Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:55 AM

113 posts, read 343,535 times

Advertisements

Just be fair here:

San Mateo is probably the closest thing to Irvine you will get up there. But it's pretty far from Oakland, and again, it's only kind of close to being like Irvine. Irvine is way better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
this mid century modern home with pool and view in the montclair area of oakland is only $900,000
Almost 1 Million Dollars for that piece of doo doo???!!!
It's a crime, an absolute crime, that something that terrible is going for that price. Truly disgusting. That home is worth no more than $600,000 at most and that's being beyond generous.

Montclair sucks. Mountain man country. Who likes to feel like they are living in a log cabin in North Dakota, if you like it, move to Montclair. It redefines the meaning of a BACKWOODS TOWN. I'd be suprised if Saquatch doesn't come rummaging through your garabge at night...oh no wait, that's a stray vagrant from Berkeley who's just wandered up into God's Country; Montclair.

*vomit*

Oh and by the way, Mountain Man Montclair, is nothing like Irvine. So why recommend it??

Message to all SoCal residents taking advice from these Bay Area people about the area. Please keep in mind that these people have settled for a bad lifestyle, and that they CAN'T do any better. If they could, they would not be living in Oakland, or El Cerrito. They would be living in Marin, or Novato, or San Mateo. Notice how everyone that is advising you lives in a bad area?? They are trying to sell you garbage as gold. Any one who could do better would not be living in these places.

Thanks,

Forker

Last edited by Forker; 05-06-2009 at 05:32 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 PM

54 posts, read 170,498 times
I stand corrected! You spend all night long posting on silly message boards. WOW. Forker, get a hobby. Take a walk at night-- I assume you live in a place now that has street lighting, right? After all, that was a HUGE gripe of yours about the Bay Area. Street lighting. Hmmm.....

Old 05-06-2009, 01:19 PM

Keep living in your dream world you misguided broad.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:09 PM

110 posts, read 320,480 times
Mann, not sure if I should take Forker seriously or not. Lots of these board have disgruntled folks. It's a good job opportunity with the Feds, so I think long run career prospects are good. The pay is actually a bit less because it's with the Feds, but something I can sustain for a couple of years once raises kick in.

I can't imagine East Bay being worse than Los Angeles. Quite surprising to me.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:13 PM

54 posts, read 170,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forker View Post
Keep living in your dream world you misguided broad.

HUGS to you Forker. You're quite a looker yourself

Old 05-06-2009, 05:13 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejinro View Post
Mann, not sure if I should take Forker seriously or not. Lots of these board have disgruntled folks. It's a good job opportunity with the Feds, so I think long run career prospects are good. The pay is actually a bit less because it's with the Feds, but something I can sustain for a couple of years once raises kick in.

No you can't. Now back to the question

Old 05-06-2009, 05:17 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
I was just up in the Oakland area for a job interview. I currently live in Los Angeles and have been since I was born.

I am married with two small kids (one in elementary) and the other in pre-K.

My knowledge of this area is limited. Any areas that are commutable to Oakland downtown and safe to live in (good schools, etc)?

We own a home right now, so we would probably not sell right away and rent at first. I would say our rent budget would be about $1800-$2000.
Umm... you know LA is not Irvine. ;-) VERRRRRY different!

Anyway, if you want suburbia, you've been given good choices.
If you want Oakland, you've also been given good choices. I would include parts of East Oakland and San Leandro.

Ssmater likes to post the high end places in Oakland to combat the impression that Oakland is a dump, but there are plenty of reasonable neighborhoods that won't cost you a million also. ;-)

BTW... Montclair is great to me!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't waste my time writing about this, if I didn't think it was important. The East Bay is way worse than Los Angeles. Irvine is paradise compared to most of it.

I know people who are considering leaving GREAT jobs in the Bay Area in the near future to raise their children in Southern California. It's that bad up there. And these are people that actually like it there, but when it comes to their kids, they know what will benefit them the most; being in Southern California. Believe me when I tell you this. I have no reason to lie.

Also I am coming from the perspective of a fellow Southern California native. You are probably taking a lot of things for granted right now that you will really miss if you move there.

I have said some harsh things here for sure, but most of those have been in response to sarcastic, and attacking comments made by the bay area contingency here.

The East Bay is probably one of the worst places overall that you can live in California. That is the truth.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:14 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forker View Post
The East Bay is probably one of the worst places overall that you can live in California. That is the truth.
The funniest thing I have heard in a long time. OP, Forker is a hater. Read the other posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland