Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 02:16 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,410 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Sonoma county at the end of the year. I'll start school in the spring semester so I have to be there by early January, no later. I have a part time job here where I currently live, in retail that will transfer as long as I put a request in for one so I plan to use that job to hold me over until I can find a better job. The x-mas shopping season is in full swing by November so in order to guarantee a transfer, I think its a better idea for me to move in November, but i worry I won't be financially stable enough by that time to make the move. So that means, financially, its a better idea for me to move in early january, but I can't move with no job. I worry that I won't be able to transfer within my company in January.

I tried to transfer with a retail job this past January back to my hometown where I'm back at now (Tucson, AZ) and due to the slow economy, none of the stores here had room for transfers. I don't know how the Tucson economy compares to Sonoma county, but my biggest worry is that since my job is retail, will it transfer in january when all the x-mas shopping has died down, or does it vary by location of store and should I just check with the store at the location? Does anybody in the area have an idea of how the retail economy is in the area? If its slow then I definitely need to figure something out obviously.

this post is probably a shot in the dark, but maybe someone out there has a clue!

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:04 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
For what its worth... From what I've asked people living in the area, it is pretty slow... My gf and her brother have both been looking for retail type jobs for months with no luck.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 AM

ouch, so am I better off transfering during xmas season?

Is the hospitality industry better? I also waitress and am looking to work at a local chain here so I can easily transfer with that, but if the restaurants are slow, they may not take me either.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
ouch, so am I better off transfering during xmas season?

Is the hospitality industry better? I also waitress and am looking to work at a local chain here so I can easily transfer with that, but if the restaurants are slow, they may not take me either.
Waitress jobs in California are also hard to come by. You may have trouble period unless things change a lot in the next few months.

Nita

Old 06-15-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Waitress jobs in California are also hard to come by. You may have trouble period unless things change a lot in the next few months.

Nita
hmm..ya I don't plan to move until between november and january but it looks like things are slowing down right now more than earlier this year, but could it pick up in a few months? I could also do administrative jobs, but I don't have very much experience there which is why I'm sticking with retail/hospitality until things get better. Retail here in Tucson was extremely slow until march, then everyone started hiring again so I'm wondering if that's the landscape across the country since retail seems to be the same, where as hospitality tends to vary locally. Here in Tucson, nobody hires in the hospitality industry during the summer no matter what the economy looks like, just because we are a snowbird town and nobody lives here between may and September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland