Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 08:30 AM

43 posts, read 156,208 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have specific information about this community called Bay-O-Vista in the hills above San Leandro, CA, 94577? Trying to figure out if it is a good place to relocate.. how are the public schools, any problems with crime, drugs, gangs, etc..

Specifically looking for a rental home in this neighborhood, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

John
screensaver at cox.net
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
It's a very desirable neighborhood and certainly the best in San Leandro. The major perk of Bay-O-Vista is the view out the window - you can see all the way to San Francisco. The elementary school is good, but the middle and high school are borderline. Castro Valley would be stronger in that area.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
I love that area. Its definitely a place to relocate to.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:01 PM

337 posts, read 733,125 times
I agree with what the others have said. Bay-O-Vista is by far the nicest neighborhood in San Leandro (Estudillo Estates is pretty nice too.) Public schools are good for elementary only. Many families in Bay-O-Vista send their kids to Bishop O'Dowd (private) in Oakland for high school.

Bay-O-Vista has good central location. You can make it to Downtown Oakland in 20 minutes or less. Berkeley maybe a few minutes more. Pleasanton is doable in 20-25 minutes as well.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athleticsfan72737489 View Post
I agree with what the others have said. Bay-O-Vista is by far the nicest neighborhood in San Leandro (Estudillo Estates is pretty nice too.) Public schools are good for elementary only. Many families in Bay-O-Vista send their kids to Bishop O'Dowd (private) in Oakland for high school.

Bay-O-Vista has good central location. You can make it to Downtown Oakland in 20 minutes or less. Berkeley maybe a few minutes more. Pleasanton is doable in 20-25 minutes as well.
Bishop O'Dowd draws many students from the East Bay... lots from Oakland of course and San Leandro-Castro Valley is probably second.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Bishop O'Dowd draws many students from the East Bay... lots from Oakland of course and San Leandro-Castro Valley is probably second.
A lot Castro Valley kids after attending Our Lady of Grace attend Moreau www.moreaucatholic.org, San Lorenzo is probably split between O'dowd and Moreau and All San Leandro kids do O'dowd usually.

There are plenty of other private schools around there to pick from as well as parochial ones.

Castro Valley over-all has better schools. Castro Valley High was just named a distinguished school 09 or whatever.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
A lot Castro Valley kids after attending Our Lady of Grace attend Moreau www.moreaucatholic.org, San Lorenzo is probably split between O'dowd and Moreau and All San Leandro kids do O'dowd usually.

There are plenty of other private schools around there to pick from as well as parochial ones.

Castro Valley over-all has better schools. Castro Valley High was just named a distinguished school 09 or whatever.
My brother is looking ahead at High Schools right now... he is pleased with Independent in Castro Valley as a grade school for his kids and very uncertain about CV High.

A co-worker of mine husband is a High School teacher and they pulled their son out of CV High last year over concerns they had.

I don't have the latest demographics from O'Dowd... last time I checked there were a significant number from CV and even some from Dublin and San Ramon...

Moreau and O'Dowd have been arch rivals since the beginning and I'm sure it will continue

Bay O Vista is only minutes from O'Dowd whereas Moreau is much farther away...

Old 04-12-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:

A co-worker of mine husband is a High School teacher and they pulled their son out of CV High last year over concerns they had.
That is too bad they were unable to work it out. Did they remove him from school altogether?
What kind of concerns did they have?

I have 5 friends whose children attend there currently and have no problems. As well as a bunch of alumni who all had great experiences from there.

Here is the website about distinguished schools.
2009 Distinguished Middle and High Schools - California School Recognition Program (CA Dept of Education)

There was recently a thing about a bunch of small minded religious fanatical parents upset because a gay pastor came to speak on diversity days. Wah wah. So the upset parent broke into the email list and emailed parents illegally about it. These are the types of people who should enroll their precious children in parochial school as I attended much of my life, instead of expecting public schools to teach their religions morals. Tolerance is a lesson we all should learn.

Back when i went there, it was really white and homogenous. It is much more diverse now. Rachel Maddow from MSNBC graduated from Castro Valley High, as did the dead bass player from Metallica (Cliff Burton), but he attended Marshall Elementary.

But then again, Tom Hanks went to Chabot College and that doesn't seem to mean much these days.

Quote:
I don't have the latest demographics from O'Dowd... last time I checked there were a significant number from CV and even some from Dublin and San Ramon...
I would assume they have parents who have business out that way then. That is how a lot of us determine where we will send our children regarding private schools.

The families I know in the area Dublin/San Ramon send their kids to DeLeSalle. Don't know where the girls go because they all seem to have boys.

Everyone from my parochial school attended Moreau after they left us. But they did not catch rides with parents who worked one direction or the other, they all had stay at home moms like i did.

It also may depend on which end of town you reside in. We all lived on the East side of town in the hills. I suppose if I lived in BayOVista that would be closer. But I had family who did live on Longview Drive and they went to Castro Valley private schools.

[/quote]
Moreau and O'Dowd have been arch rivals since the beginning and I'm sure it will continue

Bay O Vista is only minutes from O'Dowd whereas Moreau is much farther away...[/quote]

Keep in mind, you have to go to bancroft middle school to get your kid to O'dowd if you are using the San Leandro public school system, and my cousins went there, they said it was not the best of the best, but since their parents were both teachers, they made it out just fine.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
That is too bad they were unable to work it out. Did they remove him from school altogether?
What kind of concerns did they have?

I have 5 friends whose children attend there currently and have no problems. As well as a bunch of alumni who all had great experiences from there.

Here is the website about distinguished schools.
2009 Distinguished Middle and High Schools - California School Recognition Program (CA Dept of Education)

There was recently a thing about a bunch of small minded religious fanatical parents upset because a gay pastor came to speak on diversity days. Wah wah. So the upset parent broke into the email list and emailed parents illegally about it. These are the types of people who should enroll their precious children in parochial school as I attended much of my life, instead of expecting public schools to teach their religions morals. Tolerance is a lesson we all should learn.

Back when i went there, it was really white and homogenous. It is much more diverse now. Rachel Maddow from MSNBC graduated from Castro Valley High, as did the dead bass player from Metallica (Cliff Burton), but he attended Marshall Elementary.

But then again, Tom Hanks went to Chabot College and that doesn't seem to mean much these days.

I would assume they have parents who have business out that way then. That is how a lot of us determine where we will send our children regarding private schools.

The families I know in the area Dublin/San Ramon send their kids to DeLeSalle. Don't know where the girls go because they all seem to have boys.

Everyone from my parochial school attended Moreau after they left us. But they did not catch rides with parents who worked one direction or the other, they all had stay at home moms like i did.

It also may depend on which end of town you reside in. We all lived on the East side of town in the hills. I suppose if I lived in BayOVista that would be closer. But I had family who did live on Longview Drive and they went to Castro Valley private schools.
Quote:

Bay O Vista is only minutes from O'Dowd whereas Moreau is much farther away...
Quote:
Keep in mind, you have to go to bancroft middle school to get your kid to O'dowd if you are using the San Leandro public school system, and my cousins went there, they said it was not the best of the best, but since their parents were both teachers, they made it out just fine.
Her son is graduating in a few weeks. The father works in Pleasanton and it was no problem getting a transfer from CV to Pleasanton... I'll have to ask her which High School.

Their other children, daughters, went to CV and did well and they also completed the UC system and now on to Grad School. My cousin's also went to CV with mixed results... the girls did very well and the boy didn't.

One of my best High School friends is a teacher at CV and deals with special ed and students having trouble. He's related plenty of instances of the Narcotics Officers picking kids up on campus... never had to deal with that going to High School in Oakland, but, maybe it's that way everywhere now?

Don't forget that Tom Hanks went to Oakland's Skyline high and has/is an active supporter of Skyline and credits his drama teacher for starting his road to success.

I've met Tom a number of times during his Chabot Days... last I heard, they are still waiting for him to pick up his Diploma...

It might be another case of the grass is greener somewhere else. I manage rental properties with a lot of single family homes in the mix. I hear the same things just about everywhere from my Renters with school age children.

Those in Oakland want to move to San Leandro... those in San Leandro want to move to Castro Valley and those in Castro Valley want to move to Pleasanton.

Well, I should say just about everywhere except Piedmont and Alameda. For some reason the parents seem satisfied with these two cities that I have experience with.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
One of my best High School friends is a teacher at CV and deals with special ed and students having trouble.
I have one friend who's special-ed child that came from Marshall to Canyon and on to HS. They teach them life lessons (how to get along when they are adults) more than academics. Perhaps this is not the special ed group you are talking about. I also have a friend who's child ended up leaving CV to go to Redwood Alt. and would fall into the category of "in trouble". I thought these are different groups since neither of my friends children know each other in school circles.
Quote:
He's related plenty of instances of the Narcotics Officers picking kids up on campus... never had to deal with that going to High School in Oakland, but, maybe it's that way everywhere now?
Our neighbor was the narc on campus when I was just in 3rd grade which would have been the 80s. Can't really help the outside riff raff coming into town and going on campus unless you are lucky enough to catch them. The school has too many kids to keep track of really. My high school had about 300 kids. CV has 2000 or something like that.

Quote:
Those in Oakland want to move to San Leandro... those in San Leandro want to move to Castro Valley and those in Castro Valley want to move to Pleasanton.
Pretty true statement. Oakland HAS moved into San Leandro last I looked. I know continuation school has drastically changed in that city and the High school has as well.

Quote:
Well, I should say just about everywhere except Piedmont and Alameda. For some reason the parents seem satisfied with these two cities that I have experience with.
Encinal sucks as far as crime and gangs go. Alameda High is still a good school from what I have heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland