Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 PM

49 posts, read 253,547 times

Advertisements

I'm applying for a job in Oakland and from what I've been reading, not sure I want to live there. Are there any other places for middle aged singles that I should be looking at for safe, walkable housing? I don't mind staying around the Oakland area, just don't want an awful commute and have no idea what going across the Bay Bridge in the morning to Oakland would be like. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,280 times
public transit is a good choice from San francisco to oakland.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:55 AM

323 posts, read 697,456 times
Why don't you want to live in Oakland?
I strongly suggest that you visit before you make the decision to take the commute. I feel there really is no reason to live in SF if you work in Oakland.
Go to Lake Merritt and see for yourself. Just a suggestion....

Old 07-02-2009, 07:00 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
no problem the commute is not bad, but i dont know any other combo to maximize crime and high rent this good. fyi people bart that commute they dont drive it.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-02-2009 at 07:48 AM..

Old 07-02-2009, 11:24 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
i agree with daepro- the dangerous parts of oakland are in east and west oakland not downtown .downtown oakland is much safer than downtown san francisco which includes the tenderloin and market street.downtown sf has a lot more homicides than downtown oakland.if you disagree please site your source.i can't wait to prove you wrong.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM

655 posts, read 1,983,706 times
I'd look in the Grand Lake, Lakeshore, and Adams Point areas in Oakland, where there are a significant number of middle-aged singles and lots of smaller relatively affordable apartments for rent if you want to live alone. Your commute will be practically walkable (or a very quick bus ride in the rainy season) and your rent will be a fraction of what you'd pay in SF. Uptown and Jack London Square are also possibilities, depending on what you're looking for in an apartment/neighborhood. (Uptown is the emerging arts district and still very much a work in progress, but full of interesting places and one of the few areas of Oakland that has SF-style "full service" apartment complexes; JLS has lots of condos and lofts with a cluster of dining and entertainment at the square itself.) All of these areas are relatively safe---which isn't to say they're crime-free, but if you keep your wits about you, you'll be fine.

If you want to live in SF simply for the experience of living there, the BART commute is quick (20 minutes, give or take) and easy---but remember that your commute alone will cost several hundred bucks a month, and SF rents will be higher to boot. I generally think it makes sense to live on the side of the bay where you work, and spend the money you save on commuting on fun trips to the other side of the bay.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:59 AM

227 posts, read 538,515 times
There are a few folks at my job who live in SF and work in Oakland, but the majority live in Oakland, the outlying burbs (Albany, Berkeley, El Cerrito, Walnut Creek, Concord, Pleasanton) and few in the deep edges (Antioch, Pittsburg, Tracy, Stockton).

One of the best advantages of working in Oakland is being able to have a short commute by living here (AC Transit, BART, biking, walking, or even driving is totally doable). There such a diversity of housing on Oakland, I think it's really hard to not find a neighborhood you wouldn't enjoy. The key to finding one is to find a person familiar with Oakland to drive you around from North to South, West to East to get a better feel of the city's diversity of housing and neighborhoods. Even the worst areas in Oakland are not as bad as the slums, projects, and row houses I've seen in older cities like Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, or Phili.

And I do think the adjacent East Bay cities near Oakland (or at least on the other side of the tunnel) will usually satisfy folks who are looking for other things like good test scores or a less urban environment.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:19 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindasuedallas View Post
I'm applying for a job in Oakland and from what I've been reading, not sure I want to live there. Are there any other places for middle aged singles that I should be looking at for safe, walkable housing? I don't mind staying around the Oakland area, just don't want an awful commute and have no idea what going across the Bay Bridge in the morning to Oakland would be like. Thanks.
Like others have said, unless you're one of those people who just must live in SF, I would look for a neighborhood in Oakland or nearby suburb. Oakland has a lot of scary areas, but there are definitely some nice neighborhoods as well. In many ways, Oakland can provide a nice urban experience without the extreme congestion of San Francisco.

Berkeley, although technically a suburb, is really more of an urban area as well, and has lots of cultural offerings because of UC Berkeley. You can easily take BART to downtown Oakland from Berkeley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland