Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:52 AM

7,324 posts, read 3,804,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsfloat View Post
My husband's job will be different from here. He's a nurse but will be working in a whole different field of nursing. A lot of his friends worked in the bay area, made lots of money (by working a lot of overtime) and then came back to Utah debt free and able to work a normal 36 hour week. That's kind of what we're thinking. I know it's going to be way different. I hope I am prepared enough for the change. It will definately be an adventure.
If you've already decided on San Francisco, then that's that, but I just wanted to mention that there are hospitals elsewhere that are always hiring nurses. John Muir and Kaiser in Walnut Creek, Alta Bates on Oakland. My brother is a PACS tech at one of them and he always brags about how nurses are making over $100k. Anyway, the point I am trying to make is there is more affordable housing to the east of San Francisco, and in some ways, a better quality of living. Certainly, better public schools. Expect an hour commute minimum to San Francisco. Maybe 40 minutes to Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 02:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,157 times
I may be relocating to: San Francisco - looking for best area to live with the top schools in San Francisco - Thoughts on Mill Valley, or any other - green area, what will a three/four bed apartment cost - any other areas. (can you get something around $4000-$5000 per month.

Also may be going on a 9 month stint alone - will want to cut those cost down - can you find for a 2 bed apartment anything for say $2500 per month.

Cheers

Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 AM

11 posts, read 46,425 times
I'm going to 2nd Pacifica. I've looked at moving there and it seems like a nice little community. The schools are good and it's a short drive to SF. You aren't going to get much for 2k, but you should be able to find a modest 3 br if you look for a while.

Other than that, maybe san carlos? You won't get much more than 2 br apt for under 2k, but the schools are great and maybe you'll get lucky?

Fremont is probably more within your budget, but the commute would be rough. At least an hour by car and 40 minutes (not including drive time) by BART (plus $10 each trip).

Honestly, you're going to have to choose between renting an apartment close to the city for 2k, or renting a house for 2k and having a long commute. You can find good schools in either situation.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:14 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg69 View Post
I may be relocating to: San Francisco - looking for best area to live with the top schools in San Francisco - Thoughts on Mill Valley, or any other - green area, what will a three/four bed apartment cost - any other areas. (can you get something around $4000-$5000 per month.

Also may be going on a 9 month stint alone - will want to cut those cost down - can you find for a 2 bed apartment anything for say $2500 per month.

Cheers
If you posted a new topic here instead of posting in a topic from over a year ago by someone with a different situation you'd probably get more replies.

$4000-5000 a month is a pretty high budget for an apartment so you should be able to find good places. $2500 for a 2 bedroom is pretty reasonable but it probably won't be a luxury sort of place.

For picking a place to live it really depends on where you work and how long you want your commute to be, there are lots of wealthy towns with highly-ranked schools scattered all around the Bay Area. Marin and Contra Costa County are fairly convenient to work in San Francisco but not convenient at all if you were working in Silicon Valley.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:50 PM

6 posts, read 13,016 times
man our area sucks over here (bay area) too expensive, schools horrible! would not recommend ANYONE move here unless they have no choice!

This comes from someone who has lived her for 17 years and has a 2 year old! i AM FLEEING BEFORE SCHOOL AGE!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Bye.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,468 times
Castro Valley, Dublin, or Pleasanton have good schools, are family friendly, and should be affordable.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,971 times
Take a look at Half Moon Bay, it's about a 40 minute commute tithe city, schools are ok an it's a beautiful place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland