Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 10:41 PM

615 posts, read 1,172,191 times

Advertisements

Is it a good place to raise and family, schools any good, how is the crime, and far from San mateo?
Home prices seem more reasonable there to compare to anywhere else in the Bay Area. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 11:55 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
I spent a lot of time there about twenty years ago. It has likely changed a lot since then, like everything, but I loved it. Friendly, good people, real old time Golden State friendly...affordable...only bad thing I would say it that it gets hot as blazes in the summer, like all the valley towns.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:11 PM

154 posts, read 926,069 times
The homes out in Modesto are a little cheaper than some other areas, but you are farther from big city amenities if that matters to you at all. Modesto has its good parts and its bad parts. It is an older town and has a lot of businesses there. I think that if you pick a good neighborhood it would be a great plae to raise a family.
Modesto is about 90 miles or so from San Mateo. Some of the towns around Modesto are nice, I personally think Turlock is nice and it is getting better and better. Ripon is another town that you could look into.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:32 PM

6 posts, read 35,089 times
Unhappy Turlock is a good place to live and raise children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balco9 View Post
Is it a good place to raise and family, schools any good, how is the crime, and far from San mateo?
Home prices seem more reasonable there to compare to anywhere else in the Bay Area. Thank you.
I have lived in Turlock for over twenty years and am now sad that because of age (nearing 80) I must move to be near family. I am selling my lovely home and have had some misgivings about the market.
I am not looking to make a "killing" just be fair to both buyer and seller.
It's an older home but well cared for and has grape arbor, peach trees, orange tree, wisteria, roses, etc. You don't find that in new homes.
Four bedrooms, three baths, family room, living room, country kitchen.
Realtor and internet both quoted upper 370s. Is that fair?

Old 03-21-2007, 10:58 PM

Jerseygirl31 send me some pics of your home your selling. Thank you.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:08 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
I grew up in Modesto and the best area in my mind was the La Loma neighborhood. There is a grade school nearby, La Loma Jr. High School, and then Downey High School does busing from the La Loma neighborhood.
The area is beautiful, lots of 1950's ranchers in good condition, mature trees shade the streets, etc. Very nice, and expensive, part of town.
It's probably around 80 miles to San Mateo. I don't know for sure, but you'd have a long drive. I used to drive back and forth between San Francisco and Modesto to make pizzas for extra income when I was at SFSU. It's not a short drive and worse if it includes commuter traffic.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:51 AM

841 posts, read 2,260,955 times
Cons
Gangs (influence is great on youth)
Weather (Summers)
Activties for the youngins

Pros
?
Trader Joes, In&Out
Private Schools
Agriculture

Old 03-27-2007, 02:10 PM

Thank you for talking me out of Modesto california superior...
Doesn't sound like a place to raise a family, if you want your
kids to grow up right.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:20 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,234 times
Quote:
Thank you for talking me out of Modesto california superior...
Doesn't sound like a place to raise a family, if you want your
kids to grow up right.

Born and raised right next door to Modesto in Riverbank, CA. I would suggest that you avoid both of those towns and check out Oakdale instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland