Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 5,021 times

Advertisements

Hello,

A good friend of mine and I are looking into moving to the San Francisco area this summer. She got into grad school out there, and I'm just looking for a change of pace. I've been handling the apartment search while she gets everything ready with her school so I was hoping to get some good advice on areas of town to look into?

I'm a 24 year old guy, she's a 23 year old girl, both college grads, Baltimore born and raised looking for an apartment in the $1500 price range, probably on the Easy Bay but flexible enough to any other locations, just close enough that she can catch an easy BART ride into the Mission district of San Fran for classes.

Everything seems pretty split right down the middle when it comes to what i've read about the bad areas of town, either it's a scary terrible place to be, or it's not all that bad. Coming from Baltimore, I was just wondering how "scary" it can be? And what areas would be advisable to live in? I wouldn't mind a good city feel to it but I don't want to end up on a block between two drug corners at the same time!

Thanks a lot!

Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 01:31 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Is there a reason you want East Bay and not San Francisco itself? If not, I'd suggest you look for a place in the Mission itself; there are places there for your price range (assuming you're looking for a 1-BR or possibly a studio). She'd save commuting time and money, and you'd be conveniently located for whatever job you end up getting. Plus, it's an interesting, vibrant neighborhood, and you'll probably end up having lots of friends who live there, anyway.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:36 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Oh, I see you said "friends," and not "girlfriend," so maybe you're thinking 2-BR so that you each have your own space. That would up the price, of course, but check out the Mission craigslist ads to see if there's something that would work, just in case.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:23 PM
E14

147 posts, read 545,547 times
start hitting that to save money by only needing 1 bedroom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: