Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,406 times

Advertisements

My daughter is about to graduate from UC Davis with a BS in Env Science and a big student loan (we couldn't afford her tuition on our wages). She hopes to become a high school science teacher and is wondering whether obtaining her teaching credential online is looked down upon. She wants to graduate, find a job to help pay her student loan, and take online classes for her teaching credential. I've been told by a friend who teaches AP biology at a private high school that with so many teachers being laid off, she wouldn't stand much of a chance with online credentials. Thank you for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,537 times
Well the largest hurdle would actually be how she acquired her student teaching experience. I'm not sure how one would go about that in an online class, and it is absolutely the most important part of any credential program. Nobody will hire her without that experience.

Why an online program? It is possible to work and take teaching classes at a university. If she needs to work she might want to go into a two-year teaching program instead of trying to complete the credential in one. That being said I personally worked 30 hours a week while I did the one year program at Sonoma State; however it was very taxing and scheduling my student teaching/ job was hell.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,367 times
Default There are sooo many options

Look at Azuza Pacific where you can attend class twice a week from 4:30-9:30PM. Or on-line at WGU. Both would allow her to substitute during the day, which I believe will really help her to find the grade level and district that she will be the most happy working with/for. If she chooses an online program, she should ENSURE 1st that if there is a technical issue in uploading her assingments, her grade will not suffer for it, and the program provides the support she will need. I don't know what it's like now, but I know 4-5 years ago, CalState Teach was incredibly disorganized, rapidly replacing directors and very unsupportive of those in their teaching program. If she is a good substitute she will be requested back time and time again to the schools that like her. Forming good relationships with the office manager, the principal, the other teachers and the parents is what will really help when it comes time to securing a position, and will be done naturally if she can maintain control while still being kind and respectful to the students. BEST OF LUCK!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:45 AM

178 posts, read 346,933 times
I run an organization that works with teachers and many school districts. I'm also the son of a classroom educator. There is simply no substitute for being in the classroom, learning effective teaching techniques, and building the toolbox that is needed to best educate. There are teacher credentialing programs in various cities that may have a loan deferral component as well (look up Teaching Fellows, Teach for America, and or The New Teacher Project for ideas. As someone who hires a large number of classroom educators each year, online experience is simply that. I would assume a candidate with an online credential has some useful knowledge and theory, but against any candidate that has been tested in a classroom setting on a regular basis, they would likely be considered less experienced and ready for the rigors of the classroom.

There is also something to be said for being in an educational setting with a class of peers if that is the setting you hope to teach in.

I would also start now and do a monthly scan of science positions in the schools. I would imagine these teachers are in demand. Don't rule out private or charter schools as well just to get to know the field andmaybe do some informational interviews with principals to see what they are looking for.

Just my $.02. I wish her good luck. We need every strong teacher we can find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland