U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 AM

84 posts, read 269,148 times

Advertisements

We are moving to San Francisco soon. I noticed that San Francisco doesn't have a Super Walmart.

We don't like Cosco because our family is small and we don't like buying in large quantity.

My question is ....is their a grocery store, in the Bay Area, where people can go to shop for food.......that has the same environment and prices that Super Walmart offers?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 PM

13,617 posts, read 22,239,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar23 View Post
We are moving to San Francisco soon. I noticed that San Francisco doesn't have a Super Walmart.

We don't like Cosco because our family is small and we don't like buying in large quantity.

My question is ....is their a grocery store, in the Bay Area, where people can go to shop for food.......that has the same environment and prices that Super Walmart offers?

Thanks.
Don't rule out Costco. While you may have to buy "in bulk" often you are buying a container of 8 or 12 homesized cans. Double packs of refrigerated goods can often be frozen. And their gasoline prices are usually 3-10 cents lower than everyone else around.

We shop at Costco often and we are a family of two. Just hubby and me.

Out here we also have Grocery Outlets -- a nice place for canned and frozen and cereals with limited fresh and meats.

And Nob Hill. Great fresh stuff and good prices on it. I've found their produce prices lower than Safeway and quality is FAR higher. I also found that their flour prices for King Arthur (the only kind I use) are better than other places.

I'm usually at war with Safeway, but people do love them. I find them to be dirty and unkempt, but where I live they have a lock on the market, which makes them LAZY. BUT -- they do sell large containers of panko (Japanese bread crumbs). The last time I went looking for panko, I ended up with a small envelope -- now they have them canned like italian bread crumbs.

Safeway's meats are pretty good, but their fish department isn't. Very very limited. I go to a fishmonger in San Leandro and suck up the prices. It's usually worth it.

Safeway is also trying to have a Whole Foods vibe -- but they miss the mark.

Since I actually cook and bake -- I stay away from Whole Foods and Andronicos. They seemed geared towards the busy professionals who want to come home and nuke something. And they are expensive.

And we also have various Farmer's Markets. And Trader Joes. Trader Joes has good egg prices, but the fact everything is becoming Trader Joe's brand really rubs me the wrong way. A lot of retail stores have gone that route and the quality has gone down in all of them.

We also have some great ethnic markets, and sometime the prices there are great.

What you'll need to do it set up a price book -- list the foods you buy normally and travel around to the various stores to list prices.

First Steps To Creating A Price Book For Frugal Grocery Shopping | Frugal Hacks

Old 06-21-2009, 01:13 PM

786 posts, read 963,573 times
generally, compact cities, like SF, don't have many huge megastores like Walmart. Walmart is also known for anti-worker policies and low wages, which would mix like water and oil with San Francisco's high minimum wage and progressive political scene. Don 't get me wrong, I'm not trying to attack you or anything because you like shopping at Walmart, I'm just trying to provide some insight as to why there aren't any Walmarts in SF. If you want to cut costs on groceries, there are alot of places in SF that specialize in selling produce and they sell it cheap.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:36 PM

10,630 posts, read 24,489,345 times
Are you moving to San Francisco, or to somewhere else in the area? There will be very different answers depending on whether you actually live in SF or outside of the city. I also agree with jfields above - it's no personal attack on you, but you probably will find many people around here who will have a knee-jerk negative reaction against Walmart in particular, and larger superstores in general.

Grocery stores in San Francisco often have very high prices; it's one of the added costs of living here. On the other hand, like jfields points out, the produce stores are really cheap. SOmetimes drug stores have some food for sale at lower prices, and I've discovered that 7-11 has the best deals on milk. You could also check out somewhere like Smart and Final; I know there are at least a few in the city itself, and it's like a smaller version of Costco, and can often be sort of a compromise between the vastness (in store and in quantities) of Costco and the smaller (and expensive) sizes in the regular markets.

Once you get out of the city and into many of the other areas of the Bay Area you can find larger grocery stores with lower prices. I don't think any of the Targets around here have grocery stores attached, but they do sell things like cheap boxes of cereal.

In short, if you're moving to the city itself you may find it easiest to adapt the way you think about food or grocery shopping, rather than dealing with the hassles of driving way out somewhere just to go shopping. Check out the local markets of all kinds, go to Safeway or Smart and Final (or Trader Joe's, or. wherever) when needed, make a big shopping trip out to the 'burbs for cheaper non-perishables like cereal once in awhile. It's such a walking city that it's easy to just shop in bits and pieces as needed, rather than making a big driving shopping trip to a huge store like people do in so many other areas of the country.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 PM

52 posts, read 171,442 times
Milk is cheaper in Costco :-) Rest you can shop around based on your choice. Try Lucky.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:16 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,548,263 times
There are Wal Marts in the SF burbs. Also, Big Ks, Targets, etc. There are also Food 4 Less, etc.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:15 AM

13,617 posts, read 22,239,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There are Wal Marts in the SF burbs. Also, Big Ks, Targets, etc. There are also Food 4 Less, etc.
But not a Super WalMart -- the WalMarts sell some foods, but I don't think we have the WalMart attached to a true supermarket shopping experience.

KMart tried that business model, and the one they built at High St. off 880 was awful. I think they got lots of city incentive money and lost a lot due to the old "five finger" discount. That was one of the first KMarts to close when they started closing up a few years back.

But in their case KMart was floundering -- so I don't think it's the business model. The grocery aspect realy was convenience -- it wasn't cheaper at all. (Also, the few times I went there I saw such unsavory stuff. The worst was when we went to buy shrimp. All the seafood was sitting on the ice --no trays.... and all the ice was PINK. A total cross contamination nightmare. That was the last time we went there, too)

I seem to remember hearing something about most of the Bay Area fighting WalMart to NOT get supercenters here.... I think there's one in Gilroy. And there's one in American Canyon.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:36 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,511,539 times
I would say the same as someone else, don't rule out the Sams and Cosco types; you would be surprised how much you can buy and either freeze or store plus how long some of the produce will last and you can get meat in smaller packages. There are only two of us, yet we do Sams every 4 to 6 weeks. If still isn't what you want, I would suggest you travel to the East Bay or wherever to shop..Are you going to be living right in San Francisco?

Nita

Old 05-25-2011, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,804 times
Lets see...its 3 am and im on my way to work...oops i tore the side off my work boots...where can i go get a new pair at this hour before work?!?! Target-CLOSED...Kmart-CLOSED...Safeway, Lucky, Food 4 Less-CLOSED CLOSED and DONT SELL DEPARTMENT STORE STUFF...Hmm what store is pound for pound cheaper than most and is open during ANY hour of need and would have my work boots as well as a bite to eat...WALMRT SUPERCENTER Baby!!!

Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,211,860 times
I don't know every Wal Mart in the Bay Area (the Bay Area is huge), but there is definitely a Super WM in Napa, with the full grocery department. Of course, not too many people live in Napa, and it's not close to a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland