Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superqtip182 View Post
What is with everyone up here driving under the speed limit everywhere I go? Don't just assume I speed, either, seriously. If you want to go under the speed limit, move over! You're even supposed to let people pass even if you ARE going the speed limit, so of course you should move to the right if you're going under! It's SO inconsiderate to just cruise in the left lane, ESPECIALLY when a person who wants to pass can't even pass the wrong way and just go to the right of you because there's a car there.

Dude, seriously, all I ask is that you either go at least the speed limit or move to the right. No, I'm not some "hot shot" driver who just needs to be ahead of everyone. JUST MOVE OVER OR STEP ON IT!

Also, WHY does everyone slam on their brakes in Petaluma to sit and stare at the corn maze? Seriously? SO RUDE!!! You people rubberneck SO much! Barriers, people being pulled over, accidents, the corn maze... GAH!!! JUST STOP IT! Just keep going! UGH!

P.S. If you're going under the speed limit and I can't pass you, just expect me to be laying down my horn. Jerks.
So what would like us here to do for you on this issue? I'm guessing that you are not having a good experience up in Sonoma Co?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 01:45 PM

94 posts, read 213,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
So what would like us here to do for you on this issue? I'm guessing that you are not having a good experience up in Sonoma Co?
um, it says it right there? Move to the right? Obviously if you're not part of this problem you can't fix it...

I have a gut feeling you're just trying to be devil's advocate.

And quite unsuccessfully, may I add.

Just keep right if you want to go under the speed limit. =)

Old 08-12-2009, 01:50 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superqtip182 View Post
um, it says it right there? Move to the right? Obviously if you're not part of this problem you can't fix it...

I have a gut feeling you're just trying to be devil's advocate.

And quite unsuccessfully, may I add.

Just keep right if you want to go under the speed limit. =)
No, I'm not trying to play devil's advocate..just commenting and a little bewildered on all of your complaining on this or that with every post.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:53 PM

94 posts, read 213,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
No, I'm not trying to play devil's advocate..just commenting and a little bewildered on all of your complaining on this or that with every post.
...Other people don't seem to be having such an issue with this thread.

If you have nothing to contribute just don't say anything, I guess.

Or do, I don't care, but don't expect to be satisfied.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:56 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
clapped out '89 Corolla
If they do manage to make it up to, say, 40MPH, you can bet you're talking something like 5000 RPM in first gear - DUDE, doan my exhaust soun BAD? LOL!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:30 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Northbound, the issue is the grade as you approach the bridge over the river. I find that most drivers do not actively compensate for up and down grades on the accelerator. They don't teach that in driver's ed (what little formal driver's ed is even done) any more. Not to harsh on FOBs, but often, when you see a car dramatically slowing going up a hill, then speeding up going down the hill, it's often driven by a FOBish looking person. Just saying ...
My wife was a Chinese immigrant. She came here as a child so she wasn't technically FOB. She had been a US citizen for over 10 years when I met her.

I am a large man who has pursued many very dangerous recreations. In short I don't scare easily but the few moments of my life that I recall sheer terror was with her behind the wheel.

She only drove at one speed, 45 mph. She drove 45 on an open freeway through the desert, through school zones, down the sidewalk, through the garage door..... She was the epitome of the stereotype. Ok, she wasn't that bad but she did drive way too slow on the freeway and did manage to take out the garage door and she hauled butt in parking lots. When she drove, I sat in the back. Some people prefer to see their doom coming but I kind of like surprises. Have you ever noticed that you frequently see Asian men sitting in the back with their wives driving? There's a reason!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:13 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
My wife was a Chinese immigrant. She came here as a child so she wasn't technically FOB. She had been a US citizen for over 10 years when I met her.

I am a large man who has pursued many very dangerous recreations. In short I don't scare easily but the few moments of my life that I recall sheer terror was with her behind the wheel.

She only drove at one speed, 45 mph. She drove 45 on an open freeway through the desert, through school zones, down the sidewalk, through the garage door..... She was the epitome of the stereotype. Ok, she wasn't that bad but she did drive way too slow on the freeway and did manage to take out the garage door and she hauled butt in parking lots. When she drove, I sat in the back. Some people prefer to see their doom coming but I kind of like surprises. Have you ever noticed that you frequently see Asian men sitting in the back with their wives driving? There's a reason!
Of course, the opposite extreme would be the immigrant from Europe or Japan, who got their license over there before coming here. Folks like that put us all to shame - I attempt to rise to their level.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:38 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There is no such thing as a "fast lane" in the Bay Area.
But there are whole bunch of 'stupid lanes'.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:14 PM

205 posts, read 589,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I don't drive much on the freeway (although we did just take a driving trip to LA for my 50th birthday -- and my little Matrix just LUVS 90 miles an hour!)

So, I see more of this on the urban streets. People NEVER drive the posted speed limit on streets. And what's worse -- in San Leandro they are cranking the options down -- a few years back they took four lane E 14th street and cranked it down to two for a portion of it on the Oakland Side -- and Bancroft Ave, too, and rumor has it they are going to reconfigure San Leandro Blvd down a couple of lanes, too.

From where I live, San Leandro is where I shop -- and as noted in lots of places -- I'm getting to the point where I'll make the drive to Alameda....

Hi Tallysmom. The High street Alameda bridge scares the ooodles out of me. I like San Leandro...especially BayFair mall.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 PM

807 posts, read 1,302,395 times
Drivers in Napa County ain't much better..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland