Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 AM

31 posts, read 110,074 times

Advertisements

So I've been living here in SF for about 5 years. I went to school for Interior Design and just don't see myself getting into it. I love it but I feel like I have forgotten so much so I'm thinking of going back to my master's. I really have been thinking about Teaching because I love kids honestly my only hesitation is one will I make a decent income (only making 35K now with sales is tough) and also I would like to hear from other teachers about how it is in the city.

I know the reason why I hesitate is because I feel this is a job where you really have to put your full self in you can't just put in small effort like most jobs. I'm honestly scared of the commitment because deep down I've always wanted to have my own business and travel. This is why it would be great to be a teacher with the traveling part but most likely not easy to start a business.

So I wanted to check with other's about the financial part I really want to make an average living as I'm tired of scraping by doing something I don't care about for little. How are the schools here do you actually feel like your making a difference? I didn't grow up here so I'm not very familiar with how the schools are I assume 3rd or 4th grade should be okay and anyone know how it will be in next two years by the time I get out of school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 12:33 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Can it be rewarding? Yes. Is it even remotely financially ideal? Hell no.....

Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Get you PHD and become a college professor otherwise you will struggle.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 147,617 times
Agree with City Boy:

The only profession funded less than public education is...what Medi-Cal ?

To the best of my knowledge - the State of Connecticut pays teachers what they are worth.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,494 times
You should Google search teacher blogs to see all the negatives of teaching. Type in things like "I hate teaching" “I want to quit teaching" "the pros and cons of teaching" and you will see that just liking kids and wanting a steady paycheck is NOT enough to keep people in the daunting profession of teaching. Any public service type job is very stressful having to deal with the public and getting blamed for all of societies pit falls. Teachers are being laid off by the handfuls and the ones still with a job are getting their income cut back. Every few years you are fighting for you job and arguing wages and combating cut backs. It's very stressful in that respect aside from all the other stresses of the actual job. I would steer all away from the teaching profession that aren't martyr types. It's like saying to someone you should be a librarian because you like books, oh you should be a teacher because you like kids it does not really connect that much to the actual job.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:22 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
No

Old 07-22-2009, 12:58 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Get you PHD and become a college professor otherwise you will struggle.
This is no guarantee either, unless you go to a top 15 or so grad program in your field and continually publish good work. Even then, it is going to be hard to get placement in a city you want to be in. I.E. in the bay area there are phd's from Berkeley, Stanford, Michigan etc. teaching at community colleges. My gf is taking 3 classes and that is where they had their degrees from. While she is probably going to have a nice professor, kind of troubling for the professors and you have to think about their probable debt loads. I know other major cities also have extreme competition and a lot of overqualified people teaching lackluster jobs. This is one of the things that discouraged me from ever wanting to do it, as I place my lifestyle, location and happiness above possibly helping out some people by teaching.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:08 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
This is no guarantee either, unless you go to a top 15 or so grad program in your field and continually publish good work. Even then, it is going to be hard to get placement in a city you want to be in. I.E. in the bay area there are phd's from Berkeley, Stanford, Michigan etc. teaching at community colleges. My gf is taking 3 classes and that is where they had their degrees from. While she is probably going to have a nice professor, kind of troubling for the professors and you have to think about their probable debt loads. I know other major cities also have extreme competition and a lot of overqualified people teaching lackluster jobs. This is one of the things that discouraged me from ever wanting to do it, as I place my lifestyle, location and happiness above possibly helping out some people by teaching.
The PhD's teaching at community colleges do that part time. I'm willing to bet they also work at 4 year colleges also. I also had some Berkeley educated and teaching professors that taught at the JC I transferred from.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:01 PM

31 posts, read 110,074 times
Well I'm going to listen in at USF tonight about this program I'm not jumping into anything for sure as I have always been more interested in creative field I think the economy is making me want to find something else that I can do that I would enjoy. I will definately think about it would be nice to hear from someone who teaches in the city. Iguess my fear would be that if I did it I would end up having to teach outside the city to even be able to be stable, I am good with kids but I know what you guys are saying, I feel if I was really into this with all my heart I guess I wouldn't be questioning it I tend to jump into things when I'm ready so if it's really expected to still be bad field financially inthe next few years then I may look into something else that fits more of my creative side. We'll see.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:44 PM

9 posts, read 43,742 times
I teach in Texas. I am very comfortable with what I make as a teacher, but it really depends on the district you work in. I'm going on my 4th year. I enjoy it more than a lot of my friends and co-workers, plus all the time off is great. I only work about 180 days a year. If I needed to I could work during the time off, but I don't need to. I have 2 small children at home. It's ideal for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland