Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 04:21 PM

615 posts, read 1,171,658 times

Advertisements

Are these area's good to raise a young b-racial family. I know Brentwood further north is probably better for schools and lower crime. It is just taht i find a home that i really like in Pttsburg and Antioch. Please provide me with any feedback. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 04:07 PM

154 posts, read 925,855 times
I think Antioch and Pittsburgh have there good and bad parts. Antioch seems to be improving quickly. The side of Antioch closer to Brentwood is really nice and has a lot of new businesses going up.
The school system in Brentwood is improving quickly. Teachers cannot afford to pay for homes in more expensive areas like Danville and Pleasanton and it is driving them out towards areas like Brentwood, which is good for the people who live there.
I think a bi-racial family would fit in just fine in Antioch and Pittsburgh. I have more info on Brentwood than I do on Pittsburgh or Antioch, but hopefully some information is better than none.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 16,195 times
I do not recommend Pittsburg, as there is a lot of crime. Some areas in Pittsburg are okay for young couples or single people, but definately NOT for raising a family, as there are bad school and lots of gang violence. Antioch is a great place, because there is lots of potential, growth, and opportunity. Downtown Antioch has lots of fun shopping and restaurants, and the waterfront is beautiful! Also, the neighborhoods in Antioch in the Hillcrest/Lone Tree Way area are beautiful, clean, safe, and quiet. There are new homes being built all the time, but a lot of the older homes have tons of charm! Also, Deer Valley High School is a really good high school. There's a lot of racial diversity in the school, and every gets treated equally and not much racism, with lots of bi-racial kids. It's a good place to raise a bi-racial family, versus Brentwood or Discovery Bay, because there is more cultural diversity.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:22 AM

615 posts, read 1,171,658 times
Tawnywetzel and Wilkermoo Thank you for the good info...

Old 11-11-2007, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 117,014 times
Don't move here. If you want to live somewhere in Contra Costa County, choose Walnut Creek or Pleasant Hill. If you have to commute out of eastern Contra Costa County to a job in Oakland, San Francisco or the south bay, you will have to leave no later than 5AM to beat the traffic on Highway 4. Violent crime is on the increase in Antioch. Large chains (Macys, Sears and JCPenney) have stores here (JC Penney is coming back after leaving the area), but the stores those chains put here are not adequate (kind of like, "Okay shut up Antioch, we put our 'outlet' store there, so quit crying'), and don't compare with the stores that are in Concord. Traffic is horrible, it takes 15-20 minutes to get from the downtown area to the newer part of Antioch where all the shopping is. It is very hot here in the Summer, akin to Bakersfield. Brentwood and Oakley aren't much better. The main problem is there is only one freeway serving a very fast growing area, and that freeway met its limit 10years ago, and although Antioch residents have been paying the extra sales tax for BART (OVER 40 YEARS) --- it will never come here as promised. So that said, DON'T move to Antioch. The Section 8 problem in Antioch seems worse than other communities, put it this way, you can buy a $1,000,000 home, and have a Section 8 rental next door, with broken down cars, a dead lawn, and morons for neighbors who don't care .....

Old 11-11-2007, 03:12 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Pittsburg.. even if you stay away from Gun Point, I mean Bay Point, you're still going to find a lot of unhappy people and not much pride of ownership. In other words, it's cheap for a reason. Antioch is more of the same. If you go west to Hercules or Pinole, there is a substantial change in character and a huge decline in crime rates.. but asking prices will double or triple.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 25,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balco9 View Post
Are these area's good to raise a young b-racial family. I know Brentwood further north is probably better for schools and lower crime. It is just taht i find a home that i really like in Pttsburg and Antioch. Please provide me with any feedback. Thank you.

There are a high rate of foreclosures in both cities.
Maybe some of the families will take some the little criminals with them.

I did a appraisal is Antioch last week. It was very peaceful. Reason:
5 houses were vacant in the Cul De Sac..........beautiful 3-4 to 5 bedrooms.
I also notice stablitiy, which is a good thing. Location around Rocky Point turn left onto
Jarosite.

I did notice on the otherside of Rocky Point "people walking" people walking is not a good sign. Because Americans are in love with cars and if they have them, they drive them. These people were not exercising! They were "walking"
And another thing.......
There is a high rate of Solds and For Sales signs........the market is busted.
This means, people that have less money will be able to buy and they will bring little criminals with them.

But as far as having a bi-racial family. Newer areas are up and coming. People who buy in newer areas, want a good life style and tend to except all cultures around them. They've left their old neighborhood. Now they are moving on up to the eastside, to that deluxe house in the sky! (chuckle)

Old 03-23-2008, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 37,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawnywetzel View Post
I do not recommend Pittsburg, as there is a lot of crime. Some areas in Pittsburg are okay for young couples or single people, but definately NOT for raising a family, as there are bad school and lots of gang violence. Antioch is a great place, because there is lots of potential, growth, and opportunity. Downtown Antioch has lots of fun shopping and restaurants, and the waterfront is beautiful! Also, the neighborhoods in Antioch in the Hillcrest/Lone Tree Way area are beautiful, clean, safe, and quiet. There are new homes being built all the time, but a lot of the older homes have tons of charm! Also, Deer Valley High School is a really good high school. There's a lot of racial diversity in the school, and every gets treated equally and not much racism, with lots of bi-racial kids. It's a good place to raise a bi-racial family, versus Brentwood or Discovery Bay, because there is more cultural diversity.
You have got to be kidding. Deer Valley is indeed a beautful school, but "racial diversity" has ruined it. There is a huge gang problem there (mostly blacks and latinos) and after school assaults and robberies are an everyday occurence. Students (mostly blacks) routinely terrorize local merchants, and have had several dust ups with the police as well. There is alot of reverse racism in Antioch, especially where the police are concerned. When blacks commit crimes, they're very likely to look the other way. My daughter has two friends who have been assaulted and battered by gangs of blacks while waklking home from school, and in neither instance did the police lift a finger, even though in one case they knew who the perpetrators were. One of her friends suffered permanent brain damage after being beaten for a bag of Cheetos.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:00 AM

152 posts, read 627,750 times
Also, the neighborhoods in Antioch in the Hillcrest/Lone Tree Way area are beautiful, clean, safe, and quiet. There are new homes being built all the time, but a lot of the older homes have tons of charm! Also, Deer Valley High School is a really good high school. There's a lot of racial diversity in the school, and every gets treated equally and not much racism, with lots of bi-racial kids.

Either you don't have a scanner or you never read the Contra Costa Times.......sign up...you can even read it online. The crime rate in Antioch is up 31%....there are thugs as young as 11 and 12 assaulting 9 yr olds for i-Pods and cell phones, in the Lone Tree Hillcrest area.
Traffic is horrendous, homes are becoming deserted and crime is on the rise.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:30 PM

175 posts, read 795,433 times
Default Antioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcobrn View Post
Also, the neighborhoods in Antioch in the Hillcrest/Lone Tree Way area are beautiful, clean, safe, and quiet. There are new homes being built all the time, but a lot of the older homes have tons of charm! Also, Deer Valley High School is a really good high school. There's a lot of racial diversity in the school, and every gets treated equally and not much racism, with lots of bi-racial kids.

Either you don't have a scanner or you never read the Contra Costa Times.......sign up...you can even read it online. The crime rate in Antioch is up 31%....there are thugs as young as 11 and 12 assaulting 9 yr olds for i-Pods and cell phones, in the Lone Tree Hillcrest area.
Traffic is horrendous, homes are becoming deserted and crime is on the rise.

Have you ever driven down Lone Tree. If you do lock your doors and hope your car is bullet proof. That is one BAD area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland