Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 02:05 PM

46 posts, read 163,852 times

Advertisements

Me and another undergrad engineering student from U-Michigan both have summer internships in the Oakland area. What would be good (cheaper, young) places to look?

I've been to Berkeley, so I know that is definitely an option, but it is hard to find something in the price range (500-700 a month per person more less, don't really know), plus with the UCB semester not ending until almost June, the schedule doesn't work right, as we both start around May 1.

We're both pretty big guys, and I grew up in DC and Baltimore, so I don't mind some place that is not the cleanest or safest place in the world.

I've seen some craiglist postings for a place in West Oakland (28th and Myrtle) and then another place in Alameda at Summer House apartments. Any thoughts on those places?

I will probably have my car, he will not, but I'd like to take public transit/ride my bike to work on Broadway/Grand.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 02:52 PM

655 posts, read 1,982,838 times
Can you find a short-term place for a couple of weeks? You can get much better deals if you can hold out for a summer sublet near Cal, where there are lots of college students and places to go out.

Neither of the spots you noted are especially young/college-student-ish neighborhoods. I would pass on Summer House altogether---not only is the development itself very weird (right on a major road, rehab of old apartments, near very little nightlife and almost no young people) but you'll have the tube to get through to get to Oakland. Alameda is more of a family scene, and that's centered on the other side of the island as far as most nightlife (though there are a few great spots along Webster). That West Oakland neighborhood still struggles with crime but has active residents and families too (plus a City Councilmember living nearby). However, while it's on a bus route to downtown, it's pretty far from nightlife and other transit options---you'd need to walk to Emeryville or Uptown Oakland, both a bit of a haul.

Your price range should be feasible for something somewhere along the corridor between Cal and Downtown Oakland (Telegraph/Broadway/College---just avoid Rockridge, which is expensive and in the middle of that stretch) which is probably where you want to be if you're looking for other college students. You may also be able to negotiate a short-term lease with landlords, too, especially if your internships end before mid-August (when many Cal students are looking for places).

Old 03-20-2009, 03:09 PM

46 posts, read 163,852 times
Thanks a lot.

Also, is there anyone who could give me a good comparison of Oakland to Baltimore, MD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland