Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:02 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
There was this one day in downtown SD, there was this van that has this banner draped across the side that says "Gay is a Sin". This van was going through the blocks to show this.
I see this all the time in SF. There's at least one or two people who love to drive their anti-gay, anti-liberal slogan-covered cars through downtown SF, on a semi-regular basis. There's also a few guys who always hang out at Powell and Market with big signs telling you to repent, join jesus, condemn homosexuality, etc. Once i was waiting for the bus in the Castro (the gayborhood of all gayborhoods, for any who don't know), and some guy started screaming about how god hates gays, and they should all die. Granted, he was kinda nuts...but the point is, just because we're the "liberal mecca" according to some, doesn't mean there aren't bigoted people here. In fact I've been to SD countless times over the years, and I've never once seen people condemning others' lifestyles in public (i'm sure it exists, just saying...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 11:18 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
SF=Bay Area
SD=SD County

Do you never leave the city limits of SD or SF? We are comparing the general regions and not just some slice of land inside imaginary boundaries. Does it really make a difference here? get real.

I see it but it's not the majority of people that are like that and they do not bother me b/c I am not so close minded and judgmental as some, especially those that seem to think the only good people are "liberals" and that looks at crap that way.
Bay Area people are the worst when it comes to a parochial view that arbitrary political boundaries actually mean anything. Funny, when I am in a plane or up on a peak looking down I can't see any lines. Looks like one City from the Golden Gate, on down to Coyote Valley, then all the way up the East Bay shore and oozing through the East Bay hills. And that is what can be seen, it goes on even further beyond that.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:58 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,476 times
Quote:
\

It's big because of the PORT, or at least that is one of the catalyst that propelled it to be a bigger city than SD early on. The railroad too played a big role in LA's development. There are many reasons SD is much smaller and it has nothing to do with "republicans". SD has always had boosters trying to expand the city but it was hard to compete with LA. Go learn some CA history if you want to know more why LA is much bigger than SD.
I believe it has to do with conservatives in the area until recently about 50/50. If you have a military presence, then more than likely there's a large conservative presence. You are fooling yourself that's not the case. Everything about SD is conservative. Never seen so many meatheads, lifted trucks, sprawl, segregated neighborhoods, strip malls, lack of art, car culture, etc...

LA started with Ports buy why not SD. Why? Doesn't SD have 90 miles or beaches? Any of those can be ports. People in SD is the problem that is the reason why they are still a small town.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:03 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,476 times
Quote:
SF=Bay Area
SD=SD County

Do you never leave the city limits of SD or SF? We are comparing the general regions and not just some slice of land inside imaginary boundaries. Does it really make a difference here? get real.

I see it but it's not the majority of people that are like that and they do not bother me b/c I am not so close minded and judgmental as some, especially those that seem to think the only good people are "liberals" and that looks at crap that way.
You are kidding me right comparing the whole Bay Area to SD county. That is such an unfair comparison. Why don't you include LA in with SD as well, if you're going to do that. Bay Area is so huge with so many different cities and counties that vary so much from each other while SD county is the opposite. Jeesh!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:18 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
I believe it has to do with conservatives in the area until recently about 50/50. If you have a military presence, then more than likely there's a large conservative presence. You are fooling yourself that's not the case. Everything about SD is conservative.
You seriously have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. I strongly suggest you crack open a book and learn about the history of the two cities instead of coming up with your own BS scenario in your head to justify your point of view. You're fooling yourself into believing what you want to. Yes there are conservatives in the area but that is NOT the reason SD is smaller at all. Conservatives tend to be pro growth more so anyways and if it wasn't for the military SD would even less developed than it is. I'm guessing you are not aware of this too but the Bay Area used to have a ton of military installations and has a very deep military history as well.
Quote:
Never seen so many meatheads, lifted trucks, sprawl, segregated neighborhoods, strip malls, lack of art, car culture, etc...
Well narrow minds see and focus on what they want so this isn't really surprising. You're a fool if you think some of those elements don't exist in the Bay Area.
Quote:
LA started with Ports buy why not SD. Why? Doesn't SD have 90 miles or beaches? Any of those can be ports. People in SD is the problem that is the reason why they are still a small town.
Again GO LEARN some history. There is plenty of information right here on the internet. LA building an artificial port is pretty much the biggest reason SD never fully developed a major port, despite having a good, natural harbor which LA did not have. LA basically "stole" SD's chances of being a major industrial and shipping center.

Last edited by sav858; 06-13-2009 at 01:41 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 01:23 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
You are kidding me right comparing the whole Bay Area to SD county. That is such an unfair comparison. Why don't you include LA in with SD as well, if you're going to do that. Bay Area is so huge with so many different cities and counties that vary so much from each other while SD county is the opposite. Jeesh!
I'm not the one that started the thread and everyone else are comparing the regions, like they USUALLY do on City-Data. What difference does it honestly make or are you just looking for another trivial thing to nitpick about?

Yes b/c we all know SD cities are exactly the same. I mean Rancho Santa Fe and Imperial Beach are practically identical. I can't even tell the difference between Carlsbad and North Park. You've never even lived in the Bay Area so stop acting like you're some expert and know it like the back of your hand b/c you don't.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:32 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVinWA View Post
How much better IS the weather in SF compared to Seattle, though? Are there any statistics on the amount of sunny days per year?

I too am in Seattle and am contemplating between SF and SD.
I am a weather junkie but don't have the links...but even the cloudiest parts of SF get more sunshine than Seattle.

In the cloudiest parts of SF (by the ocean), the sun shines 58% of the time, on average.

In the sunniest parts of SF, (on the Bay side), the sun shines 66% of the time, on average.

Of course, in SF, if you get tired of the clouds and fog, you can drive an hour away and be out of it.

In San Jose (one hour's drive), the sun shines 72% of the time.

I don't know the sunshine stats for areas like Santa Rosa (to the north of SF), but it is definitely sunnier than anywhere in SF.

Of course, the biggest differences in sunshine are in the summer....the inland areas are much sunnier. In winter, the pattern is reversed..the coastal areas get slightly more sun, but it is not a big difference.

In Seattle (at Sea-Tac airport), the sun shines 45% of the time, on average.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:43 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,106 times
I've lived in Seattle, SF and LA, and I've been o SD many times. SF is culturally similar to Seattle but more diverser, more liberal and a bigger city. The weather is better but it's the one thing I don't like about SF. The temps top out in the 60's pretty much the whole year and the lows are between 45-55. The weather is cooler and foggier near the West side of the city in places like the Sunset and the Richmond districts and is warmer and sunnier Downtown, Portrero Hill, and the Mission district. The weather in San Diego is sunnier and about 5-10 degrees warmer year round. From what I know, San Diego is a very conservative city and doesn't have the same culture as SF and Seattle. I'd also recomend checking out parts of LA, especially Long Beach. It reminds me of Seattle (Especially the South End) because it's a port city. It's very diverse and the culture is similar to Seattle in many ways; most people in LB are liberal, alot of artsy type people and a large gay community. The weather in LB is great; upper 60's in the winter. lower to mid 80's in the summer and alot of sunshine. In my oppinion it meets all of the other things that you're looking for as well, although I don't have kids so I don't know all that much about the schools.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:04 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesoup View Post
Well, we moved from Portland to Seattle and decided that we cannot handle the Pacific Northwest weather anymore!

We are choosing to live in San Francisco area, or San Diego. Work is mobile so we are looking for a laid back walk to everything lifestyle while being close to the amenities of a large city. Weather is also a priority and we have young kids so good schools and community is important as well.

Any suggestions? I have visited San Diego and like it but hear much criticism about the "culture" there.

Again, we are looking for a laid back location kinda like a small town feel just a short drive (30 min's in no traffic from the city center)

Your replies are so much appreciated! Even advice as to where not to move to
If you are sad in Seattle, you won't be much happier in San Francisco. I've lived in both cities and found them to be very similar, Seattle just being smaller. With that being said, San Diego would be the better choice for you.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:34 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,890 times
It could be 60 and foggy in one area, and 5 miles in a different direction it can be 80 and sunny. Totally depends on area. If you move to SF, find a place in the east bay, perhaps over the oakland hills where it is sunny most days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland