Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 PM

32 posts, read 112,987 times

Advertisements

Dublin is really far from the City about an hour and not many black people there as I recall. I lived there for a few years, very, very suburbia with lots of chain restaurants, not much to do but go to the movies. I think Oakland and Berkeley would be your best bet. Pockets of Oakland like Montclair, Rockridge have great schools that I think you would be happy with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,282,181 times
I think you have to get the east coast perception out of your mind, you're not going to find anything like what they have back east out here. You can find well populated Black suburbs with many upper middle class Blacks back east especially in the Maryland/DC area. It's just not like that out here. Dublins 10% black population comes from their Federal Prison located there. They count inmates as residents of whatever city the prison is located in.

Have you checked out El Cerrito, Berkeley, Alameda, Pinole, Albany etc

Old 07-22-2009, 04:02 PM

37,091 posts, read 42,084,113 times
Welcome to the Tri-Valley! Super family friendly and your kids will make lots of friends once school starts. Take advantage of BART for activities in SF and elsewhere.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:12 PM

31 posts, read 109,981 times
Yeah I would agree Dublin is kinda far for someone who wants to be closse to the city, my co-worker lives in Daly City and she has two kids but she's also married so not sure if it's expensive there but nice to be able to take Bart or drive without any bridges. across the bay there are some nice areas in Oakland as well as Alemeda and Hayward, more space for yard and things. Berkeley's nice if you don't mind the whole college town vibe also, I feel most areas out here are pretty diverse in my opinion probably good to check stats on certain areas to get a good idea I guess.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 25,931 times
hayward- laughable.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:23 PM

358 posts, read 1,035,843 times
I am a black man in his late 30s who grew up in Upper Marlboro MD and have been out here for 5 1/2 years now. I understand your desire to find a community with a noticeable black population One thing you should realize though, when people talk about diversity out here, it is a much more all-inclusive term. In the DC area, generally the term diversity refers primarily to the number of black people relative to the number of white people. Out here, it seems that it goes beyond just black vs. white (at least in my experience). It also goes beyond ethnicity (i.e. diversity in what people describe as a "family unit", in what people do for a living, in how they spend their free time, where people are originally from, etc).

Also, for someone who would love to spend many weekends in SF, I would think that Dublin is really far out for you. What fun is it living somewhere only to have to drive 45-60 mins or take an hour subway ride to get to the place where you want to spend your free time? I have that issue here in Sonoma. We enjoy spending most of our free time in the East Bay/SF and the drive back and forth gets to be REALLY tiring. We are looking to relocate closer to SF as a result.

I would consider looking into certain sections of Oakland (yes, it has some nice sections), Berkeley, El Cerrito, Albany, Alameda, and San Leandro. While the black population might not be 10% in all of those areas, your kids will definitely be able to find others who "look like them" nearby. I often find that when I go to a street festival of some sort, there tends to be people from all over and of all different ethnicities in attendance, regardless of the neighborhood. So there will be plenty of opportunities for your kids to see a broad spectrum of people.

I'm not saying that all parts of the Bay Area are populated with loads of people who embrace and seek out a diverse setting, but there are enough to make your decision a difficult one (in terms of narrowing down your choices).

Drop me a PM if you want to talk in more detail about my experiences out here. I'd be happy to share my insight as a fellow African American male from the East Coast who has a kid and wants to live in the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland