Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:41 PM

6 posts, read 11,883 times

Advertisements

Im debating whether to move back to Portland or take that leap to SF (Bay Area)...please Help.....Iv'e been reading most of these post for a while and see a lot of them about moving to SF. I am not finding what I am looking for so I thought I would write my own and maybe get some better answears.

The things I would like to see where I lived:
Lots of water, diversity, shops, resturaunts and that city vibe you cant get in the burbs (gotta have that city vibe)... Very good transportation and neighborly place that is kid friendly with good parks.

Dont like. High costs, boredom and crime (I can deal with pety crime).

In a nutshell I am looking for a place like Portland, OR (downtown, pearl district) in SF. Somewhere that has a lot of good resturaunts, shops, parks and tolerable crime, also something decent in price. By decent in price Im thinking 400K - 600K or equivelant in lease payment. I use to live in Portland, OR (pearl district) and currently live in Vegas. I loved portland because it was everything I wanted in a city but rained too much. I like the nightlife in Vegas but its hard to meet good freinds... Their freindly but not very neighborly if that makes since (my neighbors avoid eye contact with me and eachother...). My wife is a RN, dont know where hospitals are at or how good that profession is there. I work in the Audio Visual feild 5 years now and have heard I could do pretty good over there. I need a place that doesnt have a lot of crime because I have a son who will be starting school soon. I really want to live in the city but more want that city feel. I want to be able to go downstairs or outside my house and be within walking distance, trolley or what have you to everything I need. If you have ever lived in Portland (downtown, pearl district area) you know exactly what im talking about.

I am really looking for a spot comparable to Portland, OR... I know there isnt a spot that has everything i want within my price range but im sure theres a place in range. I love to see and hear people outside having a good time, kids playing, traffic, horns, sirens and all that city goodness... Im starting to miss the feel and smell of the city. I dont know if im just dreaming or if this place really exsist in Frisco or if I should just move back to Portland. I really dont wanna be in the BURBS OF FRISCO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 9,484 times
Where was it that you lived in Portland? Oh, that's right, the "pearl district." Sorry, it didn't sink in the first dozen times you said it. And you should definitely move to "Frisco," and refer to it as such at all times.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:16 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,958,661 times
I don't think San Francisco will suit you.

First, you cannot afford it by your requirements. If you're are looking to rent a house in the City, you'd probably be looking at 2500k a month, not 400$.

Second, unfortunately children do not have the freedom to play in the streets here..they'd get run over in an instant. Also, I wouldn't say that San Francisco is at all child friendly. Step into a restaurant with a child and the single, hip yuppies will give you the evil eye and tsk tsks for daring to trespass in their space.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:00 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,935,581 times
$400k - $600K can be done in the Bay Area but not in San Francisco. I'm not sure why you stated "pearl district" so many times. It looks like you either think we're incredibly forgetful (read: stupid), you're incredibly forgetful yourself and thus forgot what you previously typed or that you're possibly bragging. Neither of those things show up as likeable qualities.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:26 PM

9 posts, read 147,534 times
For what it's worth, this is what I interpreted from the OP's post:

I am really looking for a spot comparable to Portland, OR...I love to see and hear people outside having a good time, kids playing, traffic, horns, sirens and all that city goodness...

Any comparable cities?

Old 07-17-2009, 03:31 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,042,014 times
San Francisco would be a good move for you. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:31 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,958,661 times
Oops, sorry I misread your post..house that cost 400-600k (not rent 400-600$!). Sorry, my advice was not entirely accurate.

But..400-600K on a house is still not that doable either, in San Francisco. It's still a young urban hipster sort of place rather than a family kind of place imo. You won't find this (in your price range) in the "burbs of Frisco" (which I would consider the Richmond district or Sunset districts).

Also, jobs are only to be found for the most fortunate of people. (I'm sure however, that Oregon's unemployment rate isn't much better either, though). So whatever you decide..don't come over w/o a job lined up prior.

For all of your needs, Noe Valley would be good..but think 1 million+ for a house to purchase. It's THE place for parents/families with money.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:29 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,410,038 times
Wouldn't recommend it... Probably out of your price range. I am doing it for now but we are *renting* a small place and my gf is still finishing her degree... Probably when she is done we are out. But it is a cool city to live in... family wise? ehh...if you are very wealthy, sure. 20's and 30's dinks or single... fun city, one of the best.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,242,078 times
Frisco, TX is probably more appropriate for you.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:06 PM

70 posts, read 190,567 times
SF sounds like a pretty good match in terms of city life. It's definitely comparable to PDX (love PDX!)There are a lot of top notch hospitals and healthcare in the Bay Area too, so that's good for your wife. A usual though, affordability is a big issue, so you just have scout around and see if you can find a living situation you can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland