Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 02:14 PM

132 posts, read 484,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
...."We're crazy about this city. First time we came here, we walked the streets all day, all over town and nobody hassled us. People smiled, friendly-like, and we knew we could live here. We'd like to keep our place in Greenwich Village and have an apartment here, God and the Immigration Service willing. Los Angeles? That's just a big parking lot where you buy a hamburger for the trip to San Francisco." - John Lennon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 04:40 PM

161 posts, read 695,239 times
Great quote! Did they ever make it to San Fran and get an apartment? Thats prob where they got all the crazy LsD. In other news I think S.F. is worth it if you are smart and have some savvyness to yourself.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:10 PM

18 posts, read 81,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2007 View Post
Is San Francisco really worth the cost of living?

I write those words not to in any way diminish the city of San Francisco. San Francisco is widely acknowledged a world class city. I remember traveling to S.F. on business in 2005 and having dinner at a Brazilian churrascaria called EspetuS on Market Street. During that visit, I recall saying that this is a pretty nice city. Overall, I liked the area. I was not impressed with the weather – a bit cooler of a climate than I expected (but I know it’s not Southern California, so I factored that in).

However, when I read that really nice homes will cost you 700K+ and that the cost of living in S.F. is 2nd to perhaps only Honolulu (even higher than New York City), I can’t help but ask the question – Is San Francisco so great – are the advantages so enormous, the city so spectacular, the lifestyle so fabulous -- that spending 55-65% of your income housing and the other inflated expenses are actually worth it (for someone like me who would not have a roommate to split expenses)? Is it worth it to stretch your money so thin when you could live in other great U.S. cities like Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, Chicago, Austin TX, or Denver at a fraction of the cost? Sure, S.F has an iconic status and very unique attractions (Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman’s Wharf, Haight Asbury, Chinatown, The Presidio, mountains and hillsides galore – and there are many more to be sure).

But – given my acknowledgement upfront that San Francisco is a very nice city – can anyone help me rationalize why someone making $150K (in the top 1% of all Americans) would choose to stretch their income to its furthest limit in S.F. and live like someone only making $60K in another city when you could live in any of the other cities I mentioned above in relative luxury at that salary level? Help me understand and appreciate why S.F. is worth the money -- similar to how a resident who loves the city would. I want to see why, but right now I can’t.

I have a friend who grew up in San Diego who moved to Dearborn Michigan to work as a Manager with Ford Motor Company. He always talks about trying to move back to San Diego, even if it meant his money wouldn’t go as far. When I pressed him further on the topic, he said that regardless of the money, you can’t place a value on quality of life. But San Diego is a very laid back, sunny, almost tropical type of city -- almost like being on vacation everyday. I can see wanting to get back to San Diego and that lifestyle. San Francisco is very different and has a very different feel. Would my friend’s “quality of life” logic apply to those who favor living in S.F.?

Thanks in advance to all who respond. I would especially like to hear from anyone who has moved from S.F. to one of the cities I mentioned with a more reasonable cost of living and either loved the move or regretted moving out of S.F.
Uh oh...you have raised all hell with that question LOL (I'm kidding) But it just honestly depends on you choose to live and the lifestyle you want. My opinion, is no, it is not worth it, after reading all the points you have made. For others, as you've read, it is worth it and they also make some valid points. That is a question can only be answered by you. Maybe spend a couple weekends out there to tour the city and the surrounding area that you are thinking about moving to.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:32 PM

161 posts, read 695,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
Hey Sliverbox.. if all you need to be happy is to buy a house. Then move up here to Buffalo, NY! Without even spending TOO much time, I guarantee you can find a HUGE house in certain parts of the city for $10k-$20k. I've even seen as low as $5000... for that matter one time I was offered (only semi-jokingly - they wouldve taken it) a house for $900.

You could buy 10 houses! Think about it - Thats 10X the happiness!!!

Its something to Consider.

.... also : Utica, NY

HAHAHAHAHHAHA I hear Barfalow is great this time of year....

Old 03-30-2008, 01:50 PM

7 posts, read 17,421 times
You can't compare Dallas to San Francisco/Bay Area. Leave the poor Dude alone in his misery!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 24,359 times
Is it worth the cost? No. There are way too many people crammed into the area and they all bid up the prices on rents and houses to see who is willing to sacrifice the most to live there. The result is tiny $800K homes that wouldn't fetch $150K in the Midwest. It was a fun place to live, don't get me wrong, but there were too many tradeoffs to make.

When you're young and single, you may not mind throwing away money on rent. I realized I would never be able to afford a house in CA so I moved during the bust in 1991. I've been a homeowner since 1995 and it's been great. I'll put up with a lot of things in order to have my own peaceful quiet single family home away from close neighbors. Heck, I'm living in Nebraska now. That shows you how much I'll put up with to get that.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,745,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCalifornian View Post
Is it worth the cost? No. There are way too many people crammed into the area and they all bid up the prices on rents and houses to see who is willing to sacrifice the most to live there. The result is tiny $800K homes that wouldn't fetch $150K in the Midwest. It was a fun place to live, don't get me wrong, but there were too many tradeoffs to make.

When you're young and single, you may not mind throwing away money on rent. I realized I would never be able to afford a house in CA so I moved during the bust in 1991. I've been a homeowner since 1995 and it's been great. I'll put up with a lot of things in order to have my own peaceful quiet single family home away from close neighbors. Heck, I'm living in Nebraska now. That shows you how much I'll put up with to get that.
LOL... yeah, that would be TOO much of a trade-off for me (living in Nebraska)! I agree with your comments on the housing situation, and it's something that has always concerned me. I don't know if you grew up here, but I did, and my immediate family is still in the Bay Area - so that's the main reason I came back after college & have stayed since then. Everyone has different priorities and situations, so I guess my need to be near loved ones outweighed the cost of living... not to mention, it's a fabulous city!! But who knows what will happen in the future, and I'd never give someone a hard time for making the decision to move. I might end up relocating one day too, though it's unlikely I'll go to Nebraska. I'm thinking Oregon or WA is more my style - I went to college in Eugene, and still miss it sometimes.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:34 AM

6 posts, read 13,776 times
Quote:

However, when I read that really nice homes will cost you 700K+ and that the cost of living in S.F. is 2nd to perhaps only Honolulu (even higher than New York City), I can’t help but ask the question – Is San Francisco so great – are the advantages so enormous, the city so spectacular, the lifestyle so fabulous -- that spending 55-65% of your income housing and the other inflated expenses are actually worth it
While this may oversimplify things dramatically, Mr 2007, I think the easiest answer to all of this is that so long as there are people willing to shell out that kind of money for a house in SF, the answer is yes, for some people it is.

If and when people refuse to pay that kind of money anymore, then simple economics dictate that, no, it will not be worth it. In the end, the prices being paid for real estate doesn't mean a place is good or bad necessarily. Good, bad, beautiful, or ugly--it's all in the eye of the beholder. Price only tells us how much something is wanted. And I think we can all find someone walking around out there who wouldn't live in the Bay Area (or New York, or Seattle, or Dry Crotch South Dakota) for any amount of money!

Old 04-04-2008, 03:14 PM

18,963 posts, read 32,437,457 times
Quote:

I write those words not to in any way diminish the city of San Francisco. San Francisco is widely acknowledged a world class city. I remember traveling to S.F. on business in 2005 and having dinner at a Brazilian churrascaria called EspetuS on Market Street. During that visit, I recall saying that this is a pretty nice city. Overall, I liked the area. I was not impressed with the weather – a bit cooler of a climate than I expected (but I know it’s not Southern California, so I factored that in).

However, when I read that really nice homes will cost you 700K+ and that the cost of living in S.F. is 2nd to perhaps only Honolulu (even higher than New York City), I can’t help but ask the question – Is San Francisco so great – are the advantages so enormous, the city so spectacular, the lifestyle so fabulous -- that spending 55-65% of your income housing and the other inflated expenses are actually worth it (for someone like me who would not have a roommate to split expenses)? Is it worth it to stretch your money so thin when you could live in other great U.S. cities like Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, Chicago, Austin TX, or Denver at a fraction of the cost? Sure, S.F has an iconic status and very unique attractions (Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman’s Wharf, Haight Asbury, Chinatown, The Presidio, mountains and hillsides galore – and there are many more to be sure).

But – given my acknowledgement upfront that San Francisco is a very nice city – can anyone help me rationalize why someone making $150K (in the top 1% of all Americans) would choose to stretch their income to its furthest limit in S.F. and live like someone only making $60K in another city when you could live in any of the other cities I mentioned above in relative luxury at that salary level? Help me understand and appreciate why S.F. is worth the money -- similar to how a resident who loves the city would. I want to see why, but right now I can’t.

I have a friend who grew up in San Diego who moved to Dearborn Michigan to work as a Manager with Ford Motor Company. He always talks about trying to move back to San Diego, even if it meant his money wouldn’t go as far. When I pressed him further on the topic, he said that regardless of the money, you can’t place a value on quality of life. But San Diego is a very laid back, sunny, almost tropical type of city -- almost like being on vacation everyday. I can see wanting to get back to San Diego and that lifestyle. San Francisco is very different and has a very different feel. Would my friend’s “quality of life” logic apply to those who favor living in S.F.?

Thanks in advance to all who respond. I would especially like to hear from anyone who has moved from S.F. to one of the cities I mentioned with a more reasonable cost of living and either loved the move or regretted moving out of S.F.
I think your friends quality of life totally applies here. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and it's where all my family is. I moved to SD for college in 2001 and have stayed here after graduating b/c I love this place so much. It's cheaper than the Bay Area but jobs pay less and aren't as good so it probably ends up costing the same to live here for some. To me SF's qualities are not worth it, I like love it's architecture, buildings, natural views, ect... but could care less about fancy restaurants, the opera, museums, or high end shopping. Nice buildings and views are more about form than function and get old after awhile. To me a laid back beach lifestyle is what I love and SD is better for that than SF. But if you love the qualities that make SF an appealing city then I think it's worth it to someone like you. You just gotta ask yourself whether or not all of it's amenities are worth crappy weather, insane housing prices, and all the other negatives that come with the city. I love SF but for right now I'm content living in the sun by the beach.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 11,046 times
Default Not really...

Definitely not worth it. I moved here for a great job from the East Coast in October 2007. Had visited the area a few years prior to moving here.

I guess I can understand making a sacrifice to stay here if you have an extended family in the area but for those of us with no strings, it's simply not worth living here long term. It's definitely a lovely city, walkable streets, tons of restaurants (not as great as in NYC, in my opinion, but ok), great short-drives, etc. I find it to be a great place for a couple of years, do the "been there, done that", and leave. As lovely as it is, overall, I don't get any extra "positive feeling" here than I did in my previous cities (NYC, Chicago, Paris, and DC). It's not necessarily safer than NYC or NW DC, schools are poor statewide, unsafe (like DC and Chicago), full of stench all over the city, not very economically diverse (how can any working class person afford to live in the city?), many homeless (same as in DC), and many in the city, despite belonging to a "liberal" and "open" society, seem quite closed off to those with differing opinions.

As for the lack of snow, yes, it's true it beats Chicago winters. But its rainy season is not necessarily pleasant and its cold summers leave something to be desired. Luckily California is big, an a nice drive south or east will give me higher summer temperatures...

In my view, as lovely as the city is, its positives, don't necessarily justify its cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland