Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 03:06 PM

28 posts, read 75,536 times

Advertisements

My DH is considering a job in SF, eastern part of downtown. Looks like Mission district on Mapquest. We have one child left at home almost 10 yrs old. Schools are most important. We love SF, but we are not sure what would be the best area to live. My DH does not mind commuting. I have read some great information here, but would love to hear all the latest. I have read about ferrying in, BART, trains. What are peoples' experiences with these? I have read great things about Walnut Creek, Alameda. Someone else mentioned north of SF. Then I heard about Belmont and San Carlos to the south. It is scary moving across the country. Here is what we are looking for. Thanks so much.

1. Rent (first year or so) $3000-ish I guess.
2. Good schools (all the way up preferably)
3. Low crime
4. No preference as far as urban/suburban
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 03:49 PM

3,721 posts, read 14,694,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastxgirl View Post
My DH is considering a job in SF, eastern part of downtown. Looks like Mission district on Mapquest. We have one child left at home almost 10 yrs old. Schools are most important. We love SF, but we are not sure what would be the best area to live. My DH does not mind commuting. I have read some great information here, but would love to hear all the latest. I have read about ferrying in, BART, trains. What are peoples' experiences with these? I have read great things about Walnut Creek, Alameda. Someone else mentioned north of SF. Then I heard about Belmont and San Carlos to the south. It is scary moving across the country. Here is what we are looking for. Thanks so much.

3. Low crime
Go with Belmont, San Carlos, San Mateo or Burlingame. Nice and safe suburban areas with good schools and there is no bay to cross, no tolls to pay. Traffic on just about all bridges can be a slow crawl and BART is getting to be expensive. There is a commuter train from all these towns to San Francisco caltrain.com - home. $3k for rent is high - expect to pay less.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:19 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,146,931 times
Palo Alto is an easy "cheap" choice for families; Stanford's presence nearby entails both many rental houses (priced for poor grad students and young faculty) and an intellectual culture not seen in typical cities/suburbs

Many families who can choose to both live and work in SF are rather affluent, as tolerable newer housing (w/modern suburban tech, amenities, garages and space) and private schools are fairly costly in SF itself

Public schools generally suck anywhere in CA (or in US for that matter); but some of best public schools in US are in Palo Alto...measure public schools by % of kids who enter top 5 colleges

CA is home of car culture; some of world's fastest urban commutes are on SF Peninsula; door-to-door drive from Palo Alto to SF's FinDt is ~35mins, even in rush hr traffic (many SF yuppies do the daily drive in reverse from SF to PA, MenloPark or other SiliconValley suburbs)

Old 07-26-2009, 05:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,643,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastxgirl View Post

3. Low crime
I rented a 2,000 Sq Ft 2 bdrm for $2200 in OUTER RICHMOND DISTRICT OF SAN FRANCISCO and took the bus downtown. The 38 Bus runs every 15 minutes It worked out really good. kept my car in the garage for weeks at a time. Schools are good, lowest crime in the Bay Area. The majority of the population is Chinese but there are a lot of Russians too.
It's the section of the city west of the Golden Gate and North of the Park out to the Ocean. Commonly called the Avenues from 2nd -48th(at the Ocean)
If I could have afforded a house there I'd still be living there.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:02 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,057,115 times
San Carlos and Belmont are great places to raise a family. For Belmont, public schools are great through highschool. For San Carlos, I'd move before my children reach highschool age.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:18 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,966,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Palo Alto is an easy "cheap" choice for families; Stanford's presence nearby entails both many rental houses (priced for poor grad students and young faculty) and an intellectual culture not seen in typical cities/suburbs

Many families who can choose to both live and work in SF are rather affluent, as tolerable newer housing (w/modern suburban tech, amenities, garages and space) and private schools are fairly costly in SF itself

Public schools generally suck anywhere in CA (or in US for that matter); but some of best public schools in US are in Palo Alto...measure public schools by % of kids who enter top 5 colleges

CA is home of car culture; some of world's fastest urban commutes are on SF Peninsula; door-to-door drive from Palo Alto to SF's FinDt is ~35mins, even in rush hr traffic (many SF yuppies do the daily drive in reverse from SF to PA, MenloPark or other SiliconValley suburbs)
No, Palo Alto is not "cheap". It's actually one of the wealthiest communities in Northern Cal. Don't bother with this useless advice (and it's not anywhere within commuting distance to SF either). (This guy tends to obsess about big words, ultra wealthy financiers/hedge fund/sophisticated elite educated snobs/tech gurus that have undiagnosed Asperger's syndrome).

Anyway, in addition to some of the other towns mentioned in the South Bay (San Carlos, Belmont, Burlingame) .. also look into parts of the East Bay (Lafayette, Orinda, Moraga, Walnut Creek). All good choices and you get a little more for your money for rentals imo. It's a little warmer on this side of the Bay but this may or may not be a factor for you.

The schools are great and if you intend on staying long term, your child will actually get the choice to attend any of the high schools in the area. The public transportation (BART) will get your husband into the City in about 20-30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland