Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 6,293 times

Advertisements

Hi BayAreaHillyBilly,
Thanks for the feedback. I have family in Cupertino and have visited that area a bunch of times. I agree that we'd have to give up space compared to what we have now. It may not necessarily be an "equal" move out West. But it's worth it just for the warmth. Still though - aren't the Peninusla towns known for being family friendly as well as work friendly? Also - what about the Berkeley area? I heard it tends to be cooler and foggy, like SF.
Our big motivator for this move is ESCAPE FROM COLD WEATHER!

PS: Brokliner1, sorry if I've hijacked your post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 09:22 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prachigo View Post
Hi BayAreaHillyBilly,
Thanks for the feedback. I have family in Cupertino and have visited that area a bunch of times. I agree that we'd have to give up space compared to what we have now. It may not necessarily be an "equal" move out West. But it's worth it just for the warmth. Still though - aren't the Peninusla towns known for being family friendly as well as work friendly? Also - what about the Berkeley area? I heard it tends to be cooler and foggy, like SF.
Our big motivator for this move is ESCAPE FROM COLD WEATHER!

PS: Brokliner1, sorry if I've hijacked your post!
I live on the Peninsula at the edge of an established old school "Cal Train Commuter" suburb. The demographic is upper middle to lower upper class, folks are mostly from northern European ethnic groups, with a smattering of blacks and people from other ethnic backgrounds.

There are something like 3 young children on my entire road. Maybe about 4 or 5 teenagers - we're talking a 1/2 mile long road. There are no tweens I am aware of. Many DINKs, many empty nesters, a few singles and gays. Last Halloween we only had one group of trick or treaters (some teens with pillow cases) - previous years it had been more, there's been an ongoing downward trend. My coworkers with children largely live in places like those immigrant enclaves I mentioned (those particular co workers are immigrants themselves) or in distant far flung places inland (e.g. my American co workers). They commute an hour or more. This is my world.

(BTW - Cupertino which you mentioned is a case where an entire town is an ethnic enclave - it's Northern California's "Monterey Park" equivalent - Monterey Park is So Cal's famous "Little Taipei." To live there one had better be Chinese and speak Mandarin or else life would simply be a bit weird - BTW2 - I am fractionally Chinese myself but culturally Anglo Saxon)

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 06-11-2009 at 09:38 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 04:21 PM

6 posts, read 25,717 times
Default curious about where you landed

As a "soon to be moving to the bay" person with may of the same questions as yours..just wondering where you ended up and your thoughts on the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookliner1 View Post
Hello!

I'll be working in Foster City, and we have a 5 yr old starting kindergarten in the fall and a 2 year old baby girl.

We've been just outside Boston in Brookline, MA for some time (Coolidge Corner specifically, in case there are any Brookline / Boston transplants that know the neighborhood) and have really enjoyed it.

We're not looking to replicate Coolidge Corner necessarily (which is a semi-urban, walk everywhere to everything, subway stop, 3 miles to Boston city center), but not sure we are ready for pure suburban life entirely. We don't need to be in an urban environment, but needing to drive absolutely everywhere frightens my wife a bit

For a CA reference point, we've also lived in Pasadena which was a good option for us; something with a similar feel to Pasadena could work.

So... here's the target criteria:

1. Commute: Don't want to commute much, rather maximize time with the kids
2. Town Center: My wife is European, she'll be at home with the kids; mention the European thing as she really wants to have some sort of town center hub (as is natural for her), needs to see people around, and wants to be able to walk to all necessities (schools, shops, grocery, etc)
3. International / Diverse: would like to have some international friends, ideally from all over to include Europe
4. Character: We'd trade some convenience for character in terms of the town if that makes sense
5. Schools: Good schools
6. Kid Friendly: Good kid / family activities, sports, etc.
7. Outdoor Activity Access: Easy access to outdoor activities - really important for us is to escape to hike, bike and be at the ocean / beach; we'd do this almost every weekend - by the way, what are the best beaches accessible from the Bay area? (a noob question, I realize!) More for a stroll, too cold to swim?
8. Budget: We'd like to rent a 3 BR townhouse / house for ~$3k a month
9. Nightmare Scenario: A Wisteria Lane / Desperate Housewives vibe

Been lurking in these forums for a while, and it *seems* like Foster City, San Carlos, and Palo Alto *might* be good options. Is it nuts to consider San Fran and do the reverse commute?

OK, I know the criteria list is pretty long Any and all advice very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland