Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by economix-nole View Post
Maybe there are some studios that I don't know about but I don't see how $40k can live comfortably in SF.
$40k is about $2,500 take home per month. Let's say that someone did find a studio for $996 a month, that'd be 39% of income. How again is this comfortably living?
Here's 193 of them between 450 and 760:

SF bay area rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

(technically not studios, but they are rooms for rent, you live in there just like you would live in a studio apartment.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:19 PM

It's a good thing when housing is more expensive where you live, as long as you can afford to live there yourself. It means the area is desirable, and the economy is good.

I don't think anyone would argue that Manhattan or London or Paris are undesirable places to live. No one can afford a single family home at a six figure salary in those places, either.

In The Great Cities of the World, the majority own a small piece of a large building, and do not own the land under the building.

If owning a whole building, and the land underneath, is important to you, then you need to move outside of The Great Cities to a less desirable area. Then you will have your own building and own the land underneath, however, other aspects of your life will be nowhere near as good as they are in The Great Cities, unless you're a very rich person.

Oh sure, you could get your own house for $500 a month in a small town 800 miles from anywhere in Kansas, but would you really want to live there?

Old 06-30-2014, 10:07 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
And if it were, you'd still have to find that $996 studio. Good luck.

It is quite possible to find a room share in the area for that price range, but for private space, you'll need about 20% more than that at a minimum. Think 50%-100% more for most desirable neighborhoods.
OP could look at Berkeley ... $700/month gets you a fantastic tent in a Berkeley backyard.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
It's a good thing when housing is more expensive where you live, as long as you can afford to live there yourself. It means the area is desirable, and the economy is good.

I don't think anyone would argue that Manhattan or London or Paris are undesirable places to live. No one can afford a single family home at a six figure salary in those places, either.

In The Great Cities of the World, the majority own a small piece of a large building, and do not own the land under the building.

If owning a whole building, and the land underneath, is important to you, then you need to move outside of The Great Cities to a less desirable area. Then you will have your own building and own the land underneath, however, other aspects of your life will be nowhere near as good as they are in The Great Cities, unless you're a very rich person.

Oh sure, you could get your own house for $500 a month in a small town 800 miles from anywhere in Kansas, but would you really want to live there?
Actually, many people would NEVER want to live in these areas. Paris and London are not my idea of a good quality of life and NYC would be a stretch too. Just because a place is super crowded and expensive, doesn't mean it's a great place to live.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Actually, many people would NEVER want to live in these areas. Paris and London are not my idea of a good quality of life and NYC would be a stretch too.
Really?? Why not? Everything is within walking distance, or if it is farther, you can get to it via public transit. London, Paris, and New York are Great Centers of Modern Civilization, and they have everything one would need for daily life as well as means to enrich your mind and soul. They have museums, libraries, restaurants, movie theaters, nightlife, beautiful women...what more could a man want?

Quote:
Just because a place is super crowded and expensive, doesn't mean it's a great place to live.
It means that a lot of people desire to live there and consider it a great place to live.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:49 PM

btw why don't people know how to quote on this web site? It is just like HTML except you use square brackets (to the right of the P key on a standard US 104 key layout) instead of angle brackets. You use "quote" in square brackets without the quote marks to start the quoted block, and "/quote" in square brackets without the quote marks to end it. That way you don't have to waste bandwidth quoting the whole message and bolding the part to which you are replying, and instead quote only the part to which you are replying.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:15 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
Really?? Why not? Everything is within walking distance, or if it is farther, you can get to it via public transit. London, Paris, and New York are Great Centers of Modern Civilization, and they have everything one would need for daily life as well as means to enrich your mind and soul. They have museums, libraries, restaurants, movie theaters, nightlife, beautiful women...what more could a man want?

It means that a lot of people desire to live there and consider it a great place to live.
First of all, the weather alone in all three cities is pure crap. Second of all, the cities are so large and spread it out, it can be a real chore to get OUT of the urbanized area and find access to nature. I will give you that NYC, Paris, and London are all great cities to VISIT, but I have absolutely ZERO desire to actually move to any of them. I applied to a doctoral program in NYC and was thisclose to attending, but I eventually decided that it would be too intense for comfort, and I chose to stay put in the Bay Area. Personally, I like living in Oakland and being a 15 min BART ride away from all the chaos I want, pretty much whenever I want it. Surely, I'm not alone...

Old 06-30-2014, 01:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Really?? Why not? Everything is within walking distance, or if it is farther, you can get to it via public transit.
Density isn't the only path to walkability. It only takes good zoning, good planning, and infrastructure.

Those places are too big for me. But I do enjoy having good stuff in walking distance, and other things within in a short distance.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:25 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
First of all, the weather alone in all three cities is pure crap. Second of all, the cities are so large and spread it out, it can be a real chore to get OUT of the urbanized area and find access to nature. I will give you that NYC, Paris, and London are all great cities to VISIT, but I have absolutely ZERO desire to actually move to any of them. I applied to a doctoral program in NYC and was thisclose to attending, but I eventually decided that it would be too intense for comfort, and I chose to stay put in the Bay Area. Personally, I like living in Oakland and being a 15 min BART ride away from all the chaos I want, pretty much whenever I want it. Surely, I'm not alone...
Ditto (except the graduate program )
You are not alone.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
First of all, the weather alone in all three cities is pure crap.
Yeah we have good weather in the Bay Area, but that's beside the point.

Quote:
Second of all, the cities are so large and spread it out,
Spread out? The cities I listed are dense. Maybe you're counting the surrounding suburbs as being part of the actual city.

Quote:
it can be a real chore to get OUT of the urbanized area and find access to nature.
Nah, that's what your car is for, for when you want to get out of the cities. Or you can take the bus.

New York City actually has a National Park inside of it.

But an example of a National Park outside of NYC would be Fort Stanwix. To get there, according to Google Maps, you would take the "Maple Leaf" Amtrak train from New York Penn Station to Toronto Union Station. So, see, it is easy.

Quote:
Personally, I like living in Oakland and being a 15 min BART ride away from all the chaos I want, pretty much whenever I want it. Surely, I'm not alone...
Well, both SF and Oakland are large cities. So that tells me that you do in fact enjoy being in a dense urban area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland