Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:11 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I saw the street address for the one in san francisco. but i havent seen it person to know if it's in a shopping center or just located on some street.
Big Costco, Trader Joe's entry at street level, there was a Bed, Bath & Beyond but I'm not sure it's there anymore (sinking economy). Ross and Marshall's are on Market St. downtown about 4 blocks from eachother. Big urban mall there too, with many of your usual mallstore subjects, but some higher end shops like Kenneth Cole (still there, I hope?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 05:20 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Heck, considering that Westfield owns the Metreon now, they might suggest putting in a Wal-Mart as a cure for its vacancy ills. They tried the same thing in Sacramento (suggested putting a Wal-Mart in the Downtown Plaza mall) and were rather angrily rebuffed. Considering that the Metreon, once a high-tech showcase, now has a farmer's market as a tenant, I wouldn't be surprised by anything Westfield suggested.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:34 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Why are there no discount department stores and no power centers in San Francisco County/City?

I noticed that the city has a lifestyle center, two enclosed regional malls, theme/festival center, downtown fashion district, and are now building a outlet center.

Is this city just really big on smart-growth, and being an upscale tourist city?

Also, where is the Costco in the city located? Is that in a power center or community center?
What the heck is a "power center"?

Old 06-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Too much of anything can harm someone. Too much urban sprawl, too much development, too many strip malls, and too many upscale stores can be bad. Those are reasons for our hurting economy.

I disagree. Spending more than we make is the reason our economy is hurting. The 25 year debt party is officially over. And it's one hell of a hangover.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Incidentally, since Wal-Mart knows they will never be able to build there, instead they decided to build a very nice Wal-Mart close to the Oakland Coliseum where it is sorely needed. I went there once and I was very surprised to find that it was not crazy, even on the day before a Raiders game. The San Jose Wal-Marts are an absolute bedlam, but the Oakland store was a genuinely pleasant experience.
You are right abou the SJ Walmarts being bedlam! I HATE them! It's nice to know the one in Oakland isn't like that.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:51 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times
Land here is too expensive and the zoning also makes it difficult.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:54 PM

358 posts, read 1,037,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
IMO nobody "needs" a Wallmart.
There was a time I would have agreed with this. While I hate what Walmart represents and how they run their business, I once visited one (got a gift certificate for my son from relatives in North Carolina) and as I looked at who was shopping there, I realized that the majority of the people who shop there do so because the NEED to, not because they WANT to. If you are working 60 hours per week making $8 per hour with no benefits, Walmart is about the only store where you can afford to feed and clothe your family. Its a sad reality that Walmart has exploited.

Again, I personally would never choose to shop there, but I can now understand why some people do, and I can't pass judgement on them for doing so.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:56 PM

358 posts, read 1,037,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I disagree. Spending more than we make is the reason our economy is hurting. The 25 year debt party is officially over. And it's one hell of a hangover.
Our economy is hurting for MANY different reasons.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:02 AM
E14

147 posts, read 545,575 times
"power centers" are disgusting
no one needs walmarts, they are just lazy and led to believe that there are no other options on a budget
buying used clothes at thrift stores and individual ingredients at grocery stores for meals is much cheaper and healthier and actually helps local businesses
communities should be as close to self-sufficient as possible, and not rely on some mega corporation to bring their chinese **** to them
anyone who would actively seek out a mall when they are in the middle of an urban environment is an idiot
i never spent more than something like 10 dollars on a piece of clothing until recently and never bought anything at a mall, so i dont buy that poverty excuse
buying mass produced chinese garbage is not a symptom of economic hardship, it is a symptom of ignorance

Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E14 View Post
"power centers" are disgusting
no one needs walmarts, they are just lazy and led to believe that there are no other options on a budget
buying used clothes at thrift stores and individual ingredients at grocery stores for meals is much cheaper and healthier and actually helps local businesses
communities should be as close to self-sufficient as possible, and not rely on some mega corporation to bring their chinese **** to them
anyone who would actively seek out a mall when they are in the middle of an urban environment is an idiot
i never spent more than something like 10 dollars on a piece of clothing until recently and never bought anything at a mall, so i dont buy that poverty excuse
buying mass produced chinese garbage is not a symptom of economic hardship, it is a symptom of ignorance
Wow, so idealistic.

I tend to agree with everything you say but in practice, I must confess that I like shopping at WalMart(people in Upper Rockridge would never forgive me if they found out(LOL)). Its just so EASY-plus there are two 2 freeway exits apart(Hegenberger, Davis). Now there's a new one off of Hesperian. What is one to do.

I don't really have to shop there, but its so darn cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland