Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:23 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times

Advertisements

Save money. Wash your own car. With a sponge and a bucket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 08:06 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That Napa Super Wal Mart is actually located in American Canyon.

Kinda far from the City but its so big that it qualifies as a day trip. LOL.

I went there and it reminded me of the massive Super Wal Mart in Roseville(or was it Rocklin?)

Anyway, I dont blame people for going there-its huge and has like everything 24 hours a day.

I wasnt a big fan of the produce tho. Some of it was okay, but too much seems prepackaged and I dont like that.

Target does the same thing in its 'grocery' section.

If there were a 24-hour alternative great, but since there isnt, I have to admit that Ive been up to American Canyon in the dark of night on more than one occasion. LOL.

Back in the mid 90s, what is now the High Street Home Depot in Oakland used to be a 24-hour Super K Mart, which I actually preferred to Super Wal Mart and its grocery section was much better.

It was always packed and I wish it was still open.
I know you spend most of your time in Oaktown, but there's a Super Walmart in Gilroy that's just as good, and you wouldn't need to cross a bridge. And a few Safeways are open 24 hours if you need groceries.. not all but a few. We've got one at Branham and Ross.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:29 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I consider automatic car washes and 24 hour convenience stores as basic services. Find me these things in SF
I just searched for car washes in SF on Yelp, and there are 70 different listings! Some of them are fancy detailers, but there are still dozens at gas stations and numerous car-wash only places. I've seen them myself, all the time. For 24 hour convenience stores, try 7-Eleven; they're all over the City. There are also numerous 24 hour Walgreens drug stores around the City. Dude, it's really not that hard to find these things.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:36 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar23 View Post
We are moving to San Francisco soon. I noticed that San Francisco doesn't have a Super Walmart.

We don't like Cosco because our family is small and we don't like buying in large quantity.

My question is ....is their a grocery store, in the Bay Area, where people can go to shop for food.......that has the same environment and prices that Super Walmart offers?

Thanks.
Your typical big box chain stores are in the suburbs. If I remember correctly, there's a Walmart somewhere in East Bay that I went to once. The city of San Francisco has little of this - thank God. It's refreshing to be able to walk out your door and find streets of all kinds of diverse local businesses and markets, and I hope it stays that way. You can find pretty much everything you need. It may be more expensive than a Walmart, but you presumably already know that this city is way more expensive to live in than just about anywhere else in the country.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:01 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
I consider automatic car washes and 24 hour convenience stores as basic services. Find me these things in SF
There's an automatic car wash (i.e., you drive your car through and a bunch of machines wash it) at the Shell station at 3035 Geary, which is a couple blocks from where I live. I've seen plenty more, I just don't recall their specific locations.

That said... why on earth would you want to use an automatic car wash if you have any respect for your automobile whatsoever??? I go to a coin op and do it all by hand with a soft cloth, then polish it up with Meguiar's NXT. Shines like a mirror and the moisture in the air just beads off it.

Anyways... 24 hour convenience stores... there are a few 24-hour safeways if that counts... there's a Quik Stop on Geary that locks the doors but has an attendant 24 hours, there are plenty of places along most of the major boulevards. I've never had a problem finding a roll of TP or getting a bag of chips at 3am here.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:09 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
That would be way too modern and advanced for SF. The city sleeps early and often times you have to drive out of the city for basic services. People here like their dingy, run-down, corner stores that are fully stocked with 5 year old packaged food-
You should move to some different part of the country where you can live in a blissful generic suburbia of cookie cutter corporate stores.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:15 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
I think it's wonderful that WALMART isn't in San Francisco. Besides San Francisco's minimum wage is more than most managers at WALMART make. Anyone who has a reall need to buy Chjinese junk can head for the burbs

Old 05-29-2011, 04:17 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
There's an automatic car wash (i.e., you drive your car through and a bunch of machines wash it) at the Shell station at 3035 Geary, which is a couple blocks from where I live. I've seen plenty more, I just don't recall their specific locations.

That said... why on earth would you want to use an automatic car wash if you have any respect for your automobile whatsoever??? I go to a coin op and do it all by hand with a soft cloth, then polish it up with Meguiar's NXT. Shines like a mirror and the moisture in the air just beads off it.

Anyways... 24 hour convenience stores... there are a few 24-hour safeways if that counts... there's a Quik Stop on Geary that locks the doors but has an attendant 24 hours, there are plenty of places along most of the major boulevards. I've never had a problem finding a roll of TP or getting a bag of chips at 3am here.
Isn't there a 7-11 at 15th Ave and Geary?

Last edited by Boompa; 05-29-2011 at 04:30 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 04:27 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Isn't there a 7-11 at 16th Ave and Geary?
Yup, that too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland