Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:14 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times

Advertisements

You're SOL. We don't do "new" the way they do in SoFLA out here. You'd better embrace older housing stock, in order to find a community with the vibe you seem to seek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 AM

105 posts, read 373,674 times
I disagree about the nightlife. Sure, its not NYC or LA, but there are plenty of very vibrant nightlife districts in San Francisco (the Mission, North Beach, SOMA, etc) that are among some of the best in the country.

As for vibrant Penninsula areas...Mountain View actually has a good downtown area that is very walkable and with many good restaurants. Its not huge but has a decent amount going on, and is pretty close to downtown Palo Alto and California Avenue in Palo Alto, which is also decent. San Mateo and Burlingame have pretty good downtowns but theyre a ways up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
PA itself is closest version on Peninsula...but scarce newer upscale rentals...and grub and nightlife are nothing great (though grub is far superior to anything in FL)

Many w/o kids choose to live in SF; a casual 30-45 min drive to PA or Menlo; newer upscale rentals in SF tend to be in Soma area, not pleasant/safe for walking (many prefer to drive around SF, a very car-centric town w/secured garages and valet pkg everywhere relevant) but close to good grub (and excellent cocktails) in Ferry Bldg area (and close to fwys for Silicon Valley commutes)

SF is not a nightlife town like Manhattan...many (esp in financial industry) arrive at office at <<6AM (as work NYC mkt hrs); tech industry has many workaholics; many are types who enjoy a good dinner, but not much into late nt drinking...and who use wkend daytime for outdoor activities like jogging, biking...or sports car driving up in the many Peninsula mtns

Old 05-06-2009, 04:06 AM

113 posts, read 343,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
The one thing I miss about SoCal is the beaches! But the beaches in NorCal are stunning and awe-inspiring in their own way.
There's nothing stunning about freezing cold winds, and fiercely violent waves pummeling jagged rocks that would mince human flesh into a bloody paste.

Beaches are meant for swimming, not to contemplate commiting suicide on.
East Bay beaches suck, and it's time everyone came to terms with the hard and ugly truth.

Move back to SoCal Stacy.
Quit wasting your life in hell.
You'll never get those years back!!!
It's time to live for today, and make the most of your life by enjoying it.
No reason to deal with the soul-crushing Bay Area any more.
Come home!!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catana View Post
We would prefer an area that's newer, more urban, more upscale vs. older and charming, small town feel. Still confused
Here's the honest truth:

There is no such thing in the Bay Area as a newer, urban, upscale area.
If there is, it will be an apartment that is out of your price range and will be located in a scummy area.

I know the kind of place you are looking for, a nice, new, clean, modern apartment complex with a gym and a pool, that is well landscaped and well lit. There are some of those, but the neighborhoods surrounding them are crap. And these so called luxury apartments will cost you over $2000 a month.

The culture of the bay area is that all the hippies think living in a creaky old Victorian house with a pull chain toilet is the greatest. They live for that stuff. Nothing is better than a badly insulated freezing cold, ancient antique apartment with a broken heater that warms 6 square feet in the corner of a room. Paper thin walls are must too, so you can hear your neighbors copulate their relationship.

Frank Llyod Wright...who's that?
1920's art deco???
Nobody in the Bay Area cares.
The fact that human kind actually advanced in the design and concept of a home beyond what was available in the late 19th century is a foreign concept to most Bay Area residents. They want their pull chain toilets and freezing cold, drafty wooden houses. It's sooooooo cultural, and unique to have a Victorian House to those arrogant wind bags. Never mind that the U.S. is less than 3 centuries old...no this S.F. Victorian crap is like Europe to the Hippies...they think it's existed for 2000 years like castles in the U.K.
They view these crappy apartments and homes like Gothic Cathedrals, what an amazing 200 year history. It's like friggin' Babylon, or the Mycean culture. SO rich...sooooo historical...wooooo hoooooo.

I think you'll really miss the weather and beaches in Miami. It's a rarity that S.F. gets above 60 degrees in the summer, especially with the wind and fog, due to that unqiuely crappy geography that makes the pennisula freezing while the rest of Cali is baking at a nice 90 degrees.

It sucks big time there, and I haven't even scratched the surface on crime. I just covered the weather and housing. There's a whole bunch of other stuff that blows about the Bay Area.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:20 PM

I'm surprised that no one has commented on this post yet.

C'MON Hippies DEFEND YOUR MOLDY WOODEN HOMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:24 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forker View Post
I'm surprised that no one has commented on this post yet.

C'MON Hippies DEFEND YOUR MOLDY WOODEN HOMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you're Lulu101, the troll that was on a crusade to take down San Francisco in the winter of 2008 and earlier this year. Aren't you? LOL. I bet if they traced your IP it would lead back to Lulu. Welcome back! And you're crazier than ever, the vacation did you a well of good.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM

Lulu101 sounds like my kinda girl, but I'm not her.

Just accept it, and start defending your hell.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:10 PM

54 posts, read 170,491 times
Forker is new2bay. End of discussion.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:35 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
Wow. As some of you know, I am quite the critic of Bay Area hypocrisy, but as usual, Forker makes me look like a freakin booster.

"Go West Young Man! Find the Fountain of Youth in SANNNNNNNN FRANNNNNNNN SICKO ... oops, I meant, SANNNNN FRANNNN CISSSSSCOOOOOOOO!" :lol:

Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Be sure to wear a flower in your dirty, greasy, unwashed, hippie hair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland