Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 07:06 AM

11 posts, read 41,513 times

Advertisements

Black Male, 35, I have lived in Baltimore, DC, Michigan - city and suburbs, so being in a safe area close to "shady" spots don't bother me at all. I care about crime but in my years unless you are caught up in the life you are normally okay.

Moving to the bay area, looking at Oakland, Jack London Square. (The Bond) It seems like a good fit, I can still get around the Bay, it is seems hop the ferry to San Fran on weekends. I love San Fran, but not enough to pay the high costs, Oakland still high but not as bad.

Any thoughts on Jack London Square, the info is all over the map from good lively area to ghost town. Also any other similar areas in Oakland that are worth it, I prefer loft type apartments, but could just as easily go with a townhouse with a deck. I also thought about going north from San Fran but not as far up as San Rafael, it just seems Oakland is the better fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 09:21 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Jack London Square is a booming area as far as housing development. Especially the type your looking for(lofts). Its safe enough-standard street smarts apply though. As far as being lively, it has its moments, but for the most part its not as active as Id like it to be yet.

Another part of town you might want to consider is Uptown. Its a fast emerging arts and entertainment district that also has tons of new housing and is steps from BART.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Either Jack London or Uptown would be fine. Also, a number of other good hoods in Oakland, close to transit, charming, restos, everything one would want. Check out some of the other threads here on the subject, there is lots of good info.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
i would also check out Old Oakland .i like the the feel of the area it seems more lively than the jack london residential area,it is a few blocks to bart and dining includes levende east,B,le cheval ,Tamarindo Antojeria, for bars there is the air bar , the trappists and a sports kind of bar but i forgot the name.also check out the area near the essex condo i think it's called the gold coast area. it's on the lake fairly close to whole foods. ***don't forget jack london square is between the train track and the freeway.it can be very loud.i"m a light sleeper and can't live there but it's no problem for others

Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
i would also check out Old Oakland .i like the the feel of the area it seems more lively than the jack london residential area,it is a few blocks to bart and dining includes levende east,B,le cheval ,Tamarindo Antojeria, for bars there is the air bar , the trappists and a sports kind of bar but i forgot the name.also check out the area near the essex condo i think it's called the gold coast area. it's on the lake fairly close to whole foods. ***don't forget jack london square is between the train track and the freeway.it can be very loud.i"m a light sleeper and can't live there but it's no problem for others
True, there are lots of good neighborhoods to choose from right in downtown.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:25 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,381 times
It's also worth noting that Oakland's downtown area (of which Old Oakland, JLS, Uptown, and the Gold Coast/Lakeside Apartments area are all officially part) isn't all that big---so if you live in Jack London or Uptown, you can walk to things in Old Oakland or on the lake, and vice versa.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:18 PM

11 posts, read 41,513 times
Default Thanks for Feedback

Thanks for the great feedback, just what I was looking for. I like the city Noise, from all my nights in NYC and Philly but thanks for the heads up on the train.

I will check out the other areas as well, since I am trying to narrow down a short list by mid July fly out and settle on a place in one trip.

BmoreRico

Old 06-28-2009, 04:30 PM

46 posts, read 143,353 times
If you like loft style places, you may want to check out Emeryville. It's a great city, just in between Oakland and Berkeley. Also, the Temescal area in Oakland my be a good fit for you.

I do like Jack London Square and it is lively when an event is happening, but I've noticed a lot of retail places for vacant.

Good Luck!
Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland