Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 11:25 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
What are you talking about? The Asians who immigrated here way way back (19th and early 20th century) were not even permitted to assimilate. See my post way up above about how early Asian immigrants were marginalized by American society (anti-miscegenation laws, Chinese exclusion acts etc etc).

This claim that American (ie white) society welcomes foreigners who wish to assimilate into American culture is refuted by the evidence of history. Foreigners who wanted to assimilate were actually rejected by white society. The experience of black Americans alone (the segregation of blacks from mainsteram white society until recently) is evidence of that.

It simply amazes me that immigrants and non-whites are now accused of having no interest in assimilation when they have historically been prevented from doing so by the white establishment.
But that earlier wave, had, by the 1960s, fully assimilated. They overcame racism, because they love America and fought to be accepted and assimilated. They did not have a colonists' mind set. Quite unlike the current wave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Why is lack of diversity suddenly a concern? Hasn't the argument been that California is too diverse, too multicultural for its own good?
Don't conflate diversity and multiculturalism. They are not the same thing.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I'm sorry, but you obviously don't know much about San Francisco/Bay Area history.

Perhaps you misstated or are just not that knowledgeable about the subject matter, but the Chinese in San Francisco had a particularly rough time.

The Chinese immigrants pretty much built ALL the railroads across the West Coast of America.

When I was a little girl my family would eat out at pretty much the only dim sum place in the City (Tung Fong, no longer there).

We would always comment and discuss the older Chinese gentlemen playing Mah Jong or chess in the Washington Square park... (my grandparents were Asian/Chinese born). These guys had basically been saving up their ENTIRE lives to bring their wives/children to California via a plane ticket. These men were the launderette owners, former railroad workers, and restaurant workers. That's all they were ALLOWED to do.

They were paid NOTHING for all their labor. They were not allowed to make a normal "white man" wage or be given the same respect, pay, benefits, or even the chance to assimilate whilst they toiled away for pennies. So please don't try to speak for the original Chinese/Asian population and try to assert that they were even given the chance to assimilate.

Perhaps you need to take a visit to the towns of Locke (Chinese community) or Walnut Grove (Japanese community) in the Delta to get a feel for what you don't know that much about.
Well, my friends growing up, while they may have been descendants of Coolies abused by RR companies, etc, 150 years ago, certainly were not discriminated against. They acted very bourgeois and American. Most of them got so disgusted by how things were changing here in the Bay Area that many of them got out of here either to Sacto and other more inland places, or, bailed completely on California and are raising their families in the so called "Bible Belt."

Old 06-23-2009, 11:56 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Illegal immigrants are huge in the South. There is a huge Asian and Spanish presence there. There were parts of GA where I swear I was in CA. The cost of living is cheaper else where and the demand is high for them as well.
No state will be immune from overpopulation thanks to illegals from sob. They are far from a blessing.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:49 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Don't conflate diversity and multiculturalism. They are not the same thing.
Ok, explain the difference.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:54 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Quote:
But that earlier wave, had, by the 1960s, fully assimilated. They overcame racism, because they love America and fought to be accepted and assimilated. They did not have a colonists' mind set. Quite unlike the current wave.
Explain "colonist's mindset".

Old 06-23-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Ok, explain the difference.
Diversity is a characteristic regarding things like race, ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation. It is an immutable fact, something which cannot be changed or undone. However, a diverse society can share cultural norms and common values.

Multiculturalism is where a society or nation fails to continue norming on a given culture, and ceases to assimilate newcomers. At some point, there is no more norming, or even any set of standards to norm to, and therefore no longer shared values. Ultimately, there is a collapse.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Explain "colonist's mindset".
It is the opposite of an immigrant's mindset. A colonist goes out to impose his or her culture and society on a new land and its current denizens.

An immigrant goes out to embrace a new land, which he or she perceives to be better than his or her current one.

The immigrant purposely cuts the ties with his or her homeland, and judges it inferior to his or her new land, which is the motivation to immigrate in the first place. The colonist, on the other hand, sets forth with a superiority complex, and ultimately seeks to spread his culture, society and perhaps even sovereign control, to a new land. In this last case, the colonist becomes an outright conqueror.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:25 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,437 times
Quote:
Diversity is a characteristic regarding things like race, ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation. It is an immutable fact, something which cannot be changed or undone. However, a diverse society can share cultural norms and common values.

Multiculturalism is where a society or nation fails to continue norming on a given culture, and ceases to assimilate newcomers. At some point, there is no more norming, or even any set of standards to norm to, and therefore no longer shared values. Ultimately, there is a collapse.
Very well put and I totally agree. I'm black, living in California and this "multiculturalism" non-sense must go, You choose to come here then your American and adopt the way we do things (western culture, individualism, assimilation) or go back to where you came from. Simple.

Last edited by BayDude; 06-23-2009 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 05:30 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Very well put and I totally agree. I'm black and this "multiculturalism" non-sense must go, You choose to come here then your American and adopt the way we do things (western culture, individualism, assimilation) or go back to where you came from. Simple.
You're not Black and second of all "Multiculturalism" is what makes up America. Would you like the US to be like Japan? Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland