Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:29 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaca View Post
I'd bet you're a Nazi sympathizer who questions whether or not the Holocaust occurred.
Ouch. Judge much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 07:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
I'd bet you're a Nazi sympathizer who questions whether or not the Holocaust occurred.
are you kidding? I am far from that and I take this as an insult...My son in law is Jewish, we have visited Auschwitz while he and my daughter were working in Poland and he had relatives that were prisoners. I also have a grandson in law that is Hispanic..

that being said, I sometimes think it is better to turn the other cheek and get over things.

NIta

Old 06-12-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I have no idea why Nita even comments. I've rarely seen a helpful comment and she lives 2,000+ miles east. I guess everyone needs to feel involved.
Since when is there a requirement as to who can and can not comment? You and I have discussed this before, yes, I live 2000 miles away as well as lots of people on these boards. Lots of people on the Texas boards or Fl boards live in Calif, but some of us still have connections with other states or interests in them. You may not think I have any helpful comments and you could be right, are your comments always helpful?

You know, my understanding about these boards is, you can question someones opinion but personal insults are not allowed. Oh well, such is live...

Nita

Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times
Never take anyone seriously that asks a question like this that is brand new to CD.
I've seen this to many times. Probably an old or removed member that burned out
all credibility long ago and we will never hear from them again. Under that name anyway.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:54 PM
ANC

24 posts, read 79,367 times
Hate to break it to you, but they can SAY whatever they want. Hate speech isn't inherently a crime. They were just calling you mean names. That's not illegal. It's not a nice feeling being on the receiving end of mean words, but it's not illegal. If it was, there are several people I'd have sued for their blood, so it's not like I'm saying you're out of luck coldly. I've been there, done that, and have consulted with an attorney. Freedom of speech can be a great thing, but it also means that a lot of cruel things are completely legal.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:51 AM

12 posts, read 49,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My son in law is Jewish, we have visited Auschwitz while he and my daughter were working in Poland and he had relatives that were prisoners. I also have a grandson in law that is Hispanic..
And was your roommate in college black? No, no, no...lemme guess, your DNA links you to Franz Fanon and Che Guevara. Whoa, stand back! We've got quite the politico here.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANC View Post
Hate to break it to you, but they can SAY whatever they want. Hate speech isn't inherently a crime. They were just calling you mean names. That's not illegal. It's not a nice feeling being on the receiving end of mean words, but it's not illegal. If it was, there are several people I'd have sued for their blood, so it's not like I'm saying you're out of luck coldly. I've been there, done that, and have consulted with an attorney. Freedom of speech can be a great thing, but it also means that a lot of cruel things are completely legal.
I agree with you, I think people have gone way to far, in many ways, using the phrase "freedom of speech" to say and do what they want. I doubt our forefathers meant it the way it has been used the past 40 years or so.

Nita

Old 06-14-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
And was your roommate in college black? No, no, no...lemme guess, your DNA links you to Franz Fanon and Che Guevara. Whoa, stand back! We've got quite the politico here.
Nope, not black, but my granddaughters first room mate was, does that count? I have no idea who Franz Fanon is, and no connection with Che Guevara.

I do wonder why you think personal attacks are part of these threads?

Nita

Old 06-15-2009, 12:35 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
It is terrible that there are people like that out there, and if you truely fear for your safety, you could try to get a restraining order, it sets a precedent and gives you a bit of legal leverage over them. Having said that, I fully believe in their right to say whatever they want. I believe the first ammendment was put there with the intent of protecting unpopular speech. It is a terrible message they are sending, and with current economic conditions I think we'll see an increase in many forms of angry, hatefull, blame speech.

I 'm guessing those guys will wind up in jail pretty quickly, it's doubtful that they are law abiding citizens, let's just hope they don't affect anyone innocent in the process of getting there.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:14 AM

701 posts, read 2,030,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tind View Post
Are there any lawyers on this forum? I was just sprayed with racial slurs by neighbors while driving in my car down the street minding my own business. I've already made the diplomatic effort to educate these cave people with the utmost patience, but clearly that only made it worse.

I went off on the nazi, but i doubt things will calm down.

I called the police, but all they said was that the incident is "unfortunately, freedom of speech" (typical fremont behavior...don't get me started), while I feel it's hate speech....or at least verbal harassment - especially since I've already made the effort to educate.

I called the nearby school where these folks come and pick up their child (at the same time i pick up my child), and left a message for the school principal asking him to speak to the family tomorrow so there will be no altercations between now and the end of school....but this last incident happened off campus.

I need reinforcements. Any suggestions? I kinda have too much going on in my life (unlike these morons) to completely blow it by doing something that could get me thrown in jail. If there are any lawyers on this forum, I'd appreciate a pm.

Thanks in advance!
With all due respect, I'd recommend just sucking it up... If people could have everyone that said something nasty to them arrested, we'd have to divide the country into a half - one side for the jails/prisons and one for normal living. If they aren't threatening you, then what's the problem? Police have more important matters to take care of then correcting someone's use of words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland