Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:58 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

SAN FRANCISCO — The San Francisco Chronicle joined the lengthening list of imperiled newspapers Tuesday as its owner set out to purge the payroll and slash other expenses in a last-ditch effort to reverse years of heavy losses.

If it can't reduce expenses dramatically within the next few weeks, the Hearst Corp. said it will close or sell the Chronicle, northern California's largest newspaper with a paid weekday circulation of 339,430.

Troubled San Francisco newspaper in danger of closing - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 09:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Man, what a shame, but this is the way the country is headed. Technology is replacing so much of what many of us grew up with. I guess our parents said the same.

Being older, we could not survive without our daily newspaper, but for our 3 kids it is different and for our grandkids totally different. Our oldest daughter get the paper on Sundays, why? to read the ads. She and hubby get all their news onTV or the net..Middle daughter, does depend on the newspaper, daily. She is the big reader in the family; son, when he is traveling he gets and believes every word written in USA Today, otherwise I don't think he picks up a paper..

I have to admit, as much as we can not be separated from our daily paper fix, we do depend on the net as well..

Now seeing these papers fold is exceptionally hard on us, my husband's degree is in journelism.

Nita

Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
I only get the WSJ at home.

The Chron needs to focus on increasing net revenue from its website, which is one of the most visited newspaper sites in the world.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

If it can't reduce expenses dramatically within the next few weeks, the Hearst Corp. said it will close or sell the Chronicle, northern California's largest newspaper with a paid weekday circulation of 339,430.
I can think of likely buyers --> BANG/Medianewgroup.com but i think the monopoly laws prevent them from buying it.

Cox might since they own KTVU/KICU and own papers in the south.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I can think of likely buyers --> BANG/Medianewgroup.com but i think the monopoly laws prevent them from buying it.

Cox might since they own KTVU/KICU and own papers in the south.
Think that NewsCorp might be interested in buying it? Of all of Rupert Murdoch's newspapers, the only ones that make money are The Australian and the WSJ. Murdoch sees newspaper ownership as a means of having political influence rather than as a means of making money - buying the Chronicle would in effect enable him to control the political discourse in the Bay Area and by extension influence California politics.

(And no, I do not think this is a desirable situation!)

There's talk of allowing BANG/Medianewgroup.com to buy the Chronicle in order to save it.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
The real question is should it be saved at all. I'm not so sure it should be.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
The real question is should it be saved at all. I'm not so sure it should be.
I think it should not just because of tradition but also because it does provide jobs (although far fewer than it used to).

I am not a fan of Rupert Murdoch and there are many San Franciscans who would be horrified at NewsCorp taking over the Chronicle, but I personally would rather see the Chronicle become a West Coast version of the NY Post than see it disappear altogether.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:57 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Murdoch purchasing the Chronicle would only hasten its demise, I'm afraid. I will miss the Chronicle

Old 02-27-2009, 01:54 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I think it should not
Is there supposed to be a comma there?

Old 02-27-2009, 02:55 AM

166 posts, read 490,023 times
Tom Stienstra's outdoor column has been the only outstanding part I've read the past few years.

If the paper version is eliminated I'll still read the online daily. I'd pay to read.

Free news online, especially during a bad economy, what do people expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: