Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 AM

19 posts, read 116,208 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'll be working in Foster City, and we have a 5 yr old starting kindergarten in the fall and a 2 year old baby girl.

We've been just outside Boston in Brookline, MA for some time (Coolidge Corner specifically, in case there are any Brookline / Boston transplants that know the neighborhood) and have really enjoyed it.

We're not looking to replicate Coolidge Corner necessarily (which is a semi-urban, walk everywhere to everything, subway stop, 3 miles to Boston city center), but not sure we are ready for pure suburban life entirely. We don't need to be in an urban environment, but needing to drive absolutely everywhere frightens my wife a bit

For a CA reference point, we've also lived in Pasadena which was a good option for us; something with a similar feel to Pasadena could work.

So... here's the target criteria:

1. Commute: Don't want to commute much, rather maximize time with the kids
2. Town Center: My wife is European, she'll be at home with the kids; mention the European thing as she really wants to have some sort of town center hub (as is natural for her), needs to see people around, and wants to be able to walk to all necessities (schools, shops, grocery, etc)
3. International / Diverse: would like to have some international friends, ideally from all over to include Europe
4. Character: We'd trade some convenience for character in terms of the town if that makes sense
5. Schools: Good schools
6. Kid Friendly: Good kid / family activities, sports, etc.
7. Outdoor Activity Access: Easy access to outdoor activities - really important for us is to escape to hike, bike and be at the ocean / beach; we'd do this almost every weekend - by the way, what are the best beaches accessible from the Bay area? (a noob question, I realize!) More for a stroll, too cold to swim?
8. Budget: We'd like to rent a 3 BR townhouse / house for ~$3k a month
9. Nightmare Scenario: A Wisteria Lane / Desperate Housewives vibe

Been lurking in these forums for a while, and it *seems* like Foster City, San Carlos, and Palo Alto *might* be good options. Is it nuts to consider San Fran and do the reverse commute?

OK, I know the criteria list is pretty long Any and all advice very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by brookliner1; 06-03-2009 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:22 AM

60 posts, read 435,656 times
I would think Menlo Park and Burlingame would also be good options. The options you mentioned - San Carlos and Palo Alto would probably work. Foster City seems very suburban to me, and doesn't sound like what you are looking for, from your description.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:20 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,159,666 times
PA: Strong intellectual and cosmopolitan culture b/c many Stanford grad students, faculty, alums and many top Silicon Valley engineers and founders live in town; economically diverse: penniless grad students to various tech billionaires

Walking culture: more so than any Eastern city b/c of nr-perfect weather and urban-style (incl filth and many homeless) downtown; has serious street crime issues b/c of adjacent 101 crime corridor so need to exercise common sense

Prob academically best public schools in SF region but crime issues (or rather kids of criminals) mean many families opt for private schools

Stanford campus (esp its western hills) offers some of CA's most elegantly scenic settings for outdoor activities

Weather in PA area and non-coastal side of Woodside mtns is very similar to that of LA's Westside (cooler and much, much better air quality than Pasadena), but not much of a beach region (Pacific Coast is often chilly, windy, foggy up here, unlike Malibu) but many bike or drive for fun up and over Woodside mtns to PCH to briefly admire coastal scenery

Old 06-03-2009, 10:59 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
All these towns fit your criteria (Character, Diverse, Walkable Town Center, CalTrain stops) and are close to Foster city:

Burlingame
San Mateo
San Carlos
Don't rule out Redwood City (Europeans, Great Downtown, Good Elementary schools, Bad High School, more bang for your buck).

I personally think Menlo Park and Palo Alto have elements of your nightmare scenario (Keepin up with the Jones), but are very nice.

We used to live in NYC, and the Peninsula is about as suburban as we can get....

Living on the Peninsula (above towns) is great:
Farmers Markets
Independent diverse restaurants.
Coyote Point nearby for kids, has a Museum and Zoo too.
Malibu Grand Prix for mini golf, race cars and games.

There are always some events going on, last week in Redwood City we had a Pet Parade, Music at the Park...etc.

Some great Mountain trails right up 92 for biking, hiking etc.

We usually head to the San Francisco Zoo (101, 280, John Daly Blvd, 35, Sloat (20-30min drive)). Then after the Zoo, we just walk down Ocean Beach and fly a kite or head into GG Park. If you are looking for warm water and a true "beach day" Santa Cruz is about an hour drive.

There are countless activities for kids around the BayArea, most of these are in San Francisco, Marin or San Jose though.

I think the Discovery Museum in Sausalito might be one of the most intelligently setup kid parks in the world: http://www.baykidsmuseum.org/

http://www.baykidsmuseum.org/typo3temp/pics/ca062635dd.jpg (broken link)

Actually my wife and 18 month daughter are there right now

Last edited by Mach50; 06-03-2009 at 11:26 AM..

Old 06-03-2009, 03:50 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookliner1 View Post
Hello!

I'll be working in Foster City, and we have a 5 yr old starting kindergarten in the fall and a 2 year old baby girl.

We've been just outside Boston in Brookline, MA for some time (Coolidge Corner specifically, in case there are any Brookline / Boston transplants that know the neighborhood) and have really enjoyed it.

We're not looking to replicate Coolidge Corner necessarily (which is a semi-urban, walk everywhere to everything, subway stop, 3 miles to Boston city center), but not sure we are ready for pure suburban life entirely. We don't need to be in an urban environment, but needing to drive absolutely everywhere frightens my wife a bit

For a CA reference point, we've also lived in Pasadena which was a good option for us; something with a similar feel to Pasadena could work.

So... here's the target criteria:

1. Commute: Don't want to commute much, rather maximize time with the kids
2. Town Center: My wife is European, she'll be at home with the kids; mention the European thing as she really wants to have some sort of town center hub (as is natural for her), needs to see people around, and wants to be able to walk to all necessities (schools, shops, grocery, etc)
3. International / Diverse: would like to have some international friends, ideally from all over to include Europe
4. Character: We'd trade some convenience for character in terms of the town if that makes sense
5. Schools: Good schools
6. Kid Friendly: Good kid / family activities, sports, etc.
7. Outdoor Activity Access: Easy access to outdoor activities - really important for us is to escape to hike, bike and be at the ocean / beach; we'd do this almost every weekend - by the way, what are the best beaches accessible from the Bay area? (a noob question, I realize!) More for a stroll, too cold to swim?
8. Budget: We'd like to rent a 3 BR townhouse / house for ~$3k a month
9. Nightmare Scenario: A Wisteria Lane / Desperate Housewives vibe

Been lurking in these forums for a while, and it *seems* like Foster City, San Carlos, and Palo Alto *might* be good options. Is it nuts to consider San Fran and do the reverse commute?

OK, I know the criteria list is pretty long Any and all advice very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I think I'll be able to answer your questions well considering I have lived in Boston, San Francisco, and Los Angeles in my lifetime.

I wish San Francisco could replicate an area like Brookline where you could walk to the city, but that isn't possible. San Francisco, like most western cities, does give off a more suburban vibe despite its density.

I think Palo Alto would be the most similar to Pasadena, but Burlingame would be more similar to the areas near the Rose Bowl.

I think Palo Alto would be the best bet for you because you are looking for a very collegial environment coming from the Brookline/Boston area. Palo Alto is located right on the edge of Stanford University, and there are many students residing in the local area.

Palo Alto would be a 20-30 minute commute using the 101. Palo Alto is also only 45-50 minutes from San Francisco and 35-40 minutes from San Jose.

Palo Alto has very reputable public schools and there are several good private alternative schools throughout the Peninsula and Silicon Valley. Schools in California however, are not as good as those found in Massachusetts. I might consider private depending on your personal situation.

There are plenty of outdoor activities in the Bay Area. My favorite activity is to hike and bike around the mountainous areas.

Your budget will be a major problem. I have seen many 2 bedroom houses in Palo Alto renting for $4,000 month. You might have to settle for an apartment.

You'll run into housewives throughout the Bay Area, just as you would in many parts of suburban Boston. You'll be able to pick the croud you want to hang out with fairly easily.

I might also consider looking into Burlingame or Millbrae but I think those aren't what you are looking for. Menlo Park might be what you are looking for but I'd have some reservations about Menlo-Atherton High School. I might send my kids to Menlo School or the American-German International School. One of my kids attended Menlo when we lived in Atherton. It is a great school.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:55 PM

19 posts, read 116,208 times
thanks for your replies! @US-Traveller - thanks for your view; yes, we are realizing we'll need to come up o our budget. $3500 is doable, $4000 would be a stretch, but not impossible. Hopefully that gets us where we need to be.

Also, how would you compare San Carlos to Palo Alto?

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:55 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,578 times
San Carlos is not on par with Palo Alto. If you are considering Palo Alto I wouldn't consider San Carlos.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 PM

3,241 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookliner1 View Post
Is it nuts to consider San Fran and do the reverse commute?
San Francisco could be your best option for a walkable community. From West Portal it is an easy escape from the city and you also have 3 trains going into the central part of the city. You just have to be willing to gamble on the SF school lotto for kindergarten or go to a private school. San Francisco has 16 elementary schools ranked a 9 or a 10. They also have a lot of low rated ones.

California School Ratings - San Francisco County

Millbrae is another good choice since you have the Bart service to SF from Millbrae and it is quite close to Foster City.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:57 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
San Carlos is less expensive than PA, and is more of a one street cutsie down town vibe. Schools are acceptable but not as good as PA. SC is closer to FC. Both SC and PA have Cal Train stations for access to The City using something besides a car.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 PM

3,241 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I personally think Menlo Park and Palo Alto have elements of your nightmare scenario (Keepin up with the Jones), but are very nice.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...y-culture.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland