Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 08:34 PM
ABM ABM started this thread

339 posts, read 992,142 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We'll be moving from Georgia back home to Oregon. Napa Valley, in particular, Calistoga, is on the itinerary. My wife wants one of those mud baths and a massage.

Anyway, we're on somewhat of a budget, so I picked out these two places to stay and dine.

OK? Good value and accommodations all things considered?

Calistoga Hotel and Spa - Roman Spa Hot Springs Hotel Offers a Relaxing Napa Valley Spa Vacation.

Boskos Trattoria - Calistoga, CA

Thanks!

ABM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,089 times
Hi,

I'd not stay at any of the spas - kind of run down and Motel 6. Try a good motel, MUCH better rooms. Stevenson Manor is good, great rooms w/ decks & fireplaces, newer, pool. (think it's a Best Western or something) Then maybe go get a spa treatment at a spa and you can return to your room without having to actually stay at the spa. (Not a great idea, trust me... noisy, plain, tiny, kind of flimsy feel... you won't be "charmed", guaranteed).

Food - yeah, Boskos is fine, but I'd go to them for lunch, not dinner. You might want to splurge on the All Seasons Cafe - which does a kind of poor lunch but GREAT dinner. Memorable, a little pricey though. Lots of wine.

If you've got time to visit wineries, try Sterling, Ch. Montelena, and Storybook Mountain, in that order. Great places to see & tour. If you're buying any of their wine, don't bother with Sterling (average). Ch. Montelena has great Estate Cab., but really expensive. Storybook has Zinfandel that'll knock your socks off... high side of "bearable" prices, certainly less that Montelena. But just visiting those 3 wineries is a lot of fun.

Don't forget the mini-Old Faithful geyser in town (anyone can tell you where). They have a small herd of the infamous Fainting Goats right next to it. Cute goats, so-so geyser.

Next town south on Hwy 29 is St. Helena... also cute, fun, good shopping for Napa Valley junk, lots of restaurants nearby, about 10 minutes south of Calistoga.

Sorry about rambling on. Hope all that helps.

MK

Old 04-07-2009, 02:19 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
If you like a retro vibe, I'd recommend Dr. Wilkinson's.
I've only had the mud bath and massage there, haven't stayed there, but it's pretty retro funky (in a good way if you like that kinda thing)

http://www.drwilkinson.com/

Otherwise you may want to try the MountView really enjoyed the massage and facial I had there. Not sure if they do mud baths there or not...and the room was nice as well. (and they don't have a 2 night minimum like alot of other places in the area for weekend stays).

http://www.mountviewhotel.com/

Old 04-09-2009, 06:34 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I'd skip the geyser total tourist trap, really seedy feeling to it.

For a good meal at a reasonable cost, the Calisotga Inn is a good choice, and Brannan's is great.

As mentioned previously, Ch. Montelena has some exceptional albeit more expensive (but worth it!) wines. You don't even need tot aste to wander theri beautiful grounds. You can also split a tasting.

Sterling is fine if you want to spend the money for a really nice view. But don't bother going for the wine.

Schramsberg has a fun tour and well done tasting, and is well worth the fee.

An often missed gem is Bennett Lane, very friendly tasting room with a couple great wines.

Frank Family has decent wine, and I don't think they charge a tasting fee. They also have a picnic area.

We had a poor experience at Clos Pegase, I simply can't suggest visiting there. Plus the place is butt ugly.

Instead of the seedy motels, you might want to look at a B&B. There are a few in that area that seem very reasonable.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 PM

807 posts, read 1,302,395 times
You might definitely want to choose St. Helena over Calistoga. Also there is a cool Wine Train that goes from Napa through the Wineries in Napa County.

Calistoga is rundown and reminds me too much of a village in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland