Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E14 View Post
this would end up speeding up the gentrification of west oakland. what's wrong with jack london square? its closer to downtown, clubs, restaurants etc.
JLS is my ideal spot for a stadium. That would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
I Wish, I think it's pathetic that Teams like the Oakland A's and San Francisco 49ers are about to move out of their cities to Rich Suburban out of the way towns like Fremont or Santa Clara? Do you know how bad the traffic will be trying to get out there? Santa Clara especially. These teams provided jobs to people in the area who need them. The 49ers being in Bay View/ Hunters Point and A's being in East Oakland. Baseball especially is supposed to be in an urban environment.
Many A's fans hail from places like Solano County, outskirts of Contra Costa, even Tracy. They'll stop attending games if the venue is moved to an off center location like the South Bay.

Reality is a b___ , indeed the South Bay is and always will be off center, relative to the Bay Area's centers of gravity relative to both population and general development span. The center of gravity for overall population is a bit SE of Oakland and development wise a bit north and east of that.

The Giants or 49ers would also have the same issue, vis a vis fans from Marin, northern East Bay, etc.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Interestingly, though, a move of the A's to Sacto may work.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:13 PM

377 posts, read 588,872 times
Quote:
You sure about that? The LA teams that were there hardly sold out. Besides LA is more about USC than the NFL.
From the very limited knowledge I have on this subject, my understanding is that somehow L.A. is tied up in having the Coliseum be the only place an NFL franchise could be. USC is popular, but is in a horrific neighborhood and no one wants to invest in that area, they would rather build an NFL team anywhere but the most dangerous part of Los Angeles. USC area is basically the heart of darkness.

I'm sure someone knows more than me though.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not unless they make the playoffs. GSW have been so bad for so long, I think a lot of people forgot the team existed until it made the playoffs a few years ago. But there is a decent sized die hard fan base, many of my friends are big Warriors fans through thick and thin but I don't get that impression from much of the Bay Area as a whole. To me, its seen as a Bay Area team overall.
Thanks for that clarification. Just wondering if I lived in that area, if there's enough excitement and support behind them to get me to watch them instead of the Lakers.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:21 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
i agree stadium at jls is the way to go.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:21 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
You honestly think the average person gave a **** about USC when there were pro teams in the area? The Trojans just fill a void.
The average person doesn't give a **** about any pro team unless they are into sports. USC has been ranked in the top 3 for the past 10 years. Even when there were pro teams there that 100 K plus stadium was filled when the NFL teams couldn't do it. So what void are you talking about?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:36 PM

I think some people may still associate NFL in LA with the Raiders, who had a really thuggish reputation. Tons of gangsters out here still wear Raiders clothes. Don't know if they kept their reputation when they headed up north.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:40 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
I think some people may still associate NFL in LA with the Raiders, who had a really thuggish reputation. Tons of gangsters out here still wear Raiders clothes. Don't know if they kept their reputation when they headed up north.
The Rams were there too. It's the colors that make them popular with certain groups. I've been to a Eagles game and the fans in Philly are worse in terms of "Thug" than Raiders fans.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
The average person doesn't give a **** about any pro team unless they are into sports. USC has been ranked in the top 3 for the past 10 years. Even when there were pro teams there that 100 K plus stadium was filled when the NFL teams couldn't do it. So what void are you talking about?
The void left by the Raiders and Rams was filled by USC. How is that difficult to understand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Many A's fans hail from places like Solano County, outskirts of Contra Costa, even Tracy. They'll stop attending games if the venue is moved to an off center location like the South Bay.

Reality is a b___ , indeed the South Bay is and always will be off center, relative to the Bay Area's centers of gravity relative to both population and general development span. The center of gravity for overall population is a bit SE of Oakland and development wise a bit north and east of that.

The Giants or 49ers would also have the same issue, vis a vis fans from Marin, northern East Bay, etc.
If there was only one team in the Bay Area, all that would matter. However, putting one team next to another is stupid. If a second team was to move out here today, there's no way they'd pick Oakland over San Jose because it crowds one corner of the market and leaves another untapped. Oakland is in the conversation because of a decision made 40 years ago. It's not so much East Bay versus South Bay as it is an issue of the Giants already existing. Only New York (Giants/Jets) and LA (Lakers/Clippers) are big enough to get away with that. The Bay Area together is not even half the size of either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland