Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was right? Henry Gates or Cambridge Police
Henry louis gates 14 35.90%
Cambridge police 25 64.10%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:12 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times

Advertisements

The police officer was right in responding to the call. But Gates IMHO did nothing wrong. The police officers mentioned race in their police report and did not read Prof. Gates his moranda rights. Police who are and aren't racist some of them feel they have a higher level power of control with their badge and gun that exceeds their authority. I don't know that the officer is racist but he wanted to prove who is at a greater level of authority at the moment. The police should make an official apology to Prof. Gates.

People have to remember not too long ago Police officer's were turning hoses and dogs on people, were part of the KKK, and would beat whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, etc. Things have calmed down and we are living in different times. But police brutality and racial profiling is still a big problem.

Also, not sure why everyone is making a big deal about the caller not having beer with the President? Should the other officer have had a beer too?

Anyways, racial profiling is a big deal nationwide. Police also have a tough job and I admire them for trying to keep us safe. Can't we all just get along?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 10:56 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
But Gates IMHO did nothing wrong.
He was begging for a negative reaction, and he got his wish.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:01 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and it wouldn't be the first time someone changed their story..

Nita
True.

Again, assuming the transcript circulating the web is genuine (on the web there's about a 50/50 chance), the caller never said anything about black men. What I haven't seen though is the transcript of what was dispatched to the responding LEOs. The dispatch and the 911 call could be very different. Stories do tend to change as they go along.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:25 PM

fizbin, Prof. Gates is 75% white, his colleagues are white, friends are white, and teachings about African American studies and cultures at one of the most prestigues colleges in the nation so I doubt he was race baiting. If he wanted to race bait at his age don't you think he would have done so by now? Up until this point most people didn't even know who he was.

Anyone, regardless of color would have been outraged if they were arrested in their own home after showing ID proving residency. There is no excuse for the arrest. I'm not sure the whole situation would have escalated if both the officer and resident were of the same color (black and black and white and white).

Again, in the police report is where race was intergected. Of course Gates and most blacks found in the same situation would feel suspicous of the police base on history, so of course a guard is up.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
There is no excuse for the arrest.
I didn't say that there was. What I will say was that Gates' was f**king with the cops, and the cops reacted as cops predictably will, by arresting him. Read my first post (the second in this thread). There is plenty of blame to go around.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
fizbin, Prof. Gates is 75% white, his colleagues are white, friends are white, and teachings about African American studies and cultures at one of the most prestigues colleges in the nation so I doubt he was race baiting. If he wanted to race bait at his age don't you think he would have done so by now? Up until this point most people didn't even know who he was.

Anyone, regardless of color would have been outraged if they were arrested in their own home after showing ID proving residency. There is no excuse for the arrest. I'm not sure the whole situation would have escalated if both the officer and resident were of the same color (black and black and white and white).

Again, in the police report is where race was intergected. Of course Gates and most blacks found in the same situation would feel suspicous of the police base on history, so of course a guard is up.
Oh come on, you don't know that anymore than the rest of us do? People seem to think, or some do, anyone who teaches or even goes to Harvard are holier than thau.

Would this had happened had they all been the same color? That you could have been right about. The whole thing revolves around a couple of adults acting like kids and all are to blame.

Joe-ryder is right on: it is 50/50 what really happened. My guess and it is just that, the person making the call did say a couple of blacks or whatever, but then when she found out the entire story she backed down. Am I right, heck who knows? I certainly don't, it is just a guess. Regardless the whole thing has gotten out of hand and I still say, our President should be concentrating on things other than who is right and wrong about such a little thing..

Nita

Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My guess and it is just that, the person making the call did say a couple of blacks or whatever, but then when she found out the entire story she backed down. Am I right, heck who knows?
You are wrong. The tapes of the call are on the Internet. Race was not mentioned.

The caller was right to call, the cops were right to respond, Gates should have been more cooperative and not have gotten the cops grill, the cops should have walked away from the situation.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:19 AM

Nita,

Never ment to imply that people who go to Harvard are holier than thou. But being that he is an African American teaching African American Studies and doing all the varius documentaries and studies around race, books, and articles that he wouldn't be sensitive himself around race relations. Also, the President was asked about the issue he did not bring it up. The media and the opposing party are trying to create any sort of attention to the President. They don't really want the President to talk about health care anything that will serve as a distraction is to their benefit.

Fizbin, how can you prove that the Professor was "f'ing with the police" or that he was in the cops grill? Because it was in a report? Again, on the police report they mentioned that the caller mentioned race. Although, we know differently now. Uhm, Gates showed his ID don't know how more cooperative he needed to be?

Old 08-01-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Fizbin, how can you prove that the Professor was "f'ing with the police" or that he was in the cops grill?
There were multiple witnesses, including non-cops, and Gates has not denied it.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:58 PM

Was that before or after he was handcuffed and told he couldn't use his cane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland