Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post

Do you really think whites left because Asians are too smart? They left because they would rather live in a place that seems like America. Cupertino is a joke. A has-been suburb that will go the way of Westminster (Orange county). You want to believe that Asians are the new (where it's at) in group that everyone is itching to follow. Ain't happening buddy.
Explain how Cupertino is a joke. Is the $113K median household income a joke? The low crime rate? The excellent schools? Or is it a joke (to you) because it has a large population of high achieving Asians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:58 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
dang, urbanquest. what's with all the anti-asian sentiment?

as an asian-american, i'm offended by a number of things you've said in this thread. and in the process of making your derogatory comments about asians, you've also taken this thread way off topic.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Many Asians are worst than the racist white supremacist.
exaggerate much?

Quote:
They go out their way to be accepted by whites which is one reason you'll see more Asian women dating white men than Asian women dating Asian men.
sadly, i agree that some asians act that way. of course, there are also many of us who have a healthy amount of self-respect and thus would never "go out of our way" to brownnose an entire group of people who happen to be of a different race/background.

please don't portray all asians in the same light - it's offensive and ignorant, especially coming from non-asians. asians are far from a monolithic group (different native languages, cuisines, customs, belief systems/religions, genetic makeup, etc) and there are many, many people who don't adhere to mainstream america's stereotypes of us.

Quote:
Especially in San Francisco and New York two area's with false tolerance.
as someone who spent much of my life in the nyc metro, i must sadly agree with you about the false tolerance and pretentiousness in nyc, especially among the educated/wealthy elite/hipsters/yuppies. can't speak about sf or the bay area in general since i've never lived there, but friends of mine in that city/region (natives and transplants alike) have grumbled about this as well. of course that represents a small sample size of people and might not mean much.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 PM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
dang, urbanquest. what's with all the anti-asian sentiment?

as an asian-american, i'm offended by a number of things you've said in this thread. and in the process of making your derogatory comments about asians, you've also taken this thread way off topic.
I apologize pbergen. But I think you know where I'm coming from. Don't misunderstand me. It's really the rampant racism that bothers me. In all honesty, my wife is Filipino and we have a son. I am in a unique position to witness this racism and it has no basis or power at all. The way Asians practice racism is in a dispicable populist type of way. Much the same way white children cheered on lynchings in the South in the past and how people spat and chided jews as they where being rounded up in world war II. A very cold type of racism that may appear harmless and vague, comes dangerously close to the chance of outright Los Angelization (ethnic cleansing) of all of America. The country will be lost if that happens.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Explain how Cupertino is a joke. Is the $113K median household income a joke? The low crime rate? The excellent schools? Or is it a joke (to you) because it has a large population of high achieving Asians?
Yes, demographics in Santa Clara Cities cannot be compared to other places with high asian populations because Asians in the Santa Clara Valley tend to be very, very highly educated because of their employment in the technical fields of Silicon Valley.

Apples and Oranges.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
You do know that many ASians in California have been here for generations. They're not necessarily recent immigrants. You also seem to be ignorant of the fact that we already have a state that is dominated by Asians: it's called Hawaii. So, there's no need for you to speculate about "what will happen to our culture if Asians take over". Last time I checked, Hawaii is one of the most affluent and desirable states of the union. It is not mired in "Confucian" barbarism. Nothing draconian will happen if Asians dominate in California. If anything, the culture will improve, given the high level of respect for family values, high level of education, high level of entrepreneurship, and high incomes that Asians bring with them.

So if you don't like the idea of Asians taking over California, you are free to leave. Make way for the new power elite.
I think culturally, Asians are too docile to become some sort of new "power elite" group dominating the upper positions of society and dictating new social rules. Its not gonna happen or it would have already did. They also have high-intermarriage rates with whites. They are on a path to almost total assimilation. For example it was forecasted that the japanese american population would literally disappear (presumably into the general euro-american gene pool) within a few decades.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
I think culturally, Asians are too docile to become some sort of new "power elite" group dominating the upper positions of society and dictating new social rules. Its not gonna happen or it would have already did. They also have high-intermarriage rates with whites. They are on a path to almost total assimilation. For example it was forecasted that the japanese american population would literally disappear (presumably into the general euro-american gene pool) within a few decades.

I agree. While asians have done well in technical jobs they haven't fared as well when it comes to power positions. There was an article about how dominant the asian population was when it came to hi tech "smart" jobs, but that percentage wise they were poorly represented in management.
I am asian and I can remember how much I was pushed to become a scientist by my mother. It was respectful. When I talked about majoring in business administration she pretty much stopped talking to me. As a culture I think asians historically have had a "quiet" attitude-sometime out of respect. This has held them back in america.

Remember when Yao came to America to play in the NBA? he didn't do so well at first, He wasn't aggressive enough. He wouldn't dunk the basketball because he thought he was being disrespectful to his opponents. Luckily he was retrained and became one of the best Pro basketball player.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:50 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANC View Post
Taking immigration status out of the equation here, I think it's a low burn. We natives are often hesitant to leave the state we were raised to love, but it becomes clearer as we grow older than to have any chance of a comfortable like, we either need to be wealthy or leave. My husband and I have zero debt, yet are barely scraping by on $55k a year (was double that prior to me being laid off, and we were still tight on money - we had to move to a tiny apartment in a so-so area to get by on $55k). And the catch-22 is it's so hard to save up enough to move out of state when it's hard enough getting by to the next paycheck.

The size of the government is out of control for as little as gets done. Californians in general have the mindset of entitlement (thank you to my parents for not raising me this way), and everyone screams if there's a cut somewhere. You know, 2 plus 2 really changes meaning and so warrants replacing math books every couple years, you know? So how dare they cut replacing texts?! Can't cut funding to paying for AIDS drugs, can't cut money to any "social" programs, so the cuts happen in schools and police departments and taxes go up to cover the deficit of taxes not paid by those laid off. It's a downward spiral, and the feelings of being lost and hopeless wear you down and you just take it until you can't anymore.

A problem that exists is that to fund anything for the poor, the middle class has to pay more and more in taxes, essentially supporting the poor, even though many poor families have able-bodied adults who don't even try to find work. But what to you do, jail people for refusing to work for year? Oh no, what about the kids...better let able-bodied parents continue on welfare and stretching middle-class people beyond their limits....

I can't wait until we can leave. Some areas we love, but we can't afford to be here for more than a couple more years, if that long.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:26 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:

so the cuts happen in schools and police departments and taxes go up to cover the deficit of taxes not paid by those laid off. It's a downward spiral, and the feelings of being lost and hopeless wear you down and you just take it until you can't anymore.
I agree with most of your post. I work for one of California's larger cities. I take exception to the idea that the cuts are hitting police departments. That is not true for the most part. In most instances, police, firemen, and prison guards have gotten pay raises and benefit increases significantly larger than most other public sector workers, and this has been going on for YEARS. Usually, if there are budget cuts to the police or fire departments, all the other departments have to take at least DOUBLE whatever police/fire take.

There was even a post on here a few weeks ago where someone listed the average police salaries in cities in CA compared with police salaries in other high cost areas.

The police salaries in CA were consistently much higher than other high cost cities outside CA.

The other public sector unions are no angels, but the police/fire/prison guard unions are the worst.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 06-22-2009 at 02:10 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 01:29 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
What he's describing sounds like where I lived in Massachusetts for a while. Steer clear of Connecticut though, where your house can be taken by eminent domain if officials decide that more tax money can be made by tearing your house down and putting up a McMansion.
I think that's true anywhere now, isn't it. The Supreme Court ruled in CTs favor on that one, so I would think any jurisdiction can to that. Totally wrong IMO. I can't believe how corrupt/bone headed, these judges are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland