Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:11 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times

Advertisements

I've only had a couple of encounters with bears, several times on back packing trips (no cooler) at high altitude in national parks so we hung our food from a tree when possible and when above the tree line we separated it into several smaller caches (so that we might not loose all the food) and "buried" them under a good pile of rock. Then we left our scent all around those caches. We did hear and see a bear but it left our food alone. Several other trips were in national forest and I had 3 big dogs with me who barked up a storm and luckily the bears decided to leave with a confrontation.

I have also seen a momma bear bring her 3 cubs right into a camping area that was at a crossroads of several very popular back packing trails. It was dinner time and there were about a dozen multiperson camps set up and most everyone was cooking. She headed for the nearest pot of food and simply knocked it off the camp stove and the stew was strewn across the dirt and cooled quickly. Even though many of us were up and banging pots and pans and hollering at her she ignored us and brought the cubs over to eat. Perhaps the fact that it was late summer and they were not super hungry was the reason she left after just that one theft and left the rest of us alone.

Best wishes for bear free adventures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 05:44 PM

358 posts, read 1,037,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Make sure that you pee before it gets dark...because once the bears show up the bathroom becomes a no-go.

Man, I didn't even think about going to the bathroom at night. If I can't get up to go until it gets light again, then how am I supposed to get my drink on during our nighttime campfire??? LOL

Old 06-28-2009, 06:15 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeixeGato View Post
Man, I didn't even think about going to the bathroom at night. If I can't get up to go until it gets light again, then how am I supposed to get my drink on during our nighttime campfire??? LOL
Lol...This is just one of my long list of irritants with the whole camping thing..(I only do it for the kids/husband). I try to stick with vodka or perhaps wine..beer's definitely not a great idea for this reason!

I just saw a funny article...http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/06/28/national/a164506D29.DTL&tsp=1 (broken link)

Bears really go for sweets over healthy stuff!

Last edited by clongirl; 06-28-2009 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: wanted to add a link

Old 06-30-2009, 01:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Some ones I've been to:
- Mt. Diablo State Park
- Henry Coe State Park
- Big Basin State Park
- Portola State Park
- Butano State Park
- Samuel P. Taylor State Park
- Hendy Woods State Park

I've also seen during day hikes at various County / Regional Parks, camp grounds.

Bottom line, there are many places to car camp in the Bay Area proper, let alone going further afield.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:25 PM

95 posts, read 252,007 times
Default Bears...

Based on my experience in Grizzly and Black bear country , I'd suggest the following: 1) Learn to not have a cooler or fresh food. I use freeze dried and granola type bars. This avoids odors. You may not feel as satisfied eating, but it is camping. 2) Cook and eat somewhere other than your campsite. Go to a designated picnic area - eat there. Clean up, go back to camp. 3) Do not sleep in the clothing you cooked, or ate in. Keep the dirty clothes in a well sealed duffel, maybe in the car. Basically don't leave any scent of food on you. 4) Don't wear deodorants or perfumes. Again - no scents. 5) Fear not, your black/brown bears aren't as mean as Grizzly so relax. You likely won't have one enter the tent and maul you. Sleep well. Remember the bear is out for the evening looking for tasty left-overs. 6) They're not looking for a confrontation, so don't give them one. 7) Keep your campsite clean; clear out trash from others. If a bear comes by, you want it walking through your area going somewhere else. Don't give it a reason to stay in your campsite. 8) Finally, the bear is not your enemy, it's just a neighbor. Enjoy. If one ruins your weekend, so what. You have a great story and a well fed bear.

May the Force be with you

Old 07-02-2009, 01:57 PM

9) Weatherby.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:01 PM

60 posts, read 350,681 times
Whoa! Glad I finally remembered to check my post. LOL

Peixegoto~I'm glad you asked your questions regarding bears! I didn't realize they were an issue in this area. No going camping for us where bears are concerned! Not with little kids, especially. I would fear bears smelling a lil one's sticky fingers that didn't get cleaned enough, and the bear getting a little too curious...

WBClark~ Tahoe sounds wonderful, but driving that far with a toddler would be a little too much for him... In a few years, we'll be there!

We went ahead and made reservations at Bodega Bay... We ran into our son's teacher, and she really liked it there, and it's available for the weekend we're going.

BayAreaHillbilly~Are those places you listed your preferred camping sites? Which did you like the best? Did you have any issues with mosquitos/bugs at Big Basin? I heard they like it there...

Old 07-09-2009, 06:59 PM

Yes, I've had issues with skeeters at Big Basin, but only at one of the trail camps (I think it was Sunset Camp - IIRC) in a mid June time frame. I don't recall serious issues elsewhere but as always it's good to be prepared when camping in anywhere heavily wooded. The parks that have a more arid environment, from that list, are:
- Mt. Diablo State Park
- Henry Coe State Park

The rest are essentially located in Redwood forests.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 PM

193 posts, read 436,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
9) Weatherby.
Weatherby will definitely do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_s View Post
We went ahead and made reservations at Bodega Bay... We ran into our son's teacher, and she really liked it there, and it's available for the weekend we're going.
I think you made a great choice and I hope you have fun there. Be sure to do some hiking across the dunes and down to the beach. I would recommend packing some warm clothing as the nights can get chilly, even in the summer.

Bodega Bay is one of my favorite costal areas in the Bay Area and I will certainly miss it when I move.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:13 AM

60 posts, read 350,681 times
Is there a spot(s) in Bodega's campground that we should try to get? Can we even choose, or are we assigned when we arrive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland