U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:54 PM

800 posts, read 4,143,347 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a seminar in Sonoma soon and wondered if you guys have any advice for me since it's my first time in Northern California I'm excited, of course

I'm thinking of flying into San Francisco and seeing a few sites there. Then, maybe drive down to Sonoma and see some of the wine country. But, then again, I'm thinking maybe San Francisco is a separate trip 'cause there's lots to do there I bet I wonder if Sonoma has a lot to do? I like to shop, see nature, etc. I'm easily entertained LOL.

And, this next question may seem a little 'stupid'. I looked on a map to see how close Sonoma is to the beach. I only ask because I may entice my surfer hubby to come with if there's decent surfing nearby (June should be warm water, right? LOL--he has a full wetsuit). And, please, don't say Half Moon Bay! LOL He doesn't have a death wish LOL.

Any advice or help would be most appreciated.

I'm in Sonoma on the weekend portion of my trip, so I'm considering a B&B or maybe the Best Western in town a.k.a. Sonoma Valley Inn.

Thanks in advance!

Peace,
L
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 07:40 PM

14,999 posts, read 24,064,073 times
Sonoma is pretty far from the beach, about an hour to Bodega Bay, or Point Reyes but I think the ocean up here is COLD.... no matter what time of year. I don't know anything about surfing, but in my opinion the ocean is rough, with lots of rip currents. An experienced surfer might think I was being a wussy -- and I am.... I'm sure there are online surf condition reports so he can find out the real information.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. We usually rent a car so the distance wouldn't be a problem, but turns out I'm going solo on this trip So, no surfing issues--I'm a terranean girl or land-lubber as they say

Going to stick to just Sonoma area during my stay

Can't wait

Old 03-29-2007, 03:26 PM

29,137 posts, read 48,988,850 times
Well, Sonoma is actually UP from San Francisco - LOL. But seriously, Sonoma itself is very beautiful, and nearby Napa is a wonderful place to visit. You should take a day-tour, where they drive you around (good for avoiding DUI ) to some of the best ones... also try to hit a "champagne" (sparkling wine) vineyard, and a few of the fabulous local restaurants. Here is a great map of wineries in the region:
http://www.napavintners.com/maps/map...a_wineries.asp Geez, I never realized just how many there are!!
And if you get a chance, the Culinary Institute in St. Helena is a neat place to see... great food, wine, kitchen supply store, gorgeous building, etc. Here's more info on that:
http://www.ciachef.edu/visitors/gs/

Oh... I was about to answer your beach & SF questions, but see your plans changed a bit. Hope you have fun anyway, and still try to get some wine-touring done - it should be almost as enjoyable alone!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:44 PM

Thanks, gizmo! Hee hee! regarding the bit about 'UP.' Where I live everyone says, "I'm going down to..." regardless of the elevation or north-south orientation I'm going to check out those links so thanks!

Can I ask some more questions?

Which is better to fly into? San Francisco airport or Oakland or Santa Rosa/Charles Schulz airport? I have to take a shuttle to Sonoma (or, well, Petaluma if I can't get a hotel room in Sonoma--I'm calling today LOL).

Is there good taxi cab service(s), etc. in Sonoma? I'll have to take a cab from the hotel to my seminar for two days.

I'm working on avoiding renting a car 'cause I want to save $ to buy cool stuff

Many thanks and bear hugs in advance for the kind help!

Old 03-31-2007, 06:28 PM

29,137 posts, read 48,988,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
Thanks, gizmo! Hee hee! regarding the bit about 'UP.' Where I live everyone says, "I'm going down to..." regardless of the elevation or north-south orientation I'm going to check out those links so thanks!
LOL... sorry, I couldn't resist! But I totally understand, since I always used to say "up to San Jose", until somebody corrected me on that. For some reason, it always feels like you're traveling UP, regardless of where you're going.

Quote:
Which is better to fly into? San Francisco airport or Oakland or Santa Rosa/Charles Schulz airport? I have to take a shuttle to Sonoma (or, well, Petaluma if I can't get a hotel room in Sonoma--I'm calling today LOL).
Santa Rosa airport probably won't have any decent flights/rates, so I'd go with SFO or Oakland... just depends on your exact route, airline, and price budget. Lots of people prefer Oakland simply because it's less crowded, and easier to get in & out of, but I usually go with SFO. Just be prepared to sit in traffic, if your flight happens to land during our rush-hours! But as for taking a shuttle, I'm not sure if they have one to Sonoma... probably do, so I'll see if I can find anything on that for ya. One popular airport shuttle is called "Quake City Shuttle" (not to make you paranoid or anything, hehe), but I'm not sure how far it goes.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:25 PM

27 posts, read 195,348 times
Horizon air is flying into Sonoma County/Charles Schulz now. I can not think of any shuttle service that goes into the town of Sonoma (even from SFO or OAK). It is a rather small town and the only tourists are wine tasters. So a limo service or taxi are your choices if you do not want to rent a car. I would suggest spending the money to rent a car if you are planning on doing any sight seeing. Like I mentioned Sonoma is small and most things to see or do are out of the town.
Also, check Glen Ellen or Kenwood for places to stay (B&B's). They are closer to Sonoma than Petaluma.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:47 AM

Thanks and hugs for the helpful suggestions!

I'm going to fly into San Francisco I think and take a cab, even though it's expensive. If I fly into there, I will only be on one plane versus four to get there, which is much better I think

I'm not in the mood to rent a car I don't think LOL 'cause it's my vacation I've taken Super Shuttle from various airports to various hotels around the U.S. so I'll probably hire them.

I'm going to stay in Sonoma walking distance to some of the attractions and then, take a cab or get a ride from a classmate to my class

Should work out LOL...

I'm always open though for more refinements

Old 04-02-2007, 12:43 PM

I thought of more questions...BTW, I did find a shuttle van for $45 from SFO to Sonoma Yay!

I want to see one winery only really. I'd like to do the rest tourism really. I have really only part of one day and one full day and the rest, I'm in my seminar.

What are the absolute must-see things? I'm thinking I could spend tons of time at the Sonoma Plaza...lots to do there with historical things, siteseeing, eating, shopping, etc. I think I can even walk to it from my hotel...I'm quite the walker when I'm on vacation LOL--it's the endurance athlete/bike racer excellent condition I'm in--I've been known to walk up to 8 miles in one day...hee hee! So, that's why I don't rent cars I do take some cabs LOL

Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 27,916 times
Hi Angel Bear- I've lived in Sonoma my whole life, it is always funny to me when people say go to Napa. The plaza is great, if you like good food, lots of shops, and interesting history, you will enjoy yourself. There are many fantastic places to eat, Himalayan, Mayan, Porteguese, Thai, Irish pub, along with Mary's Pizza, a local place. The park itself is a great place to people watch. We like to take our kids down there in the morning on the weekends before it gets too busy. Go to Basque Boulangerie for your coffee and a great selection of pastries and cookies. If you are into history, there is the mission, the barracks, and General Vallejo's home is a 10 min. walk away. I could go on and on, if you have any more questions, please ask or pm me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>