Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 05:54 PM

13 posts, read 22,612 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the process of accepting a job in the San Mateo and we are looking for a good rental in the area. From what I have been able to find, people say that the westside of San Mateo is best. My question is:

Is the entire westside okay or does it vary street to street?

Are there good and bad neighborhoods?

Which resources are best for finding rentals there?

We are coming from out of state and do not know the area at all, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Everything west of Alameda De Las Pulgas is superb.

Everything West of El Camino is OK, although there are areas where there are high densities of post WW2 apartments (especially south of 92) where there are parking issues and obviously the atmosphere is not as high end - not ghetto or anything, but just not as aesthetically pleasing. East of El Camino, and West of 101, a mixed bag - in general:
- From the Belmont border to Hillsdale, a solidly middle class well kept family vibe
- From Hillsdale to 92 - a bit more mixed but up and coming (exception - the newer densepack development between Hillsdale, Saratoga, 101 and an imaginary line about 1/2 mile north of Hillsdale is more like Silicon Valley - think Sunnyvale. Certainly neat, clean and affluent.
- From 92 to downtown - a formerly mixed, gentrified area that is decent.
- From downtown to the Burlingame border - good West of the Cal Train tracks.

Anything I did not include would require street by street evaluation (not only the street you are considering but the nearby ones as well) - there are some sketchy areas East of the places I listed. Specifically avoid everything East of 101 that is north of the major waterway that runs from Redwood Shores and curves around the the Bay near the water treatment plant. There is a small enclave physically attached to Foster City, of which Mariner's Island is the main component, that is good, but that is the only area East of 101 I would recommend.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:02 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Oh, also the area north of 92 and West of El Camino yet east of Alameda is very expensive, at its north end it's essentially overflow from Hillsborough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland