Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:19 PM

113 posts, read 343,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysunshine View Post
Forker, I think it is truly sad that you spend the midnight-2am hours writing on a silly message board. What does this say about you (that your angry, irrational posts already don't)?
Just unwinding after a long day at work, and I enjoy writing. Nothing irrational about that.

If I prevent one single person here from ruining their lives by moving to the Bay Area, then I'll feel like I've done some good in this world. Also the less people that move there, the worse the local economy will get.

The areas I described are my opinions and impressions, but they are accurate as far as I am concerned. I would never raise a child in those areas. Please take it for what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 12:27 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
People from other places please don't move to the bay. It would be nice to have less people here so that we can enjoy it for ourselves. Please don't move here so that we have less competition for employment and so that cost of living can be lowered. It would be great if people stopped moving here. If you have kids please stop moving to Lafayette, Walnut Creek, Berkeley, Alameda and other areas that have high performing schools so that our kids can keep enjoying their lifestyle. I believe that is what the other poster wanted to really communicate.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:37 PM

54 posts, read 170,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forker View Post
Just unwinding after a long day at work, and I enjoy writing. Nothing irrational about that.

If I prevent one single person here from ruining their lives by moving to the Bay Area, then I'll feel like I've done some good in this world. Also the less people that move there, the worse the local economy will get.

The areas I described are my opinions and impressions, but they are accurate as far as I am concerned. I would never raise a child in those areas. Please take it for what it's worth.

It takes you from midnight to 4am to wind down? Fascinating.

I find it comical that you are the least bit concerned with where to raise a child. I weep for your children.... what a poor excuse for a parent.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysunshine View Post
It takes you from midnight to 4am to wind down? Fascinating.

I find it comical that you are the least bit concerned with where to raise a child. I weep for your children.... what a poor excuse for a parent.

Where did this insult come from? Just because I called out the negative aspects on a community, some how I am a poor excuse for a parent??
Try making sense sometime.

So anytime some one says the Bay Area sucks (which it does) they are suddenly unfit to raise children??????????????????
Get over yourself you narcissistic little woman.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
People from other places please don't move to the bay. It would be nice to have less people here so that we can enjoy it for ourselves. Please don't move here so that we have less competition for employment and so that cost of living can be lowered. It would be great if people stopped moving here. If you have kids please stop moving to Lafayette, Walnut Creek, Berkeley, Alameda and other areas that have high performing schools so that our kids can keep enjoying their lifestyle. I believe that is what the other poster wanted to really communicate.
I was not trying to say this.

I was trying to say BOYCOTT the bay area so that it will fail economically and then degenerate in to an even worse place than it already is.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 PM

54 posts, read 170,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forker View Post
Where did this insult come from? Just because I called out the negative aspects on a community, some how I am a poor excuse for a parent??
Try making sense sometime.

So anytime some one says the Bay Area sucks (which it does) they are suddenly unfit to raise children??????????????????
Get over yourself you narcissistic little woman.
You showed me!!!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:40 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Forker is simply whacked.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Forker is simply whacked.
That's what the Bay Area will do to ya!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:53 PM

6 posts, read 13,291 times
I am moving to OC from Oakland! I've been looking for rentals in the belmont shore/heights area!
I think the Montclair area is a solid consideration given your criteria.
Check out craig's list and type in 'montclair'. There's a nice farmer's market every Sunday. It's also close to the farmers market /trader joes in grand lake/meritt oakland.
If I knew how to contact you off this public site, we could exchange more information and you could consider renting my house.....
(I'm looking for 2500, but would consider options)

Old 05-08-2009, 02:37 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
We moved from South Pasadena (San Gabriel Valley) to San Francisco; I know you mention the East Bay as a possiblity, but if your husband is working in SF you might want to consider SF itself. We moved to the Central Richmond, which is a great area for families - within walking distance of Golden Gate Park, the Presidio, Ocean Beach, tons of restaurants and stores along Clement and Geary, lots of nice playgrounds, etc. You could find a duplex in the Richmond for that price. Check craigslist - I think almost everything around here seems to go through there.

The school lottery system for SF public schools is a hassle, although we haven't yet had to deal with that. Some schools are considered very good, others not so good, but there seems to be a definite movement towards city parents staying in the city and not moving out just for school reasons. I think our part of the Richmond is just about perfect for families, actually. During the daytime it's stroller central out there on the streets. It also has a pretty strong sense of community, I think, and it's been pretty easy to meet other parents.

If you end up in SF proper, there's a group called the Golden Gate Mothers Group (it's huge = I think something like 3,000 members); they have a website and a members-only yahoo list, and is a good resource for meeting other parents, getting recommendations or feedback on anything local relating to kids/parents, buying/selling used gear, and setting up playgroups. They also sponsor a lot of special events, like tours of local fire stations.

The Richmond is not a centrally located as many parts of the city (although it's very conveniently located to the places we like to go - GGP, etc.), and can get foggier and chillier, but it's an easy commute if your husband is working downtown - there are near constant express buses up and down Geary, as well as many other bus lines to downtown and elsewhere.

Noe Valley is another neighborhood in SF often mentioned as very good for families (and does have that community-within-a-city feel), but from our experience it seemed that prices were higher there than they are in the Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland