Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 01:54 PM

7 posts, read 8,369 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, so I just moved up the Bay Area from LA. I am currently living with a friend in San Jose as it is close to my company. I am however looking for a place in the city for my girlfriend, myself and my brother (looking for a 2 bdrm). They are both planning on working in the city, but I am planning on taking the shuttle my company provides from the city to work. We considered living in one of the cities up the pennisula, like Palo Alto or Mountain View, but seems like their best chances of finding a job are going to be in the city. Anyways, we have narrowed it down to Noe Valley. We keep reading about all the gangs in the mission and were wondering if there ever is any spill over into Noe Valley? My shuttle pickup would be either 24th and Guerrero, or San Jose at Guerrero. Are these okay areas to be going? One better than the other? Also, my brother has a brand new mercedes, any chance this wont get broken into? Sorry for all the questions, appreciate any help you can provide to some new bay area residents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 PM

473 posts, read 1,327,939 times
If you are from LA, you will laugh at what we call "gang problems" up here. Yes, there are some gangs, and yes, there is some gang-related violence... but it is light years away from the gang problems LA faces. Oakland is a different story, but I don't think you'll find the senseless gangsta violence you see in LA up here.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
If you are from LA, you will laugh at what we call "gang problems" up here. Yes, there are some gangs, and yes, there is some gang-related violence... but it is light years away from the gang problems LA faces. Oakland is a different story, but I don't think you'll find the senseless gangsta violence you see in LA up here.
Thanks for the response. Just wondering.. the thing with LA is that I lived in LA but in a really nice part of LA (right near Playa Vista) that was really far from any bad areas. I guess I was worried because it seems like gang-related violence can be so close to you here. This is my and my girlfriends first time living in a big city so maybe were being way too paranoid? Also, do you know about those bus stop areas that I mentioned? Thanks again!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
We keep reading about all the gangs in the mission and were wondering if there ever is any spill over into Noe Valley?

No not really, anywhere west of Mission Street is a lot safer than anywhere on or east of Mission. Valencia is sort of noisy because there's a lot of shops and restaurants and bars but it's a lot safer than Mission. Guerrero and Dolores are more residential.

My shuttle pickup would be either 24th and Guerrero, or San Jose at Guerrero. Are these okay areas to be going? One better than the other?

Either should be ok especially early in the morning. Cesar Chavez is kind of ghetto-ish in parts so 24th might be better than San Jose.

Also, my brother has a brand new mercedes, any chance this wont get broken into?

Cars can be broken into anywhere in SF. Noe Valley is a nice area but it is still in a big city. Unless he parks it indoors it will risk being broken into. A less flashy car would be less of a risk too.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the response Mayor! Im probably just being paranoid... I heard something about not being able to wear red or blue in the mission?

Old 08-04-2010, 04:21 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post

Gang violence in general is less prevalent in the Bay Area than in LA... Oakland included. That's "gang violence" as in "you will be violently attacked for wearing the wrong color," you know...the bloods and the crips, etc. The bloods and crips were never very succesful at their attempts to expand up here, as the existing gangs usually would run them out of town before they get any kind of foot hold. Those blood/crip sets that did establish themselves didn't last very long. Aside from latino gangs (Nortenos and Surenos), people don't care about colors in the Bay Area. Most "gangbangers" over here are just people who are from the same hood/project, etc, and who all rep that hood/project...they have rival sets, or "gangs" but it's not really the same. Most gangs here aren't really organized or "official" or anything. They get worked up over where you're from and what your doing, but not over colors. Gangs here are tied to their neighborhoods, and thus are plentiful but small and don't expand/have branches in other hoods/cities, etc. The latin gangs are part of a bigger system (born out of mexican-american prison gangs back in the 60s, which are still around today) that is strong throughout CA, and are pretty serious about colors though. People do get killed or injured in mistaken identity gang things here with regularity, even if it may or may not be with quite the same frequency as in LA.

When it comes to violence per capita though (and not just gang violence, which we have no real measure of anyways), SF has had more of it than LA since 2005, and was never all that far below in the decades before that. Same for Oakland, obviously...though it's almost always been higher than LA, at least since 1985.

Violent crime rate per 100k residents:

SF - 959.1
LA - 820.6
SF - 1,036.4
LA - 786.9
SF - 1,037.1
LA - 718.4
SF - 1,024.1
LA - 689.5

Old 08-04-2010, 04:54 PM

Thanks Rah. Isnt the mission where most of the latino gangs are? Since im living close to there... just be careful not to wear red or blue.. at least to play it safe!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:59 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celzcali View Post
Thanks for the response Mayor! Im probably just being paranoid... I heard something about not being able to wear red or blue in the mission?
Oh ffs.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
The gangs and violence and crime mainly stay east of Mission. Just don't go east of Mission and you won't have any trouble. East of Mission isn't THAT bad especially during the day, but it is grubby and there are sketchy people all over the place, and gang shootings at night are common. You really don't have to worry about gang colors in the heart of the Mission though and especially in Noe Valley. In Noe Valley the biggest danger will be dodging strollers and finding parking near 24th.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:08 PM

Thanks Mayor. appreciate the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland