Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:48 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,049,109 times

Advertisements

I thought they already approved the fee increase for the bridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 11:54 AM

28,109 posts, read 63,514,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
I thought they already approved the fee increase for the bridge?
Unless it happened today... Carpools are still toll-free during carpool hours.

Look for that to change...

Old 05-28-2009, 12:04 PM

Ok, didn't know there was going to be a charge for the carpool. If there is a fee for that it would REALLY SUCK!!! But I thought you were referring to the bay bridge increase from $4 to $5 (I believe that has already been approved).

Old 05-28-2009, 12:08 PM

28,109 posts, read 63,514,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Ok, didn't know there was going to be a charge for the carpool. If there is a fee for that it would REALLY SUCK!!! But I thought you were referring to the bay bridge increase from $4 to $5 (I believe that has already been approved).
There have been several stories in the news about eliminating Free carpool lanes... apparently, the Bay Area is the only large metro area in the country that doesn't charge...

Old 05-28-2009, 12:20 PM

Wow, this would increase traffic congestion. Carpooling into SF is one of the ways we save money on our commute.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:06 PM
E14

147 posts, read 544,771 times
this will backfire
i ride bart most days, but its about to be way too expensive for me
bart might be able to eliminate some of its deficit, but at what cost?
fewer people will use bart to the point where the revenue change will be negligible and those who cant afford to spend $10 a day on transportation and dont own a car will be screwed

Old 05-28-2009, 01:11 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,404,195 times
Eliminating free carpool lanes and upping BART fares, way to keep it eco-friendly!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:59 PM

495 posts, read 1,829,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyzoo View Post
Just curious, how much does it cost to use the Bart and how much will it cost after the price hike?
I don't know the fare hike percentages, but it presently costs $6.80 or more to travel from the east bay to san francisco roundtrip on BART. sometimes i will just drive and pay the bridge toll and use the gas if i'm not dealing with parking. it comes out to be about the same cost. more people will probably do the same.

major employers on both sides of the bay who have any sense offer financial incentives to commuters who rideshare and/or take public transportation. so hopefully the impact won't be too great for people who have 9 to 5's. when i worked in the financial district, i paid $15 for a monthly MUNI pass in the 90's. i purchased it directly from my employer. that was a great deal and I know it extended to BART fares as well. i hope they're still able to offer these incentives as they do help.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:06 PM

495 posts, read 1,829,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Eliminating free carpool lanes and upping BART fares, way to keep it eco-friendly!
no kidding.

but it is inevitable if BART is impacted by the economic crisis. they have to pay their staff, drivers etc. i'm not educated on how that works exactly, but i do know the money has to come from somewhere. the riders will have to pay for the increase. i may not like it, but it's the way our system is set up right now. it won't change until the system changes.

i believe they are trying to get more people to buy the fast trak pass by eliminating the free carpool lanes. just a hunch. they will make money with both the charged carpool lane and the fast trak passes. sneaky, but effective. *if people are creative & smart they can pool their money together and share the fast trak expenses...keep carpooling and save $$ that way.

*a positive, super eco-friendly way to look at this situation is: if less people take BART and are forced to partner up with their neighbors on their commute rideshare, than perhaps more people will carpool and there will be less cars on the road. i'm just going to go ahead and intend that there will be a positive impact. keeping it positive in my mind is about all i have left. lol.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:13 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,404,195 times
Oh yeah, and then there's that rate hike to cover the settlement for gunning passengers down, that kinda puts a damper on things too.

Look at how bass-ackwards things have become. Sitting in gridlocked traffic becomes a more cheaper, attractive option than mass transit, amazing. Only in the bay area could such odds be defied. If I weren't moving back there soon, I'd be roaring with laughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland