Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
The only thing thats good about SF is the nice geographical features of the surrounding area and scenery. Everything else about the city is inferior compared to most other US cities of similar population. The worst part of SF is weather! Very boring, cold, foggy weather with little variation. It is impossible to enjoy anything outdoors in the city because of the weather. The second worst thing is ugly, primitive housing and city infrastructure. I would say 75% of the city needs to be rebuilt in a modern way to make this place look civilized.
Clearly you are not a fan of architecture. Not enough pre-fab newness for you?
Mother Texas must sure look like heaven to you then, eh? You should go back to Dallas/Houston, where ever it is in Texas you came from, for a visit.
You sure do sound homesick.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Also forgot to mention that another sad aspect for a relatively large city is the lack of ethnic diversity. Culturally and in terms services like restaurants and stores the city basically caters to two of the dominant racial groups. If you don't belong to those groups you will be lonely and culturally isolated here. SF might have a few taquerias in the mission but is is largely a caricature of mexican food that caters to the hipster youths! This applies to most other ethnic restaurants as well. I have to usually go all the way to San Jose to enjoy some true ethnic diversity. Just google the pictures of major cultural events in SF and you will have to look very hard to see any non-white participation. It is is really sad how mono-cultural the city is and its almost comical that people who live here think the city is diverse!

Let me clear that I dont think lack of diversity is necessarily a bad thing. But it is super irritating when the culturally clueless yuppies make the bold claims about diversity in the city. If you are a ethnic minority the city has as much cultural options as small town Idaho-

Old 04-03-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Clearly you are not a fan of architecture. .
I am a huge fan of modern architecture and functional space. The junky victorians of SF look good only in pictures. They are technologically only one step ahead of a mud hut.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
One of the points was the cold weather?! Are you kidding me? As a person who moved from the Bay Area to Boston, I have felt the difference between San Francisco cold and Boston cold! It's not even close.
Boston has seasonal variation and has pretty hot summers. You can actually go to beaches near Boston and get in the water. Its also not foggy/cloudy all the time. SF has no variation and has this annoying cool to cold weather all year long and its rarely sunny.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:39 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
The only thing thats good about SF is the nice geographical features of the surrounding area and scenery. Everything else about the city is inferior compared to most other US cities of similar population. The worst part of SF is weather! Very boring, cold, foggy weather with little variation. It is impossible to enjoy anything outdoors in the city because of the weather. The second worst thing is ugly, primitive housing and city infrastructure. I would say 75% of the city needs to be rebuilt in a modern way to make this place look civilized.
Interestingand somewhat different view. Most find SF architecture charming and unique but to eahc his own I guess.

A Lot of people enjoy SF's predictable weather as it's never too hot nor too cold. How are you defining cold? Seriously?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Also forgot to mention that another sad aspect for a relatively large city is the lack of ethnic diversity. Culturally and in terms services like restaurants and stores the city basically caters to two of the dominant racial groups. If you don't belong to those groups you will be lonely and culturally isolated here. SF might have a few taquerias in the mission but is is largely a caricature of mexican food that caters to the hipster youths! This applies to most other ethnic restaurants as well. I have to usually go all the way to San Jose to enjoy some true ethnic diversity. Just google the pictures of major cultural events in SF and you will have to look very hard to see any non-white participation. It is is really sad how mono-cultural the city is and its almost comical that people who live here think the city is diverse!

Let me clear that I dont think lack of diversity is necessarily a bad thing. But it is super irritating when the culturally clueless yuppies make the bold claims about diversity in the city. If you are a ethnic minority the city has as much cultural options as small town Idaho-
Trolling much?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
I am a huge fan of modern architecture and functional space. The junky victorians of SF look good only in pictures. They are technologically only one step ahead of a mud hut.
Clearly you say that because you know that the only way for you to be proven wrong on this forum is by posting pictures. Nice try but something has to be pleasing to the eye in order for a photographer to want to capture it.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Boston has seasonal variation and has pretty hot summers. You can actually go to beaches near Boston and get in the water. Its also not foggy/cloudy all the time. SF has no variation and has this annoying cool to cold weather all year long and its rarely sunny.
SF recieves sunshine 66% of the year which is more than many other US cities. Perhaps the Sunset district is cloudier.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:49 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:

Excellent points and I absolutely agree. Been in the area for nearly 21 years and I have found this to be true of SF.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:50 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,377 times
Quote:

Embrace the presence of whiteys while it lasts, they will be a minority in the US some day in the not too distant future esp. California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland