Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:48 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I don't know where you were when you say "back east," but there's nothing like summer thunder storms in the Southeast. I saw on The Weather Channel this morning that LA got almost an inch of rain in 4 hours. We'd get an inch in about 20 mins during the summer here, haha.
I was born in the northeast and spent part of my childhood there. We we would get some doozies, including the summer thunder storms. I know what you mean....this is really not a "storm", just heavy rain. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 04:54 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
I was born in the northeast and spent part of my childhood there. We we would get some doozies, including the summer thunder storms. I know what you mean....this is really not a "storm", just heavy rain. lol.
Haha, it's all good. I'm not too familiar with weather patterns in California, so this storm going on may be a big deal out there. I imagine it's probably how we act whenever it snows. Everyone freaks out, and I'm sure people from up North laugh at us. We're completely clueless if it snows. The whole city shuts down, haha.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:58 PM

Does anyone remember El Nino winter 97 to spring 98? Now y'all know you better shut up (j/k) and stop complaining about this little dribble of water. hahaa. It rained every day for eight months straight if I remember correctly. Then it stopped for a couple of days in April '98 and we thought we were done. Started up again until mid-June I think when it was really over. Now that was a storm and EVERYBODY had the blues after awhile - because there was no sun and it rained 24/7 - moderate, heavy, misty - didn't matter - it was just always raining, dark, cloudy and wet outside!!! I have never complained about the rain since.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
We're completely clueless if it snows. The whole city shuts down, haha.
This is exactly what happens out west when it rains. Everything shuts down. People don't know how to act or drive. You're not supposed to slow down to 45 on the freeway. Just stay 3 cars lengths behind and drive normally. Well, normal is relevant. We like to tailgate out here. ha.

Last edited by redwoodlvr; 02-16-2009 at 05:12 PM..

Old 02-16-2009, 08:16 PM

16 posts, read 38,846 times
Minnesotan here. The land of severe thunderstorms, tornados, winter storm warnings and mosquito warnings. You don't want to go out for a stroll when the storms pull in here. I'm planning a move to your area in a year and can't wait to get out of this hectic 'weather'. I'm so tired of it constantly affecting my outdoor plans. I've been couped up in my house for about 3 months now and am looking forward to getting back out when the temp gets above 50.

Grew up in SF and thoroughly enjoyed the non-weather issues. Can't wait to get back.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:20 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
Does anyone remember El Nino winter 97 to spring 98? Now y'all know you better shut up (j/k) and stop complaining about this little dribble of water. hahaa. It rained every day for eight months straight if I remember correctly. Then it stopped for a couple of days in April '98 and we thought we were done. Started up again until mid-June I think when it was really over. Now that was a storm and EVERYBODY had the blues after awhile - because there was no sun and it rained 24/7 - moderate, heavy, misty - didn't matter - it was just always raining, dark, cloudy and wet outside!!! I have never complained about the rain since.
Yep, I remember it VERY well - I was living in South Lake Tahoe, and it didn't stop snowing for 9 months at a time! We finally just gave up on shoveling the walkway, and let a huge sheet of ice build up underneath. Definitely taught me not to complain about a little rainstorm, LOL. I was also born on the east coast (Maryland), so I'm not as sheltered as your typical Californian.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yep, I remember it VERY well - I was living in South Lake Tahoe, and it didn't stop snowing for 9 months at a time! We finally just gave up on shoveling the walkway, and let a huge sheet of ice build up underneath. Definitely taught me not to complain about a little rainstorm, LOL. I was also born on the east coast (Maryland), so I'm not as sheltered as your typical Californian.
I think it was much much worse for you up in Tahoe during El Nino. You have earned your storm wings.

My family moved out here in the 70's (in the winter) during one of the worst ice storms in the northeast and midwest. The year everything froze over. I was so happy to get out of there! I, myself, am a proud & wimpy Californian now (no offense to anyone)...so I don't want to sound like I'm all that. I can no longer handle very stormy weather, cold temps below 30 or even snow. lol. I made the mistake of visiting my cousins in NYC & Philly last winter and they couldn't wait to hoist me back on the airplane I was complaining and whining so much.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
I hope all is Cali gets a triple strength El Niño!

Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wease View Post
Minnesotan here. The land of severe thunderstorms, tornados, winter storm warnings and mosquito warnings. You don't want to go out for a stroll when the storms pull in here. I'm planning a move to your area in a year and can't wait to get out of this hectic 'weather'. I'm so tired of it constantly affecting my outdoor plans. I've been couped up in my house for about 3 months now and am looking forward to getting back out when the temp gets above 50.

Grew up in SF and thoroughly enjoyed the non-weather issues. Can't wait to get back.
Years ago in Minnesota, while on vacation, we stopped to get gas during a rain shower, which quickly developed into a heck of a thunderstorm.

We're from back east, and we MISS that sort of thing.... so we stood outside cheering with every thunder clap and lightening strike.

They must have thought we were crazy... but we didn't care. And Minnesotans are about the nicest people anywhere.... they didn't even mention we were nuts standing out in a rainstorm....

Last edited by Tallysmom; 02-17-2009 at 12:47 AM.. Reason: cat stepped on keyboard before post was finished...

Old 02-17-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I hope all is Cali gets a triple strength El Niño!
No, no, you don't want that. lol. No, no. Maybe just a mini La Nina to give us enough water.

How did you get the tilda on your n?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland