Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,669 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I need some help and found that this is the best to look for it. I am a sinlge woman ( turning 30 ) next year and looking to make the move from sleepy Williamsburg VA to Northern Calif. I am looking at getting a job in the legal field and would like to live close to San Francisco and was looking at Alamdea County or Walnut Creek. Do you have any thoughts on where else to look? Price of renting an apartment and where would be a good place for a single female to live? Any other thoughts or advise would be great. I know that times are tough and the job market sucks, but thats everywhere so just helpful information that I may not already know would be super !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:59 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
I'll offer you the same advice as I'd give to anyone looking to move here w/o a job already lined up...DON'T.

California's unemployment is higher than average. I know many very highly skilled, college educated people that have years of experience and have been out of work for well over a year now. Unless you have at least 18+ months salary in the bank, I wouldn't bet on finding a job right now to pay your rent. In addition, landlord's are unlikely to rent to someone w/o proof of employment.

Sorry to sound so bleak (under different circumstances I'd say "go for it"), but it's the way it is here at this time. Get the job first, then move.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:42 PM

8 posts, read 22,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I'll offer you the same advice as I'd give to anyone looking to move here w/o a job already lined up...DON'T.

California's unemployment is higher than average. I know many very highly skilled, college educated people that have years of experience and have been out of work for well over a year now. Unless you have at least 18+ months salary in the bank, I wouldn't bet on finding a job right now to pay your rent. In addition, landlord's are unlikely to rent to someone w/o proof of employment.

Sorry to sound so bleak (under different circumstances I'd say "go for it"), but it's the way it is here at this time. Get the job first, then move.
I read this all the time about how much it costs to live in Calif. So my question is where do all the older people living on social security live? I need to move to Calif. soon but only make around $1600 soc.sec. monthly, so where could i live on this, would like Mendo, or Humboldt, but would live anywhere in Calif. I use mj for medicine is my reason for moving from Fl. Here 20g is a felony, and being a peaceful old guy i dont wanna go to jail, specially for just relieving my pain, Any help appreciated.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:52 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMUNNY View Post
Hello everyone, I need some help and found that this is the best to look for it. I am a sinlge woman ( turning 30 ) next year and looking to make the move from sleepy Williamsburg VA to Northern Calif. I am looking at getting a job in the legal field and would like to live close to San Francisco and was looking at Alamdea County or Walnut Creek. Do you have any thoughts on where else to look? Price of renting an apartment and where would be a good place for a single female to live? Any other thoughts or advise would be great. I know that times are tough and the job market sucks, but thats everywhere so just helpful information that I may not already know would be super !!
I would agree with the above poster, don't move until you have a job! I would try to research headhunters in the Bay Area to see if they can help you. If you have budgeted to move out anyways, you might let the headhunter know that you would be willing to pay for your own relocation.

Once you have a job then you can research areas to make your commute reasonable. Good luck! The bay area is a great place.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:58 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
There are several threads on this very topic you might want to peruse for tons of helpful and insightful info... here's one..(hopefully the link will work)..//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...te-income.html

To specifically answer your question though.. I don't actually think that many older people living on social security are moving in from out of state...most have been here forever and get by on very little because their mortgages are normally payed off. Do some preliminary housing/apartment searches for Mend/Ft Bragg/Humboldt and see how the housing costs look. You might something in your price range!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland