U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2009, 11:21 PM
 
11 posts, read 76,161 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

My husband, small son and I are moving to San Mateo shortly. We already own a home so we are planning to rent.

I am most interested in knowing the "good areas"--good neighbors, good schools, safe, etc--to live. Also, what are the main areas to avoid?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Amy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2009, 03:32 AM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,688 posts, read 27,584,137 times
Reputation: 3610
San Mateo Park is best for a family. Beresford Park is very nice too. In general, west of El Camino Real is better, but east can be good as well. Hayward Park is the most notable eastern neighborhood. You could also consider Belmont, which is hilly and woodsy, and Burlingame, which is a bit more, shall we say, female-oriented.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,524 posts, read 20,026,769 times
Reputation: 20199
You might want to mention your budget and what type of schools you're looking for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 11:46 AM
 
11 posts, read 76,161 times
Reputation: 13
budget= 3500
schools= pre-school and elementary

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
256 posts, read 1,355,309 times
Reputation: 93
San Mateo Village is Nice, West San Mateo by hillsdale is nice.... The oonly kind of iffy areas are downtown, Los Prados, and shoreview, and maybe along delaware
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2009, 03:03 PM
 
2,957 posts, read 6,075,166 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebay View Post
San Mateo Village is Nice, West San Mateo by hillsdale is nice.... The oonly kind of iffy areas are downtown, Los Prados, and shoreview, and maybe along delaware
You're kind of leaving out the shadiest areas of all. North Shoreview (separate from Shoreview, north of 3rd) and North Central are the neighborhoods to avoid. North Central is basically everything between 5th Ave, Peninsula Ave, 101 and San Mateo Drive (I'm including Downtown within these boundaries). Delaware is included in there, but Delaware south of 5th is actually pretty decent. Also, within North Central some places closer to Peninsula Ave are cool like Woodlake and most of what lies between San Mateo Drive and El Camino Real.

Depending on your budget, some other nicer parts are Laurie Meadows, Hayward Park, Sunnybrae, Fiesta Gardens, Bridgepointe/Mariners Island, and as already stated West San Mateo, but I'd extend that to include everything west of El Camino. Those neighborhoods might include Sugarloaf, San Mateo Park, Baywood, Beresford, South San Mateo, and the area between CSM and Hillsborough (near the Crystal Springs Village shopping center).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2009, 02:47 PM
 
12,823 posts, read 22,410,055 times
Reputation: 10980
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
You're kind of leaving out the shadiest areas of all. North Shoreview (separate from Shoreview, north of 3rd) and North Central are the neighborhoods to avoid. North Central is basically everything between 5th Ave, Peninsula Ave, 101 and San Mateo Drive (I'm including Downtown within these boundaries). Delaware is included in there, but Delaware south of 5th is actually pretty decent. Also, within North Central some places closer to Peninsula Ave are cool like Woodlake and most of what lies between San Mateo Drive and El Camino Real.

Depending on your budget, some other nicer parts are Laurie Meadows, Hayward Park, Sunnybrae, Fiesta Gardens, Bridgepointe/Mariners Island, and as already stated West San Mateo, but I'd extend that to include everything west of El Camino. Those neighborhoods might include Sugarloaf, San Mateo Park, Baywood, Beresford, South San Mateo, and the area between CSM and Hillsborough (near the Crystal Springs Village shopping center).
Perfect analysis.

Personal anecdote - my lone "violent" crime issue was a 1 x 1 confrontation with a Shoreview Crip when I lived in the main south of 3rd Shoreview hood, when I was single and not very wealthy. It turned out OK, in that no gunfire was exchanged (although before running away the punk put a rock through my bedroom window). The "issue" was, I caught the scum trying to steal my bike. He did not expect to have an AK wielding tenant. I do have to say, it took b__ls to throw that rock. He probably figured I would not shoot someone in the back. He was right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2009, 07:14 PM
 
2,957 posts, read 6,075,166 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Perfect analysis.

Personal anecdote - my lone "violent" crime issue was a 1 x 1 confrontation with a Shoreview Crip when I lived in the main south of 3rd Shoreview hood, when I was single and not very wealthy. It turned out OK, in that no gunfire was exchanged (although before running away the punk put a rock through my bedroom window). The "issue" was, I caught the scum trying to steal my bike. He did not expect to have an AK wielding tenant. I do have to say, it took b__ls to throw that rock. He probably figured I would not shoot someone in the back. He was right.
Lol nice! That right there is a perfect example of why I am in favor of law abiding citizens having the right to own guns. Glad you handled that situation!

But yeah, overall Shoreview isn't a bad neighborhood. Its livable, its just that its one of the less desirable neighborhoods in San Mateo. Especially now I believe the SVC's are much less active than they used to be. Before (90's) they didn't seem to play with guns too much but they did love to fight a lot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 03:53 AM
 
Location: San Mateo
6 posts, read 40,718 times
Reputation: 25
With Los Prados do you mean "Los prados St"??
I just moved from spain to San Mateo and I live near Los Prados st.

Well..that´s not the perfect neighbourhood for a family ( I´m a student ) but I don´t think that´s bad neighbourhood.

Personally, I really love Foster City... It´s like the place where I would like to live when I have my own family.



pd. My first post!!!

Last edited by newonsf; 08-16-2009 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: pd
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 04:16 PM
 
1 posts, read 12,973 times
Reputation: 10
I live in North Central. It's a mixed neighborhood with owners and renters. I'm a professional and so is my husband. Our neighbors are for the most part professionals who make a good living. There are a few apartments and a couple of rental houses that could use some improvements. Overall, it's a great neighborhood. It's a very short walk downtown. We try to keep our streets clean by sweeping and tending to our gardens. I wouldn't classify my neighborhood as one to avoid. It's young! It's vibrant! It's great for families. And, we have many retired folks who also are great neighbors! I don't know much about the schools. I know there is a great Mandarin Immersion program, and it's also close to St. Matthew and St. Catherine Catholic Schools located in San Mateo and Burlingame, respectively.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top