Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:55 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,640,769 times

Advertisements

I have never been to SF in my life and I'm finally going on July 11th. I'm going to stay w/ family for a week in Menlo Park. This thread post is real simple....all I am looking for is a list of maybe 5 places to go in SF metro that are worth seeing. I'm really excited to to go and I would love to see some enthaustism that suggests that SF is a great place to visit....

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 10:51 PM

33 posts, read 147,537 times
Smile Suggestions

Well, that would depend on what your interests are, so many things to do...but I'll give it a shot anyways:

1. MH de Young Memorial museum in the Presidio, then Chrissy Field Park for view of SF.
2. Museum of natural history & art (golden gate park, Haight/Asbury district nearby)
3. Museum of modern art (downtown)
4. Muir Woods (stop at the viewing spot on the north side of the bridge)
5. a coffee house in the Mission district (new bohemian district) lunch: have a burrito in one of the taquerias

alternates:
1. San Francisco Zoo, Ocean Beach (allow several hours)
2. Fisherman's Wharf, very touristy and crowded. If you have a car, be prepared for a long search for parking.
3. Chinatown for lunch (again, don't expect to find a parking spot).

Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Menlo is close to everything most relevant in SF region, aside from usual tourist traps of City of SF

Stanford campus, esp engineering school: Intellectual birthplace of Silicon Valley

Office parks of major venture capitalists on Sand Hill Rd (esp 2750 and 3000) in MenloPk; Google campus in Mtn View; Apple campus in Cupertino...a sample of the economic engines/epicenters of the SF region (not unlike visiting 85 Broad, 9 W57, and 767 5th Ave in Manhattan)

Mountain Home Rd in Woodside...many major tech titans live in estates on/off this road; scenic views of Woodside mtns and about 10 mins drive from Sand Hill Rd offices

280 fwy btwn Menlo and SF: perhaps most scenic, fastest urban fwy in world

In SF, Ferry Bldg Mktplace...a foodie paradise; Taylors for some of best burgers in region; Slanted Door for some of best cocktails in region

Broadway and Lyon in SF's Pacific Hts...great views of GGB and Presidio; many of most costly homes in SF are in surrounding blocks (many of residents work in Menlo on Sand Hill Rd or deeper in SV in Mtn View or Cupertino, etc)

Prepare for microclimates of region...on a given day in July, Menlo will likely be 80F and sunny while City of SF may be 60-65F and foggy in AM and late PM w/chilly winds off Ocean/Bay...but will be pleasantly surprised by relative lack of humidity/insects of CA vs Eastern US

Old 07-01-2009, 12:02 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Stanford campus, esp engineering school...Office parks of major venture capitalists on Sand Hill Rd (esp 2750 and 3000) in MenloPk; Google campus in Mtn View; Apple campus in Cupertino...
Yeh, for sure, visit office parks . They are SO interesting

But if you're not impressed with the titans of high tech and since you're a first time visitor, visit the usual tourist places. Ride a cable car, visit Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, take a bay cruise, go to Golden Gate Park, etc. Best and Worst San Francisco Experiences including Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf

You can travel between Menlo Park and SF on Caltrain caltrain.com - home if you don't want to drive. Parking in SF is difficult and/or expensive. Public transit in SF is good and will take you everywhere.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:17 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
The Embarcadero / Pier 39 / Fisherman's Wharf (the first a generally cool place the second two classic must do tourist traps)
Ride a cable car from the Fisherman's Wharf area to Union Square
From there, take the Muni Metro to either the Castro, the Mission or both (for "alternative" vibe)
Hang out on Haight
Stroll around North Beach
Go to Golden Gate Park
Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge then back
Take a dip and play pickup volleyball at Crissy Field Beach
Party in "The Triangle" near Fillmore and Greenwich (not pronounced the way they do in the UK)
Get real Asian food on Clement

Old 07-01-2009, 04:23 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
I enjoyed San Francisco so much, I decided to move there for two years.

1. Ride the Cable car from Powell Station to G. Square (It's a different experience riding it day or night).

2. Have dinner at R & G Lounge in Chinatown (great authentic Chinese food).

3. Have dim sum for lunch at Great Eastern in Chinatown (only come here for dim sum, noon is the best time)

4. Walk to Coit Tower in Telegraph Hill at night (very romantic with great views in a residential area of San Francisco).

5. Visit Twin Peaks, day or night for the best 360 degree view of San Francisco.

6. Ride bikes across the Golden Gate Bridge.

7. Go to a wine bar in the Marina District.

8. If you are open-minded and enjoy a good laugh, make reservations at Asia SF, request good bar seats around 7:30 to 8:00 pm...plan to stay until 10:30 pm. The food is pretty good, the drinks are great, but it's something any person visiting San Francisco should do...it fits the stereotype of the city so well.

9. Jog or walk from the Panhandle through Golden Gate Park to Ocean Beach and take the MUNI back on Fulton Street.

10. Have an illy cappuccino in North Beach (Little Italy).

Enjoy your trip!!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:11 PM

17 posts, read 48,529 times
I'm visiting SF soon and have never been. What is a good microbrew in the area? Is there a park/forest nearby to see the giant redwoods?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer View Post
I'm visiting SF soon and have never been. What is a good microbrew in the area? Is there a park/forest nearby to see the giant redwoods?
Muir Woods

Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 AM

52 posts, read 180,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer View Post
How about Big Basin Redwood forest. I been to Muir and BB but BB has more giant trees compared to Muir woods.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:14 PM

5 posts, read 15,236 times
hey here's a really good website on stuff in san fran. hope it helps! [url=http://www.townme.com/san-francisco-ca]San Francisco, CA - restaurants, schools, hospitals, city data, wikis and more[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland