U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,708 times

Advertisements

Hey, moving to Stanford to complete my ph.d.
Since I spent my recent life on campus I'd rather avoid campus residence.
Rents in Palo Alto doesn't seem much cheaper than in SF. How hilarious would you consider looking for a room in, say, Potrero Hill and commute with Caltrain to Stanford daily? Monthly ticket is just 150 $...

Marco
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 04:35 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,300,953 times
If you can afford it...

I have a friend who was a law student at Hastings for a year before transferring to UCLA. He said he had to barricade himself in his room in order to concentrate on studying and to minimize the risk of going outside and being enticed by all that San Francisco offers since law school (and any other form of graduate studies, for that matter) leave you with very little time for a social life.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:06 AM

802 posts, read 2,171,591 times
I wouldn't do it. The commute that you would have (MUNI to Caltrain, Caltrain from SF to PA, Caltrain to campus) would probably take at least 90 minutes each way, unless you timed each connection perfectly. Also, note that after the 7:21pm departure from the Palo Alto station, trains will only run once an hour. Muni routes also have limited buses in the evenings.

I would guess that most grad students live pretty close to campus so if you are looking to hang out with your classmates and peers, you'd probably also want to live close to campus.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 PM

3,005 posts, read 5,840,383 times
Are you ABD in a field which permits distance? If not, then living in SF would be a logistical nightmare. This is not Europe! If you need to be in the lab or in close contact with your advisor, you will regret the distance and hassle.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:08 PM

7,688 posts, read 27,588,484 times
Caltrain only stops at Stanford during football games. Otherwise you'll need to transfer to the shuttle at Palo Alto. Not a big deal but it'll add an extra half-hour a day.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:26 PM

transport Potrero Hill to SF train 20 min (incl wait time)
Train: 30 min
Wait for Stan Shuttle 10 min
Stan Shuttle 10 min
On a good day: 70 minutes....Add 15 minutes for the return as trains are often a bit late on way back home. Total time 2:35 hrs.
Location: Portero Hill...a dump and not without danger, esp if returning at night.

Bike ride from PA to Stanford? 10 minutes each way.

Beside: you are a PhD student. Save your urban adventure for your post-doc. Now is your time to interact with your peers and mentors And take full advantage of campus life!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 PM

802 posts, read 2,171,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Stan Shuttle 10 min
On a good day: 70 minutes....Add 15 minutes for the return as trains are often a bit late on way back home. Total time 2:35 hrs.
Location: Portero Hill...a dump and not without danger, esp if returning at night.

Beside: you are a PhD student. Save your urban adventure for your post-doc. Now is your time to interact with your peers and mentors And take full advantage of campus life!
Just also wanted to point out that the time above is for a baby bullet train. On a non-express train, you're looking at 50 minute or so ride.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,708 times
Guys, thanks! I kinda thought it was irrealistic, but I just reckoned I would ask. And as to transportation, having lived in Bloomington IN for two years I kinda noticed it's not Europe :-)
Thanks again,

Marco

Old 03-01-2009, 11:56 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,359,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Stan Shuttle 10 min

Presumably if the person lives in Protero hill they would not leave from the SF station, but from 22nd station, which is right next to Protero hill. The Baby Bullet from there would take 32 minutes to get to Palo Alto. Overall it doesn't make much difference, I would assume it would take 10-15 minutes to walk to the station. As for the shuttle, if you're lucky you will just need to go some building near the main quad, and in which case you can take the Palm Dr express which stops at the station every 9 minutes, and takes only 9 minutes. That would be more like 60 minutes on a good day, but still one hour is one hour.

In theory you could also just take your bike, and that might cut out some 10 more minutes from that commute, but bike space is tight on the Baby Bullets, and 22nd St is the second stop.

As for the commute times from PA to Stanford. Unless you live right at downtown Palo Alto, college terrace, Stanford West or some other areas right outside of campus, I don't think you can get from PA to Stanford in 10 minutes. It takes 8-10 minutes to ride a bike from E.V. to many parts of on the west side of campus. 15-20 minutes seems more reasonable for most of Palo Alto.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 AM

XmarcoX,
Stick with my PH numbers for realistic travel and with Card07's 20 min estimate for biking from most of PA--I lived on Calif ave and had the benefit of a traffic free short-cut. My numbers hold for West of the tracks. Once on the other side of the tracks, 20 min would be more accurate. And if further out, it can be as much as 40 minutes (drive rather than bike?), although I knew no grad student who lived terribly far away.

More options when you are ABD.
Lucky you...I can use a few more years of the Farm to catch up on relaxation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland