Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:02 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsa View Post
Marin County--prices have fallen below their $1.2 million average home price, which is just lovely, but they seem almost indestructible no matter how severe the downturn gets. I've heard that banks are holding on to huge numbers of foreclosed homes because they don't want to go to the trouble of cleaning them up and listing them, so all of the inventory is going to waste. Does anyone foresee an influx of foreclosed, cheaper homes in Marin County, or is Marin the last, unpoppable bubble in this world? Are residents still going to be laughing in their mansions to the very end, drinking wheat-grass cocktails while the rest of the Bay Area fills up with foreclosure signs?
I think they'll get theirs. It has just taken a lot longer than it took the similar regions in Southern California, but they're following the same pattern now. When the low end crashed 40-50% it was just a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:06 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Its not gonna last. Id give it another year or so and then prices will rise.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:04 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its not gonna last. Id give it another year or so and then prices will rise.
I respectfully disagree. I don't think prices are going to rise for a very long time...if at all. Those Alt-A resets are all just beginning to reset this year..people are still getting laid off..the banks are still only lending to the "prime" borrowers with 20% down. Nobody's getting raises with their jobs, many people have lost an awful lot of their retirement funds, and many people that are finding jobs are taking pay cuts. Prices will only rise when the banks start lending to anyone with a pulse that thinks they can afford a 500k house on a 40k salary... Then of course, it's another bubble all over again.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I respectfully disagree. I don't think prices are going to rise for a very long time...if at all.
As far as the very lowest price range, I actually dont mind prices remaining stagnant. From a buyers standpoint, that's awesome.

I just cant see prices staying that low for more than a year and a half.

Unless of course, the glut of homes persists, but then sales are soaring.

I dont know. I used to be able to predict the Bay Area housing market quite well, but we are in unchartered territory so I guess nowadays its anyones guess.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:16 AM

2,963 posts, read 3,530,002 times
Quote:
I respectfully disagree. I don't think prices are going to rise for a very long time...if at all. Those Alt-A resets are all just beginning to reset this year..people are still getting laid off..the banks are still only lending to the "prime" borrowers with 20% down. Nobody's getting raises with their jobs, many people have lost an awful lot of their retirement funds, and many people that are finding jobs are taking pay cuts. Prices will only rise when the banks start lending to anyone with a pulse that thinks they can afford a 500k house on a 40k salary... Then of course, it's another bubble all over again.
I agree, let's hope there is better regulation when the housing market heads upwards.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:34 AM

32 posts, read 97,987 times
Quote:
the banks are still only lending to the "prime" borrowers with 20% down.
As it should be...

Old 04-11-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlymember View Post
As it should be...
I totally agree.

There were people on SSI and Welfare getting home loans? How absurd is that?

Old 04-11-2009, 12:06 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Tryn View Post
I thought I heard some of the bad things about S.F. . Someone posted contrary to common belief all of the men are not gay,and I think Hunter's Point is not a decent place to move to. We all knew the prices would crash in S.F.. I ask, WHY would anyone want to live in Cal. with all of the negative surrounding Cal. . except for the weather? It is not any better here ! In Illinois 10% sales tax , the car license is $70 , and the foolish new Gov. is talking about raising the state income tax. We DO have water, that is getting cut off south of Stockton. The story said 90k Mex. will head south of the border. Will some one give me more things to consider about moving to S.F. please. We are conservative with high morals as we have a daughter. I find it disgusting for men to be holding hands around me. Lesbianism is o.k. by me. As long as they are nice looking. I AM judgemental. I don't approve of pedaphiles or drugs. I may be too strange for S.f. , I know little about the area , and have no use for the East Bay. Oakland looked like Haiti on CNN when that man got shot recently . I will look at the demo for Oakland but I think they are not as good as Montana for example. I'm not Clint Eastwood. Feedback on S.F. for family life.
You'd probably be more comfortable in Kansas with other ignorant bigots

Old 04-11-2009, 12:23 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,530,002 times
I didn't realize there was a significant stock of $225,000 priced homes in the Bay Area.

Last edited by D-Towner; 04-11-2009 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 12:38 PM

186 posts, read 448,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsa View Post
Marin County--prices have fallen below their $1.2 million average home price, which is just lovely, but they seem almost indestructible no matter how severe the downturn gets. I've heard that banks are holding on to huge numbers of foreclosed homes because they don't want to go to the trouble of cleaning them up and listing them, so all of the inventory is going to waste. Does anyone foresee an influx of foreclosed, cheaper homes in Marin County, or is Marin the last, unpoppable bubble in this world? Are residents still going to be laughing in their mansions to the very end, drinking wheat-grass cocktails while the rest of the Bay Area fills up with foreclosure signs?

Hehe! This made me laugh so hard! Of course I am just jealous that the closest I ever came to being a Bay Area resident was long weekends spent at my ex-boyfriend's mom's house on the water in San Rafael. I moved somewhere affordable where, unfortunately, there are lots of people like that odious poster, Michael Trynn or whatever his name was, and I wish I was back with all of you! Marin County is my favorite place in the whole world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland