Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times

Advertisements

I don't know specifically about SF's high society, other than what I see in the Nob Hill Gazette, but from my experience working with the same sort of crowd in DC I wouldn't say that most of these people necessariy felel more important or higher up than people with less money; some do, I'm sure, but it's not a given. The US, and San Francisco certainly, has a strong tradition of philanthropy, and the traditional socialite scene is closely integrated with raising money for charities. The Bay Area is a powerhouse when it comes to charitable fundraising. Older people (although I would hardly classify those in their 40s as "elderly") are certainly involved and attend these sorts of functions, but younger people participate as well (although some causes seem to be more fashionable with a younger crowd than others) I've also worked in smaller towns, and believe me, every city or town has its high society set, even though the price tag for admission is set higher in cities like San Francisco than it is in the typical smaller town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 11:27 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,159,666 times
SF region is different from most cities, as most of the big money is new, fairly smart and often more socially introverted engineers or financiers who don't play well with others....and lives/works 35 mis S of SF in SV

Often run into more of the big money SV crowd down in LA (not SF) on wkends or dining at a good restaurant in SF on wkdays or dining at nondescript places in PA/MP

But most aren't fans of surviving rubber chicken dinners w/cheap wines or lame cocktails when one can easily write a check for any cause of interest and can get better grub elsewhere with more interesting dining companions from tech or financial industry

Not unlike LA where many of the wealthiest locally-based guys (financiers) avoid the entertainment industry crowd socially and prefer to live quietly in Brentwood/Palisades/BH and socialize privately with people in their own industry

Old 07-18-2009, 06:39 PM

8 posts, read 34,998 times
SF has a social scene, but it is very quiet compared to New York or LA's scene.

New York has the biggest, most elite ($$$) and diverse (i.e. fashion, old-money) social scene and in Los Angeles, new money Hollywood seems to dominate the social scene.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:54 PM

241 posts, read 939,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Not unlike LA where many of the wealthiest locally-based guys (financiers) avoid the entertainment industry crowd socially and prefer to live quietly in Brentwood/Palisades/BH and socialize privately with people in their own industry
sort of interesting that you say this. Sure? Would have thought that the more higher or top level people of the entertainment industry would have some connection with those financiers and many other people not in entertainment. They pretty much really are not alike also.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
why "please spare me"???
what assumptions?
you work for a TV producer?
interesting
your style of writing is very much like many i have known from memphis
btw its
I work for
not
I'm work for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland