sub-letting?

I'd ask these questions and consider the answers carefully before assuming a lease. Check
craigslist to get an idea of the going rents in that area. Good Luck!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 PM

13 posts, read 53,655 times
Grant and Green is VERY noisy on the weekends. I'm talking stupid frat boys getting drunk stupid. You might think it's exciting at first, but I've known many people who live in that area that just hates it. If you're a heavy sleeper or a night owl, then you won't have a problem. NB does have it's problems especially with fights on Friday/Saturday nights. You should hang out there at night to see how it is. In the day time it's fine.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:38 PM

652 posts, read 1,784,820 times
Ask if you can spend a weekend in the place say from friday eve till sunday afternoon. That should be the worst time for noise and you'd know if you could live with it.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:41 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
North Beach is easily one of my favorite neighborhoods in SF. There are a lot of tourists there, but it's not at all like fisherman's wharf...it retains it's character, and nothing seems fake. It is really busy in parts though, especially Columbus and Broadway. Columbus and Broadway can be a little edgy at night (especially on weekends), because there are so many drunk people getting into it, and there's also often a good number of thug type people hanging out, mostly near and on Broadway where all the strip clubs are. Another thing is that criminals love that area of SF, because they can prey on drunk partyers and tourists...but such is city life. It's a great neighborhood.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:54 PM
E14

147 posts, read 545,469 times
north beach is very yuppy now, and is, like the rest of the city, stupidly expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland