Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times

Advertisements

Vallejo West of I80 is a dump on the level of Oakland or the Iron Triangle in Richmond. I'd stay far, far away from that area if possible.

Fairfield is somewhat nicer, but walking through the Fairfield Mall is like walking through a strip mall in Compton. Not a good sign of economic vitality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 12:57 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,815 times
Yes if you are moving to Vallejo for the most part try to stay on the east side of the highway.
I was born and raised there starting in 1946.
Many changes, not all for the good, have taken place since I was young.
I left there in 1987 and moved up to Suisun near Fairfield which was better.
I left CA for good in 1993 and it's been the best move I have even made but then again I did not intend to stay there with rapidly rising costs in retirement.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:44 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
I looked into several Bay areas to relocate to prior to settling in temporarily in SoCal. Naturally, I looked into any areas where the prices seemed more reasonable. No way in hell I would raise my child in Vallejo. Yes, there are private "sanctuaries" of nice neighborhoods you could look into. Even there, you better put them in a private school or they will face some pretty tough times. I don't know, but I just needed to know a little more distance will separate my child from such areas. I made the mistake of staying at a Days Inn (maybe it was Comfort) in Vallejo when I checked the place out. I felt like I was in a neighborhood about as safe as a prison yard with no guards.

I always apply a really simple test of worthiness. I drive 5-10 minutes around where I'm looking at living, and if I see bars on house windows I forget about the place. It's actually a pretty good test.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:56 PM

128 posts, read 141,508 times
Vallejo sucks!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,223 times
Default Vallejo does suck

No police and bums run the town, you do the math.

if you want to go for a walk with your family bring a way to protect yourself the cops dont care

Old 06-06-2012, 05:20 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tninetails View Post

if you want to go for a walk with your family bring a way to protect yourself the cops dont care
Then don't go for a walk with your family.

Town went bankrupt, much like Stockton is about to do. What do you expect?

Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 PM

170 posts, read 252,205 times
I am not an East Bay Expert by any means but I am familiar with the whole county from driving it for my job. If you will be working in Vallejo and choose not to live there Martinez is safe and not a far drive with houses under 500k. I am not that familiar with Farifield but i know they too have houses under 500k and you wouldnt have to cross the bridge. We love Vacaville to visit, the market is very affordable, and it would be less than 30 min to work. I know a nurse at Kaiser in Vallejo who bought in Vacaville and is very pleased. I'd rent before you buy in Vallejo, if you must try it out.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:14 PM

16 posts, read 15,846 times
So glad i read this about Vallejo...no wonder homes are so cheap!

Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 AM

10 posts, read 22,678 times
My wife and I almost bought a home in Vallejo because of the cheap prices and potential we saw in it. We were actually closing on the home but a spree of murders not too far away scared us off. But if you must, I'd consider Glen Cove, which borders Benicia, and the area between Tennesee and Redwood along Mariposa Ave. Otherwise I just wouldnt recommend anywhere else. And if you can afford 500K, well, homes in Vallejo pretty much max out at 350K, so you might as well go up the road to Benicia, Crockett, or Martinez.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:25 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tninetails View Post

The police who weren't laid off were screwed out of the salary and pensions they had. Wonder why they don't care. Same bums you elected got them. One post and that was it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland