Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,790,067 times

Advertisements

Mr2007,
Once again, some excellent points. I think that your argument rings true to quite a few people. The fact that moving companies are having a hard time keeping moving trucks in stock throughout CA because so many people are moving out versus in and that Raleigh,NC which is not even a fraction as large as SF also has a city data forum which is crowded with people from all over- including SF- wanting data about moving there while this city data forum is almost dead. Why? everybody knows how expensive it is here and hence that's why you rarely see anyone except idealistic, young, romantic people with questions about moving to SF. It is very obvious to anyone looking at the current situation here that this area has fallen out of favor with a lot of people- mainly those who like yourself, acknowledge that the cost of living and the quality of life go hand in hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 03:49 PM

253 posts, read 1,275,121 times
Hey Sliverbox.. if all you need to be happy is to buy a house. Then move up here to Buffalo, NY! Without even spending TOO much time, I guarantee you can find a HUGE house in certain parts of the city for $10k-$20k. I've even seen as low as $5000... for that matter one time I was offered (only semi-jokingly - they wouldve taken it) a house for $900.

You could buy 10 houses! Think about it - Thats 10X the happiness!!!

Its something to Consider.

.... also : Utica, NY

Old 04-05-2007, 06:32 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Mr2007,
Once again, some excellent points. I think that your argument rings true to quite a few people. The fact that moving companies are having a hard time keeping moving trucks in stock throughout CA because so many people are moving out versus in and that Raleigh,NC which is not even a fraction as large as SF also has a city data forum which is crowded with people from all over- including SF- wanting data about moving there while this city data forum is almost dead. Why? everybody knows how expensive it is here and hence that's why you rarely see anyone except idealistic, young, romantic people with questions about moving to SF. It is very obvious to anyone looking at the current situation here that this area has fallen out of favor with a lot of people- mainly those who like yourself, acknowledge that the cost of living and the quality of life go hand in hand.
If so many people are leaving, why can't I find any parking spots?? I'm sorry, but just because you think home ownership is "hand in hand" with quality of life, that doesn't make it so... I've tried having a reasonable discussion with you, but your attitude is really beginning to irk me. Could you be more condescending???

Old 04-05-2007, 06:34 PM

P.S. If you're so unhappy, why haven't you moved yet? If everyone who whined about our COL would just move already, maybe the prices would finally drop!!

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-05-2007 at 06:52 PM..

Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 AM

45 posts, read 86,475 times
Actually, I have to make a quick plug for Austin. Lance is not the exception to the rule there. Austin is a very healthy city. Try town lake on a Saturday, no matter what the weather people will be out running and biking.

By the way, I'm considering moving to the bay area on less the 50K. I'll be working at the airport and I'm looking for a place on the peninsula or in the City, any tips? We have a dog. Of course, my wife will find a job after we get there.

My other option is Dallas. I grew up in DFW, the place lacks cultural diversity and natural scenery. You can get a hell of a house for 200K.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:58 PM

46 posts, read 438,662 times
LOL...akamouse hilarious!

Old 04-07-2007, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedjp View Post
By the way, I'm considering moving to the bay area on less the 50K. I'll be working at the airport and I'm looking for a place on the peninsula or in the City, any tips? We have a dog. Of course, my wife will find a job after we get there.
If you're working at the airport (SFO, I'm assuming), you should look in South San Francisco (separate city from SF), Daly City, San Bruno, Colma, and Brisbane... some really nice "affordable" apartments around there, and if you get a roommate, it should be do-able. There are some icky parts of those towns, which you'll know right away - in other words, don't rent anything sight un-seen! I actually found this cute little apartment in Brisbane for just over $1100... and that's an adorable & fairly safe little town. Unfortunately it was a bit too small, and didn't have any outdoor space for my dog.

Oh, and if you want to save even more $$, live in the East Bay (Oakland, Hayward, Alameda, etc.) and commute across.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:02 AM

153 posts, read 1,247,545 times
Default It's What You're Willing, and Can Afford, to Pay....

The real question shoud be: "Is there anyplace in Cali worth the high housing prices?"...and IMHO, "No"...because I prefer not to be mortgage or rent poor. But, it's all relative. Everyone needs to make their own decision as to how much they want and can afford to pay to buy/rent.

Some people love living near the coast and prefer to have one season year round. Others prefer living inland and having four seasons.

Some people make mega bucks and want to spend most of it on housing. Others who make mega bucks prefer to spend reasonable amounts for housing and be able to build their nest egg for "rainy days" and/or retirement.

It's all up to the individual. No one can tell anyone else where they should or shouldn't live. We can all give advice, but in the final analysis it is up the the person having to pay the bills.

Is SF the best place to live? Again, that is personal preference.

I left CA because "for me", I prefer to not spend the majority of my salary on housing, and "for me", I prefer a calmer and less crowded environment.

There is no place that is perfect; however, the key is in finding the "perfect" place for each of us.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:36 AM

45 posts, read 86,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If you're working at the airport (SFO, I'm assuming), you should look in South San Francisco (separate city from SF), Daly City, San Bruno, Colma, and Brisbane... some really nice "affordable" apartments around there, and if you get a roommate, it should be do-able. There are some icky parts of those towns, which you'll know right away - in other words, don't rent anything sight un-seen! I actually found this cute little apartment in Brisbane for just over $1100... and that's an adorable & fairly safe little town. Unfortunately it was a bit too small, and didn't have any outdoor space for my dog.

Oh, and if you want to save even more $$, live in the East Bay (Oakland, Hayward, Alameda, etc.) and commute across.
Thanks for the tip. I have a dog too. Having a dog is big limitation for renting there. Hopefully my wife will be able to work once we get there, so that should help the income situation, but I would like to keep the budget within my salary and save her earnings.

I'm thinking about the East Bay as well, I calculate I would spend a little more than 200 a month on the BART if I lived over there.

Where do you live with your dog?

Old 04-07-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedjp View Post
Thanks for the tip. I have a dog too. Having a dog is big limitation for renting there.
Tell me about it! I would check on craigslist (where you should go) for rentals, and literally 1-2 out of every 100 postings allowed dogs - and many with weight & breed restrictions. My dog's a 35 lb. mutt, so he's right on the edge of most weight limits... plus I had to convince them he's just a MUTT, and doesn't have any pitbull or other "dangerous" (lol) breed in him.

Quote:
I'm thinking about the East Bay as well, I calculate I would spend a little more than 200 a month on the BART if I lived over there.
I think BART is about $4 round-trip, so that would equal under $100/month... though I could be wrong, since I don't take it very often. But you should check with SFO about commuter's reimbursement, since my employer (Public Library) offers a full refund on those costs.

Quote:
Where do you live with your dog?
I ended up renting a 3-bedroom house in the Southeast part of San Francisco, which I share with one roommate. It wasn't easy, but you tend to have better luck with houses vs. apartments, in terms of the dog issue. Check on craigslist, where you can narrow it down to "dogs allowed", and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland