Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:56 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
That and the fact that the OP stopped posting a long time ago. But it was interesting to see the fear people have being projected in this thread. No one has any faith in themselves anymore. This country was built by people doing exactly what the fictitious OP was talking about. People arriving in a new country with no money, only to build their own businesses and become dominant forces in their industry and country. High risk=high reward.
True dat! The only difference is we're collectively lazy & complacent now. Most people don't appreciate what we got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 02:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
That and the fact that the OP stopped posting a long time ago. But it was interesting to see the fear people have being projected in this thread. No one has any faith in themselves anymore. This country was built by people doing exactly what the fictitious OP was talking about. People arriving in a new country with no money, only to build their own businesses and become dominant forces in their industry and country. High risk=high reward.
The point you seem to be missing is that there are places in other states that are better to wing it like this at the present time.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 11,252 times
"The point you seem to be missing is that there are places in other states that are better to wing it like this at the present time."

I totally agree with that. Hoever, the whole notion of high risk=high reward is what got us into this mess to begin with. The notion that you can get a mortgage you KNOW you can't afford, buy a house for $x and flip it for double that in a year is the sort of "high risk" financial crap that landed us here. A little reason is in order.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:12 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
The OP did ask for advice (although good chance it was a fake post), and the reality is - like BayAreaHillbilly pointed out - this is a bad time and place to do it. It's not a matter of faith in oneself, it's an issue of knowing the odds and that the reality of it working out at this place and at this time is pretty slim.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:19 PM

377 posts, read 588,776 times
There's really no way you can say that with authority though. Like Han Solo said "never tell me the odds". I understand most people are "practical" and if the OP followed through maybe he WOULD become some homeless tenderloin guy, especially since he said he almost WANTED to live like a dog, as if there was some honor in that.

But I also believe that if you have a strong purpose (and are serious, not making jokes), and have a goal you believe in, doors will open for you.

People in even worse circumstances have done the same thing and succeeded despite all the people saying "you're crazy if you try that", and if they hadn't, the quality of life many of us appreciate today would not exist.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
There's really no way you can say that with authority though. Like Han Solo said "never tell me the odds". I understand most people are "practical" and if the OP followed through maybe he WOULD become some homeless tenderloin guy, especially since he said he almost WANTED to live like a dog, as if there was some honor in that.

But I also believe that if you have a strong purpose (and are serious, not making jokes), and have a goal you believe in, doors will open for you.

People in even worse circumstances have done the same thing and succeeded despite all the people saying "you're crazy if you try that", and if they hadn't, the quality of life many of us appreciate today would not exist.
I'm not saying that there's no chance that he/she won't find success - just that it's tough right now. And I've heard that theory about "doors opening" many times, and frankly am starting to find it rather offensive; things might work out in the end, but often people - people who are serious, smart, work hard, and are 100% dedicated to their goals - don't always succeed. Doors do NOT always open, even if you're the most deserving of people. Especially in this economy and with the SF job market.

The OP doesn't sound particulary wedded to the idea of San Francisco, but rather just a big, interesting city. Maybe his/her "open door" is elsewhere, otherwise if he's really serious than he should at least save up a little money so that he can be more likely to turn his dreams into reality.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:03 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalablahblah View Post
How feasible/possible is it to simply move to San Francisco with nothing but maybe some cash to pay for a couple nights at a motel and the food and water? Is it too hard these days(Or any other day) to come into the city, find a simple job(Flipping burgers,etc.) and live cheap off of that for a while?
Not at all; people do it all the time.

Welcome home...

Old 05-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
And I've heard that theory about "doors opening" many times, and frankly am starting to find it rather offensive; things might work out in the end, but often people - people who are serious, smart, work hard, and are 100% dedicated to their goals - don't always succeed. Doors do NOT always open, even if you're the most deserving of people. Especially in this economy and with the SF job market.
I'm sorry that offended you.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry that offended you.
Well, you didn't say it, but I guess what bothers me is that the "doors open if you work hard enough" viewpoint can imply that if doors aren't opening (or aren't opening fast enough) that one isn't deserving. I realize most people don't mean it that way, and it's supposed to be an uplifting message.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:03 PM

I don't really mean it in a "work hard enough" way though. More in a believe in yourself and the universe listens way. But if someone doesn't feel deserving, there's no space for what they want to show up. They would probably push it away the first glimpse they got of it. I think we are our own worst enemies and that's why things don't work out. I don't believe in the luck of the draw.

But, those are just my own beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland